The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Mar. 03, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I hate Benning but he's installed a great scouting team.  The Canucks are not mediocre at drafting anymore.

So.  Fire Benning and keep the scouts.  Because he really isn't very good at other things, especially contracts and we have some very important ones coming up in next few years.  The type that can ruin a team if done wrong.  

Also.  We're rebuilding right?  You kinda need draft picks in order to do that.  If you don't have extra picks you're just treading water.  

Just get rid of Benning and get rid of the dinosaurs that are resting on their laurels for being ex-players or friends with people in high places like Aquilini. Keep Brackett and Gradin.

What extra draft picks?? Benning doesn't believe in extra draft picks. He'd rather invest in a once high-touted first-rounder reclamation project that only needs a change of scenery to fully break out.

28 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

LOL. You're the guy, or should I say, child, who was saying this team is right there in the playoff race and they are a legit threat. 

Keep having to remind myself the majority of this board is like 12. 

12 or ringette players

3 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

We didn't have the freedom to move Kesler out our hand were tied there but I'll agree with you on the rest. But injuries is not Benning fault and I could easily have seen us moving Tanev, Sutter Sven this deadline, but couldn't with the massive amount of injuries we've dealt with then maybe I wouldn't be so pissed that Edler is still here

Not according to McKenzie.  He checked and said there was no indication that the Canucks were looking to move Sutter before his injury and that teams aren't looking for players with term anyway.  

27 minutes ago, Great Granny said:

Is this considered year one of the rebuild? If so, Horvat has been wasted. The Eriksson and Beagle contracts aren't going to help. Edler for three more years won't help. We've seen three straight years of this quality of hockey. High picks help but they've whiffed on 2 of 4. It's concerning to say the least.

This is considered year 4 of the rebuild.  

It may feel like year 1 because hockey players take 2-3 years to make it into the NHL, unlike the NBA and NFL.  

That's why Benning has a big summer ahead of him.  Getting Hughes onto the team alone won't be enough.  We need a very strong free agent signing to help out. 

1 minute ago, Seinfeld said:

Just get rid of Benning and get rid of the dinosaurs that are resting on their laurels for being ex-players or friends with people in high places like Aquilini. Keep Brackett and Gradin.

What extra draft picks?? Benning doesn't believe in extra draft picks. He'd rather invest in a once high-touted first-rounder reclamation project that only needs a change of scenery to fully break out.

You’re like the little bad-fan devil dude on my one shoulder, saying what I’m thinking. 

5 minutes ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

i live and die for the canucks 

i just wanna see them winning a cup before end of the world

So do I, badly, but the odds against doomsday don't look that great right now.

Just keep playing the youth and let the vets ride the Pine. A good way to learn the NHL game and ensure a higher pick. But please toughen the line-up, it's way too soft right now. Reeves was have way too much fun. 

1 minute ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Benning is pretty much going to waste Horvat's prime years with these terrible roster's he puts together.

He is someone you look at to package with the 6th-9th pick to get Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko.

Trade Horvat for Brady Tkachuk.

Keep rebuilding with kids. 

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Not according to McKenzie.  He checked and said there was no indication that the Canucks were looking to move Sutter before his injury and that teams aren't looking for players with term anyway.  

Sorry do not agree. You never know what offer could happen at the deadline and it really doesn't matter they were all injured so your point is mute. Another thing I blame the owner more then Benning for the slow reaction on the rebuild

20 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

That is a ridiculous statement, Our team is young and full of injuries with a handfull of young players who played in the ncaa and sel and are still getting use to the grind. Im sure next year we'll see drastic improvement with our defence. Benning is not responsible for these stupid NT contracts that seem to have handcuffed his ability to move out players at specific times like Edler, Hard to rebuild a team when your left with the contract previous GM's signed not caring about the consiquences in the future because they wouldn't be here. Having said that horrible game

Rofl. 

Are we still using the BUT GILLIS?!?!? argument?

The NTC thing shouldn't even be used as an excuse at this point. He gave NTCs to good players who took discounts.

Meanwhile, this GM has given NTCs to overpaid players. Cringe.

34 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This is the team, unfortunately. I hope Benning swings for the fences in the off season, instead of more tinkering by signing reclamation projects. They can't expect little Hughes to save this team. Leivo, Pearson, Schaller, Spooner - I'd trade them all for 1 Top Line winger. Canucks are cheap though.  

So, was Gudbranson really the problem? 48-19 in shots is embarrassing. Markstrom was great again.  

Agree except on who being moved it should be Sutter, Tanev, Sven, Pouliot, Grandlund and Schenn

Well I watched the game a little late, had a butt load of yard work to finish up to get ready for spring.

Around 1:30 I was thinking to myself "PVR's are awesome"

Well, &^@# you PVR. Ya jerk.

That game was a stinker. Keep this crap up and Marky is demanding a trade. 

Awful stuff Canucks (except Marky). Lucky the game wasn't 9-0.

This year has been strange, because the team has been so inconsistent. While many other teams, like St. Louis, Arizona, Dallas, and other teams around them are going on streaks, the Canucks have regressed and played worse.

One detail that I've noticed is that good team like Tampa Bay stay close together when they are coming out of their own zone. The Canucks repeatedly space themselves too far apart and the defence man get isolated and then end up just passing the puck in desperation. It seems like a fundamental part of why their game isn't good, because they aren't doing the basics well. Basic passing, basic spacing between players, and basic positioning in their own zone.

On the power play, it seems that they have so little confidence that they forget how the most basic of plays - get players in front of the net and shoot from everywhere to get bounces. The Canucks pass the puck around the perimeter and yet often don't have anyone in front of the net to get reflections or screen the goalie.

One worry I have is that Elias Pettersson is not going to improve next year, because teams will know his style of play and shut him down. We've already seen it start to happen as he gets more attention. He needs to gain strength physically and mentally, because it's only going to get tougher next year.

Archived