The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Josh Teves

48 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Before Samuelsson, raymond and malhotra went down we had Lappy, Higgins and tambellini. That was a mighty fine 4th line.

Yes correct.

My memory was stifled to what remained by the time we hit the finals.

12 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Well Tampa Bay and Las Vegas roll 4 lines and 6 D and get after you.

Each line has speed and scoring and in the case of Las Vegas, size too.

I'd argue the Winnipeg Jets have 4 lines that can score.

Brandon Tanev has 13 goals playing on a 4th line with Jack Roslovic a highly touted prospect.

Washington had 4 lines last year that could score. Beagle may not have been scoring,but his 4th line linemate Smith Pelley ,was scoring big time clutch goals if you remember vs Las Vegas.

Las Vegas 4th line, they were a cup finalist last year, is inherently going to be better than ours.

But you know what?

Its just my opinion, but I believe we have a great 4th line for where we are at! We're in a cap world. The days of Detroit signing Mike Modano to be on their 4th line, run amok scoring are gone. 

And look carefully at Vegas. You are remembering a key goal or two in last years play off's. Bellamare, Carrier and Reaves will all be under 20 points.  Which is fine for a 4th line. And exactly where Motte is at... What they really bring is what Motte does. But at damaging weight. 

Not scoring.

And last? They had the expansion draft. A unique, and very different opportunity to build their team. Teams protected their best 10 players. Vegas had the run of the best of your depth players. Its not surprising either they have the best 4th line in the league. Benning does not have the same luxury to build our team. 

5 hours ago, shazzam said:

Ok so key to success is to have a stacked roster. You get that Benning? 

Key is not have large amounts of cap space devoted to guys who don't produce enough offence.

You can have a couple vets for leadership.

Sutter is redundant with Beagle. And Eriksson is just a bad contract and bad fit on a 4th line.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

See, I keep reading this sentiment all over CDC (including last week in the Sutter thread). While I don't generally disagree that should be the eventual goal, does ANYONE think we're currently in the same conversation as any of the team's you list below that would be in this conversation?

So we're 'failing', mid-rebuild, because we haven't got the depth of the like top 5 contending teams in the league? :blink:

Yes, the hope is we get somewhere near that roll 4 lines 'ideal' in the next few years. We're not there yet. Until then, you don't simply toss aside perfectly capable NHL'ers in guys like Motte or Sutter without the proper framework in place to support it. We're still building that framework.

Well the Canucks have another Motte in their system named Will Lockwood who is a speedy undersized guy who doesn't mind hitting.

The point is Sutter and Motte are not difficult to replace.

Beagle can do what Sutter does.

Gaudette has shown he is ready to be a full time 3C next year.

They can't have Sutter taking up a spot or Loui Eriksson.

I want to see MacEwen being given a chance along with Virtanen in the bottom six.

The Canucks should look at d men in free agency and and potential trades.

At forward they are pretty set already.

Have a logjam actually.

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Better version?  

I think that is optimistic. Motte was a good prospect as well, part of the best line in the NCAA hockey a few years ago. I was not surprised it was he who made the Canucks this past fall. And he looked like he deserved the role, beat an NHL veteran (Gagner) out of a job by flying out of the box every shift. Relentlessly tracking down defenseman on the fore check. Which he has kept up through the season. One reason the Canucks did better than expectation this year has been the work of his 4th line?

There are discussions Jasek is being worthy of a callup. But its not like he is blowing the AHL over. He has 21 points, similar production to Motte at a similar age. Similar reports he is approaching all with the correct work ethic & discipline. 

I am happy for Jasek to have a shot? My take is he simply has to do like Motte, and outplay other players to earn it.  

He just needs the opportunity. I've seen him play in the Czech league and in Utica. He's not getting the ice time that he deserves. I've seen him from the 1st line to the 4th and he doesn't disappoint in any role. I've seen Motte. He's fine, but Jasek needs a look as well. Teves.

33 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Well the Canucks have another Motte in their system named Will Lockwood who is a speedy undersized guy who doesn't mind hitting.

The point is Sutter and Motte are not difficult to replace.

Beagle can do what Sutter does.

Gaudette has shown he is ready to be a full time 3C next year.

They can't have Sutter taking up a spot or Loui Eriksson.

I want to see MacEwen being given a chance along with Virtanen in the bottom six.

The Canucks should look at d men in free agency and and potential trades.

At forward they are pretty set already.

Have a logjam actually.

Will Lockwood is not NHL ready (either is Jasek likely). Motte is.

Disagree that they're not difficult to replace.

I don't disagree we have a bit of a log jam and will likely see moves this summer.

Do disagree that Guadette replaces Sutter's role. They have entirely different roles (even if theoretically occupying the same 3C roster spot). Until we have a top 6 that doesn't require sheltering to the tune of Pettersson's 70% O zone starts/better players to play with Horvat, there's a place for Sutter on this team to supply those starts (which falls on Horvat in his absence and as we can see, leads to less scoring).

Now a LOT of that could possibly change this summer and here's hoping it does. But until then, you're attempting to remove the scaffolding before all the work is done.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Will Lockwood is not NHL ready (either is Jasek likely). Motte is.

Disagree that they're not difficult to replace.

I don't disagree we have a bit of a log jam and will likely see moves this summer.

Do disagree that Guadette replaces Sutter's role. They have entirely different roles (even if theoretically occupying the same 3C roster spot). Until we have a top 6 that doesn't require sheltering to the tune of Pettersson's 70% O zone starts/better players to play with Horvat, there's a place for Sutter on this team to supply those starts (which falls on Horvat in his absence and as we can see, leads to less scoring).

Now a LOT of that could possibly change this summer and here's hoping it does. But until then, you're attempting to remove the scaffolding before all the work is done.

Motte can be replaced by MacEwen.

Where do Sutter and Eriksson fit?

Goldobin-Petterson-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Leivo

Pearson-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Sutter/Eriksson

Motte as the extra forward.

Can only be one of Sutter or Eriksson back next year if this team is serious about taking a step forward with the young core toward a playoff spot.

4 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Baertschi-Horvat-Leivo

Can only be one of Sutter or Eriksson back next year if this team is serious about taking a step forward with the young core toward a playoff spot.

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

15 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Baertschi-Horvat-Leivo

So you replace a proven player with an unproven player - and make the proven player the spare.

And you want to take away a proven center in Sutter, who we missed for more than half the season.

Do you honestly want the Canucks to tank again next year? That isn't how you build a team, IMO.

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

So you replace a proven player with an unproven player - and make the proven player the spare.

And you want to take away a proven center in Sutter, who we missed for more than half the season.

Do you honestly want the Canucks to tank again next year? That isn't how you build a team, IMO.

But think of all the cap space we'll have! :lol:

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Yeah, because we are "only" a few players away from a playoff spot. Let's sign ALLLLLLLLLL THE UFAs.

Naaah we'll just role in to the offseason with like $40m of cap space and re-sign our RFA's and done.

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yes correct.

My memory was stifled to what remained by the time we hit the finals.

Scorched earth! The Hodgson (he was fresh out of junior and over his head), Oreskavich and Glass line combined for 1 point in 51 man games that year.

20 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Does it matter that I too am a pretender ?

A fan nonetheless, I like the signing. Sounds like the right kind of kid to develop in the Canucks organization with his office interests alone. 

His game if able to translate to the NHL is exactly what Vancouver and the other 30 teams need more of. Again as a fan I'd assume with multiple interested clubs he has to be doing something right.

We all are MV - but I don't see you pretending to know whether or not Teves will ever make the NHL, what he'd be capable of if he did, etc.

And as usual, couldn't agree more with the rest of your post

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

We all are MV - but I don't see you pretending to know whether or not Teves will ever make the NHL, what he'd be capable of if he did, etc.

And as usual, couldn't agree more with the rest of your post

It’s a cant lose for us, right?  The guy is 24, so he is physically mature.  These last 10 games will be his tryout.  

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Who is unproven?

The Canucks are still in the process of building their young core.

Gaudette looks ready to me to be an NHLer.

4th line wing isn't a position that I think you need a "proven guy"

MacEwen can handle himself in a fight and is willing to hit.

13 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Who is unproven?

I'm talking about getting rid of Sutter, who is proven. We don't even KNOW if Macewen can win a faceoff.

Who is unproven?

I don't think anyone's disputing that. Doesn't mean he'd replace Sutter's role though.

And IMO, the team (top 6 in particular) isn't ready to no longer need Sutter, in that role.

Who is unproven?

Man, if all a player has to do to be proven around here is play 4 games then Jayson Megna looks like a superstar....

23 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I'm talking about getting rid of Sutter, who is proven. We don't even KNOW if Macewen can win a faceoff.

I don't think Big Mac would be up to replace Sutter.  I think, in the NHL, Big Mac is a winger.  Gaudette replaces Sutter, and he's proven already he's ready to do so.  

I don't know what value Sutter has in trade, but I'm hoping Benning moves him.  

Archived