The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Josh Teves

28 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Motte is a no brainer.  

Pouliot?  I think he'll get another pact.  Schenn an AHL pact.  They can sign him to an NHL pact if they want to call him up. Pouliot's fancy stats wont be as bad as most make them out to be.  

I like Motte's speed to forecheck and backcheck and he will throw some hits despite being one of the smallest guys in the team.

Having said that, I need to see more offensively from him he doesn't have the size to be a great grinder. 

I would rather have a bigger body on the 4th line like a DeVante Smith-Pelley, if his conditioning is in check, or Brandon Tanev.

Goldobin-Petterson-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Leivo

Pearson-Gaudette- Virtanen

Roussel- Beagle-MacEwen

Smith- Pelley

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Biega

Teves, Schenn

Markstrom

Demko

3 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I like Motte's speed to forecheck and backcheck and he will throw some hits despite being one of the smallest guys in the team.

Having said that, I need to see more offensively from him he doesn't have the size to be a great grinder. 

I would rather have a bigger body on the 4th line like a DeVante Smith-Pelley, if his conditioning is in check, or Brandon Tanev.

Baertschi-Horvat-Leivo

Roussel- Beagle-MacEwen

Smith- Pelley

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Biega

Teves, Schenn

Markstrom

Demko

I have a differing opinion.

I love the way Motte pressures and hounds the puck.  DSP is not fast enough for what we want.

I'm on board with Tanev though! 

Speaking of which, we have really missed Jake recently. We're clearly better with a 220 lb Motte.  Jake has speed...  :towel:

14 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I have a differing opinion.

I love the way Motte pressures and hounds the puck.  DSP is not fast enough for what we want.

I'm on board with Tanev though! 

Speaking of which, we have really missed Jake recently. We're clearly better with a 220 lb Motte.  Jake has speed...  :towel:

Beagle doesn't bring much offence but I still I expected more out of the 4th line this year with Motte and Eriksson .

I think in the modern NHL good teams have 4 lines they can roll who all shoulder differing levels of offensive responsibility.

Every lines job should be to create offence and score goals while not being a liability defense wise.

There should be no line that has the sole focus of just being a checking/grinding/energy line that doesn't create offence whatsoever.

Every line has to contribute offence.

It's why the Canucks need to get rid of a guy like Sutter who is a terrible passer and playmaker and kills offence when he has the puck as a 3C.

Loui Eriksson is another.  

Both guys are holding this team back because of their style of games that don't fit with any line mates.

They are taking up roster spots and cap space for younger players.

13 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Beagle doesn't bring much offence but I still I expected more out of the 4th line this year with Motte and Eriksson .

I think in the modern NHL good teams have 4 lines they can roll who all shoulder differing levels of offensive responsibility.

Every lines job should be to create offence and score goals while not being a liability defense wise.

There should be no line that has the sole focus of just being a checking/grinding/energy line that doesn't create offence whatsoever.

Every line has to contribute offence.

It's why the Canucks need to get rid of a guy like Sutter who is a terrible passer and playmaker and kills offence when he has the puck as a 3C.

Loui Eriksson is another.  

Both guys are holding this team back because of their style of games that don't fit with any line mates.

They are taking up roster spots and cap space for younger players.

4 lines that can score?

Who honestly has that...

In 20111 we had two scoring lines. An ardent shut down line with Malhotra, Torres & Hansen.  Not even, really, a 4th line to speak of?

I am happy we have a 4th line. They have a role. And they can win shifts.  Look at the Leafs game?  A mighty mite smaller than Motte had a hat trick the game before they played us.  Their coach was quoted as saying he could not put them on the ice against our 4th line. Every shift ended up with a face off in front of the Leafs goal.  That still counts for something.

Beagle won a championship in Washington. Did not score there either? Championship teams routinely have players like it.

A coach should be able to deploy players that can win shifts. Beagle, Eriksson & Motte chase down D men in their zone, hound passing lanes, apply pressure.

I'll take it.

Someone else can count beans, we're not at the cap.

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

4 lines that can score?

Who honestly has that...

In 20111 we had two scoring lines. An ardent shut down line with Malhotra, Torres & Hansen.  Not even, really, a 4th line to speak of?

I am happy we have a 4th line. They have a role. And they can win shifts.  Look at the Leafs game?  A mighty mite smaller than Motte had a hat trick the game before they played us.  Their coach was quoted as saying he could not put them on the ice against our 4th line. Every shift ended up with a face off in front of the Leafs goal.  That still counts for something.

Beagle won a championship in Washington. Did not score there either? Championship teams routinely have players like it.

A coach should be able to deploy players that can win shifts. Beagle, Eriksson & Motte chase down D men in their zone, hound passing lanes, apply pressure.

I'll take it.

Well Tampa Bay and Las Vegas roll 4 lines and 6 D and get after you.

Each line has speed and scoring and in the case of Las Vegas, size too.

I'd argue the Winnipeg Jets have 4 lines that can score.

Brandon Tanev has 13 goals playing on a 4th line with Jack Roslovic a highly touted prospect.

Washington had 4 lines last year that could score. Beagle may not have been scoring,but his 4th line linemate Smith Pelley ,was scoring big time clutch goals if you remember vs Las Vegas.

10 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

4 lines that can score?

Who honestly has that...

I'll take it.

Tampa and Toronto...... not many :p

Im really excited about this signing. He looks like he could be another free roster player like Troy Stetcher. It will be interesting what lines the Canucks decide to ice next season. I think Tanev can be traded at this point.  This might take Bowen Bryam out of conversation for our first round pick. Hope we pick another right shot defence man with our second and third picks this draft. 

Defence prospects

Hughes           Woo

Teves              Chatfield 

Juolevi            

Sautner           

Brisebois        

Tryamkin

Rathbone 

7 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Brandon Tanev has 13 goals playing on a 4th line with Jack Roslovic a highly touted prospect.

Washington had 4 lines last year that could score. Beagle may not have been scoring,but his 4th line linemate Smith Pelley ,was scoring big time clutch goals if you remember vs Las Vegas.

Ok so key to success is to have a stacked roster. You get that Benning? 

8 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Those saying we have a "logjam" on the left side need to keep in mind everyone outside of Edler (potentially Hughes) is bad on that left side. It's more of a stick jam than a logjam. 

Hutton has been a bright spot 

Juolevi I wouldn't write off just yet

16 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Hutton has been a bright spot 

Juolevi I wouldn't write off just yet

Hutton would be better served as a 3rd pair guy, and Juolevi likely won't come in and be an instant top 4 guy if he even starts next season with the Canucks. So my point still stands that we don't have a logjam at LD.

14 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Hutton would be better served as a 3rd pair guy, and Juolevi likely won't come in and be an instant top 4 guy if he even starts next season with the Canucks. So my point still stands that we don't have a logjam at LD.

Hutton really stepped up during the Edler injury he played the most minutes on the team and didnt look out classed. I would give him a top 4 nod. And Edler needs to be signed as our veteran D presence I would say there is a bit of a log Jam with Quin and Juolevi both looking to get on that 3rd pairing and boot their way up the depth chart. There is a bit of a log jam but a good one to have.

11 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

See, I keep reading this sentiment all over CDC (including last week in the Sutter thread). While I don't generally disagree that should be the eventual goal, does ANYONE think we're currently in the same conversation as any of the team's you list below that would be in this conversation?

11 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

So we're 'failing', mid-rebuild, because we haven't got the depth of the like top 5 contending teams in the league? :blink:

Yes, the hope is we get somewhere near that roll 4 lines 'ideal' in the next few years. We're not there yet. Until then, you don't simply toss aside perfectly capable NHL'ers in guys like Motte or Sutter without the proper framework in place to support it. We're still building that framework.

12 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Baertschi-Horvat-Leivo

Roussel- Beagle-MacEwen

Smith- Pelley

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Biega

Teves, Schenn

Markstrom

Demko

Jasek is a better version of Motte. It's time to start give our young guys a chance. If we're building a team through the draft then we need to see them get a chance when we know they can play. Jasek has been a pro for several years now and it's time to give him a look.

11 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

In 2011 we had two scoring lines. An ardent shut down line with Malhotra, Torres & Hansen.  Not even, really, a 4th line to speak of?

Before Samuelsson, raymond and malhotra went down we had Lappy, Higgins and tambellini. That was a mighty fine 4th line.

37 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Jasek is a better version of Motte. It's time to start give our young guys a chance. If we're building a team through the draft then we need to see them get a chance when we know they can play. Jasek has been a pro for several years now and it's time to give him a look.

Better version?  

I think that is optimistic. Motte was a good prospect as well, part of the best line in the NCAA hockey a few years ago. I was not surprised it was he who made the Canucks this past fall. And he looked like he deserved the role, beat an NHL veteran (Gagner) out of a job by flying out of the box every shift. Relentlessly tracking down defenseman on the fore check. Which he has kept up through the season. One reason the Canucks did better than expectation this year has been the work of his 4th line?

There are discussions Jasek is being worthy of a callup. But its not like he is blowing the AHL over. He has 21 points, similar production to Motte at a similar age. Similar reports he is approaching all with the correct work ethic & discipline. 

I am happy for Jasek to have a shot? My take is he simply has to do like Motte, and outplay other players to earn it.  

Archived