The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bell Media fires David Pratt/Dave Tomlinson from 1040 morning show

EP Phone Home

46 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Pratt should have been gone ages ago, good riddance.

They did cut him loose a number of years ago but hired him back when Bro Jake started up.  Bro needed somebody who actually knew something about sports.  Thing was, Pratt only pretended to know something.

Seriously, Pratt started as a DJ in 1974 and was hired on the original group at TSN in 1984 and hosted the show Last Call.  He joined Team 1040 in 2001 and the Pratt and Taylor show (2001-11) was actually the highest rated sports talk show in the country for a while.  I think it broke down after the now infamous on air argument on whether poker was indeed a sport.  Pratt stormed out of the studio in the middle of the show leaving Taylor to finish alone.  Pratt was also known for making misogynist comments on air.  Bell Media had taken control of the station and decided not to renew Pratt's contract.

He was hired by CKNW from 2011-13 and came back to TSN 1040 to join the Bro Jake Show when Team 1040 was rebranded TSN 1040

Pratt has a history of trouble in the media and was fired as a CBC columnist in 2008 for plagiarism.

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

They did cut him loose a number of years ago but hired him back when Bro Jake started up.  Bro needed somebody who actually knew something about sports.  Thing was, Pratt only pretended to know something.

Seriously, Pratt started as a DJ in 1974 and was hired on the original group at TSN in 1984 and hosted the show Last Call.  He joined Team 1040 in 2001 and the Pratt and Taylor show (2001-11) was actually the highest rated sports talk show in the country for a while.  I think it broke down after the now infamous on air argument on whether poker was indeed a sport.  Pratt stormed out of the studio in the middle of the show leaving Taylor to finish alone.  Pratt was also known for making misogynist comments on air.  Bell Media had taken control of the station and decided not to renew Pratt's contract.

He was hired by CKNW from 2011-13 and came back to TSN 1040 to join the Bro Jake Show when Team 1040 was rebranded TSN 1040

Pratt has a history of trouble in the media and was fired as a columnist in 2008 for plagiarism.

All things considered it's astonishing he managed to stick in the business that long.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

"Hey Dave, you're fired."

I get that, but what we know is that today's poll question is getting a huge response.  HUGE.  It's truly incredible (chortle).  Amazing.

"No, just get out."

Okay I'm fired, I get that.  I get it.  But there's no question about it, the morning show is great, right Kuze?  Back me up on this, brother (chuckle gufaw).

"Like, NOW."

(Hyuk yuk) now listen.  Fired yes, I get that.  I totally get that.  No doubt about it.  It's what everyone's talking about this morning.  But right now we're going to bring in...

"Security..."

prv0504npratt01.jpg?w=300&quality=60&str

2 hours ago, Rim Jobson said:

This news disappoints me. Pratt may have not always made a lot of sense but his show was always one of my favorites. Frankly I cant understand why there's so much hatred for the man on this forum.

Should have been skewered years ago after his comments about Todd Bertuzzi’s wife..  

Low life liability to any public broadcast system.

if it walks and talks like an ass,  it’s an ass.

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Maybe 1040 goes out on a limb and checks to see if Dan Russell wants a gig?

I liked Dan before he got all bitter, perhaps a few years away has lightened his outlook?

Not sure if I'd be willing to take the risk on bitter Dan. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Should have been skewered years ago after his comments about Todd Bertuzzi’s wife..  

Low life liability to any public broadcast system.

if it walks and talks like an ass,  it’s an ass.

What did he say about Bert's wife?

Memories fade, but I heard him say Something to the effects of..   “ And have you seen his wife?..  I wouldn’t mind, if you know what I’m saying”.

The comment came out of the blue when Pratt was berating Bert for offering difficult interviews after the games.

• Cheers 1

My bet is TSN 1040 is going to hire young broadcasters, and keep the salaries down. The only properties they have is MLS, NFL, CFL, and Premier League. 

Other than that, Tennis, Golf, and Curling. 

I'm surprised that Ferraro and Bob Mac have stuck with TSN. You'd think they would have bolted for Sportsnet long ago. 

I wonder what the future holds for TSN? Sportsnet has another 7 years remaining, but TSN does have the regional rights to Canadiens, Jets, and Senators. 

Both TSN and Sportsnet split the rights to the Maple Leafs. (TSN for regional, Sportsnet for National).

Pratt should never have been hired back after his poker is a sport hissy fit. 

Taylor "I put in more effort folding laundry....."

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Memories fade, but I heard him say Something to the effects of..   “ And have you seen his wife?..  I wouldn’t mind, if you know what I’m saying”.

The comment came out of the blue when Pratt was berating Bert for offering difficult interviews after the games.

That's what they used to do with lots of women.  Celebs etc......"would ya?  Ha ha ha".....totally off side.....that stopped after Pratt wasn't renewed in 2011

• Cheers 2

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

How much longer does TSN 1040 have before it's done?  

Hopefully not too long. Not enough talent to have 2 sports talk stations. Hopefully we can make one acceptable station to listen too.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Seinfeld said:

LMAO

Idk, I never really had a problem with Pratt.

Pratt & Taylor was one of the best Vancouver sports radio segments I've ever listened to. They were even on TV at one point doing their radio show, like that Bob McCowen dude. Dunno why they split them up when they did that massive overhaul of 1040 personalities because that combo was both informative and entertaining.

Donny refused to goto TO when SN took over hockey in Canada. We always had sportsnet pacific prior to Rogers taking the helm but everything now is centered out of TO(Sucks). It was better back then for BC hockey fans becauuse we had a pregame show on the TV as well as a post game show now we have nothing. All we get is TO sportcasters and as we all know they don't care about anything west of Ontario.

• Upvote 3

eventually 1040 will be like Sports Page, something you think you maybe heard about one time way back. Good riddance. If we could only somehow do this with twitter. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

eventually 1040 will be like Sports Page, something you think you maybe heard about one time way back. Good riddance. If we could only somehow do this with twitter. 

Do you remember the short lived Sports Station on 730 am?  I liked the morning show with a funny host (I forget his name) and would listen every day.  Then one morning, it was all of a sudden "All Traffic".  I think that's where 1040 is headed.  One day it will be "All Weather" or something like that. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do you remember the short lived Sports Station on 730 am?  I liked the morning show with a funny host (I forget his name) and would listen every day.  Then one morning, it was all of a sudden "All Traffic".  I think that's where 1040 is headed.  One day it will be "All Weather" or something like that. 

honestly I'm not sure, but it certainly sounds like what will happen to 1040. And needs to happen. 

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

My bet is TSN 1040 is going to hire young broadcasters, and keep the salaries down. The only properties they have is MLS, NFL, CFL, and Premier League. 

Other than that, Tennis, Golf, and Curling. 

I'm surprised that Ferraro and Bob Mac have stuck with TSN. You'd think they would have bolted for Sportsnet long ago. 

I wonder what the future holds for TSN? Sportsnet has another 7 years remaining, but TSN does have the regional rights to Canadiens, Jets, and Senators. 

Both TSN and Sportsnet split the rights to the Maple Leafs. (TSN for regional, Sportsnet for National).

Pratt should never have been hired back after his poker is a sport hissy fit. 

Taylor "I put in more effort folding laundry....."

They're not hiring anymore, just extending the three remaining shows for an hour which tells me the ratings aren't good and they need to save money.