The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bell Media fires David Pratt/Dave Tomlinson from 1040 morning show

EP Phone Home

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Never said he did.  Track record means body of work, aka his overall performance after being at the helm for 5 years.   "Cesspool of Negativity"  Is a little bit harsh lol.  Also funny considering when they had the broadcast rights everyone complained they never asked any tough questions.  

I thought I was going easy :P

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

For those saying Pratt just played the bad guy card... puhleease. That guy was too stupid to put on an act. 

Botchford just panders to his base like a $&!#ty politician. 

It wasn't the bad guy card he played.  He played the "entertainment" card.  He frequently raised that point too. How sports was entertainment first and foremost. So in his mind, deluded though it was, he thought being contraire would make for a more entertaining show. Or standing by dumb predictions. If it made callers angry that meant it was working.

As far as Botchford, I find it amusing that he could be pandering to "his base" yet have so many enemies in here.  Which is it?  I have yet to read exactly what position Botchford has that some in here disagree with.  He has railed about not starting the rebuild earlier. He railed about not playing the youth more earlier. He rails about LE. He's on about not stocking draft picks.  He travels with the team so its not like he's just editorializing from some lofty tower.  I get confused as to what is the beef?   I find him amusing and witty, albeit somewhat arrogant sounding. I admire he doesn't hold anything back. I don't want a company man telling me what Aqualini wants me to say.  Anyways, each to their own I guess. There are many sports commentators that I'd like to see gone long before Botch.

I also enjoy the Patcasts with Paterson.  But he is even more unleashed on there so I don't recommend it to those that are triggered too easily. 

Its a matter of taste I guess. I loathed Dan Russell in his last few years at least, yet he will always have some fans that loved his show.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

It wasn't the bad guy card he played.  He played the "entertainment" card.  He frequently raised that point too. How sports was entertainment first and foremost. So in his mind, deluded though it was, he thought being contraire would make for a more entertaining show. Or standing by dumb predictions. If it made callers angry that meant it was working.

As far as Botchford, I find it amusing that he could be pandering to "his base" yet have so many enemies in here.  Which is it?  I have yet to read exactly what position Botchford has that some in here disagree with.  He has railed about not starting the rebuild earlier. He railed about not playing the youth more earlier. He rails about LE. He's on about not stocking draft picks.  He travels with the team so its not like he's just editorializing from some lofty tower.  I get confused as to what is the beef?   I find him amusing and witty, albeit somewhat arrogant sounding. I admire he doesn't hold anything back. I don't want a company man telling me what Aqualini wants me to say.  Anyways, each to their own I guess. There are many sports commentators that I'd like to see gone long before Botch.

I also enjoy the Patcasts with Paterson.  But he is even more unleashed on there so I don't recommend it to those that are triggered too easily. 

Its a matter of taste I guess. I loathed Dan Russell in his last few years at least, yet he will always have some fans that loved his show.

Well people on this site referred to him as playing the bad guy card, so that is what I was responding to. I agree with you that I think he thought he was being entertaining. However, from my perspective, trying to be entertaining by playing the village idiot is the lowest form of entertainment in an industry that is already known for being very low brow. 

That Botchford panders to his base does not mean that he plays to the average Canucks fan on CDC. It means that he has found a niche group of Canucks fans on Twitter, The Athletic, and HFBoards, and although they may not make up the majority of Canucks fans, they are large enough to sustain Botchford's work. They could make up a minority of Canuck fans, but they seem to generate the majority of conversation about the team. It is like the 80/20 rule. 80% of the frequency of an activity is engaged in by 20% of all people. In this case, 80% of Twitter conversation is engaged in by 20% of Canucks fans that will spend every moment of their life calling for Benning to be fired. I'm not saying I like Benning, just that I wouldn't dedicate so much time to saying the same thing over and over again. This is why I don't respect Botchford; he does exactly that. He is a dumb man's version of a smart man. 

I don't have a problem with the notion of wanting a rebuild and wanting to see the young guys played. It is the obnoxious and repetitive manner in which he makes his case. He doesn't provide new information, he simply repeats himself for over the course of 8 months. I paid for my subscription to The Athletic. I gave Botchford as much attention as I could, but he is TMZ for a medium that is supposed to be offering higher-quality content. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Unpopular opinion but I like Botchford now, same with Jeff Patterson.  They used annoy me but you know they're right when they question management on some of their stupid decisions.  I liked it when Patterson asked JB to give the fans assurance that they won't expose Hughes in the expansion draft - with managements track record that had to be asked.  Same with Halford and Brough, before that hiatus I hated that show but I regularly listen to it when I can at work and I like the power hour when Botch joins in.  I bet Travis Green hates Jeff Patterson but it's his job to get information out to us, and a lot of what Pattersson reports get's repeated on here so a lot of people obviously follow him(I don't, not on social media).

Yeah Jpat was average to me before but now I like him alot. I think he does his job well. I appreciate that he tries to ask questions fans want to know. And I think his analysis on the team day-by-day is pretty spot on most of the time.

I've soured on Botchford alot over the course of this year. I appreciate his work, he does have an inside track & provides some interesting info. And I'm in total agreement when it pertains to the direction of this team, and how this management group hasn't been pro-active. He makes good points on that front.

But when it comes to player analysis he drives me crazy alot of the time. Everything with him is advanced stats. I get there's a huge place for it, but literally every take he has on a player is based solely on analytics.

Like recently crapping on Tyler Motte for example. If we are going to ignore how often that Beagle line starts in the Dzone, & say Motte's out-chanced by a large margin - therefore he's not a good player. Then I don't want to hear anymore P/P60 arguments about how Goldobin should be given more chances to be carried by Pettersson. Because Tyler Motte & Loui Eriksson both have more goals than him playing mostly on the 4th line/bottom 6.

I like Halford & Brough's show the most of either station. As a Canucks fan I especially relate to Brough. And I generally think they bring pretty balanced analysis which I like. And the intro's are great. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

I just can't listen to Dave Pratt say: "I got it" or " I get all that" when he really doesn't know anything about what he's talking about.

The ridiculous take he had early in the year, about trading a '3rd round pick' for a goalie to 'give the kids a chance' was so bad it stuck with me all year. Especially since now he's been so heavily on the Markstrom bandwagon, up until his release.

That's the one thing I'll give Botch alot of credit for, he did give it to Pratt for some of his brutal takes. And DT too would shut him down. 

I don't wish him losing his job, I'm sure he's a good guy. But I'm so glad I won't have to hear him tell us that he, "gets it", anymore. On the other hand, its too bad DT got the axe, he could always be counted on for solid analysis.

--------------

Edit:

Anyways so 1040 released this new lineup. And I think they are making a mistake putting Halford & Brough in the mornings. Their regular audience is going to be tuning in around 8 or 9. They are going to have to circle back to all their big talking points later in the show, and how are they going to expect alot of submissions for WWL unless they do it in the final hour, & probably towards the end too. 

Should put Donnie & Moj in the mornings. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

37 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Well people on this site referred to him as playing the bad guy card, so that is what I was responding to. I agree with you that I think he thought he was being entertaining. However, from my perspective, trying to be entertaining by playing the village idiot is the lowest form of entertainment in an industry that is already known for being very low brow. 

That Botchford panders to his base does not mean that he plays to the average Canucks fan on CDC. It means that he has found a niche group of Canucks fans on Twitter, The Athletic, and HFBoards, and although they may not make up the majority of Canucks fans, they are large enough to sustain Botchford's work. They could make up a minority of Canuck fans, but they seem to generate the majority of conversation about the team. It is like the 80/20 rule. 80% of the frequency of an activity is engaged in by 20% of all people. In this case, 80% of Twitter conversation is engaged in by 20% of Canucks fans that will spend every moment of their life calling for Benning to be fired. I'm not saying I like Benning, just that I wouldn't dedicate so much time to saying the same thing over and over again. This is why I don't respect Botchford; he does exactly that. He is a dumb man's version of a smart man. 

I don't have a problem with the notion of wanting a rebuild and wanting to see the young guys played. It is the obnoxious and repetitive manner in which he makes his case. He doesn't provide new information, he simply repeats himself for over the course of 8 months. I paid for my subscription to The Athletic. I gave Botchford as much attention as I could, but he is TMZ for a medium that is supposed to be offering higher-quality content. 

Fair enough DBTR.

I get that he can be obnoxious. He has a bad habit of over-talking and hogging the mic. I guess I have a high tolerance for that, as long as I basically agree with a host most times. Especially when he's ahead of the curve on a lot of issues.  A lot of what he's been crowing on about, now is accepted by most of CDC from what I'm reading. I don't fault him for repeating the truth for 8 months if its true and management doesn't change.

I think its a bit of a stretch to say that, even if there are 20% of twitter users who are fans, that dominate Canucks twitter talk, that they are all of the same philosophy. Or that they all hang on Botchfords every word.  Maybe they just agree with him along with others of the same opinion. I kind of wish I didn't agree with him so much, save me a lot of grief, but I can't help it. And I even like how brash he is about it. Too much tip-toeing around this team in the media in the past.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I just can't listen to Dave Pratt say: "I got it" or " I get all that" when he really doesn't know anything about what he's talking about.

The ridiculous take he had early in the year, about trading a '3rd round pick' for a goalie to 'give the kids a chance' was so bad it stuck with me all year. Especially since now he's been so heavily on the Markstrom bandwagon, up until his release.

That's the one thing I'll give Botch alot of credit for, he did give it to Pratt for some of his brutal takes. And DT too would shut him down. 

I don't wish him losing his job, I'm sure he's a good guy. But I'm so glad I won't have to hear him tell us that he, "gets it", anymore. On the other hand, its too bad DT got the axe, he could always be counted on for solid analysis.

--------------

Edit:

Anyways so 1040 released this new lineup. And I think they are making a mistake putting Halford & Brough in the mornings. Their regular audience is going to be tuning in around 8 or 9. They are going to have to circle back to all their big talking points later in the show, and how are they going to expect alot of submissions for WWL unless they do it in the final hour, & probably towards the end too. 

Should put Donnie & Moj in the mornings. 

Totally agree.

I actually wrote them this morning to express my opposition to moving Halford and Brough so early a start.  Not that it will do any good. I have things to do getting ready in the  morning.  I'm not really ready to give sports talk my attention until about 9.  I don't listen to Pratt anyways. The 9:00 start was perfect to click on as background.  Then Donnie and the Moj. 

IMO they made a huge mistake and gamble buying 1410.  Must be a struggle to keep both stations going. I guess they were counting on retaining the Canucks broadcast rights. Does anyone actually listen to that station?  No local content at all. The last thing I want to listen to is a couple of yankee shock jocks go on about some southern States highschool basketball team.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Pickly said:

Let me throw this by you, Tomlinson will probably get a gig somewhere else. What I’m trying to say is, I really hope Pratt hangs em up for good. Get a load of this, he got worse and dumber with age. How cool is this, we never have to hear him on 1040 again. I guarantee it! To the bank, Baby!

You're better at Pratt than Pratt.  You've got the schtick down.  

50 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Totally agree.

I actually wrote them this morning to express my opposition to moving Halford and Brough so early a start.  Not that it will do any good. I have things to do getting ready in the  morning.  I'm not really ready to give sports talk my attention until about 9.  I don't listen to Pratt anyways. The 9:00 start was perfect to click on as background.  Then Donnie and the Moj. 

IMO they made a huge mistake and gamble buying 1410.  Must be a struggle to keep both stations going. I guess they were counting on retaining the Canucks broadcast rights. Does anyone actually listen to that station?  No local content at all. The last thing I want to listen to is a couple of yankee shock jocks go on about some southern States highschool basketball team.

That's awesome.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I drive a truck & do deliveries, I'm usually hitting the road between 8:30-9:30 & back like 2-3. The 9:00 start was awesome. The 10-2 slot would've been perfect. Gunna listening to Sat/Jawn more now or find some more podcasts.

I figured 1410 was to put Giants/Whitecaps/Lions on when the Canucks were on 1040. Now that 650's come along & took the Nucks rights, 1410 definitely hasn't worked out. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Totally agree.

1040 has a serious lack of talent at the moment and Halford and Brough were the logical choice. Plus, I doubt Matt and Blake wanted to give up their timeslot for 4am wake up calls. They need to somehow source some new talent or else the station is doomed to eventually fail. Also, I’ve been a loyal listener for a long time and I love Donny and Bob but my god their gig is getting old. Time for some new blood and a new perspective. 

Personally I am a big NFL fan so I love tuning into 1410 when they have ESPN and Fox sports radio on to listen to some NFL chat but I’m pretty sure guys like me are few and far between. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/14/2019 at 6:47 PM, Pickly said:

1040 has a serious lack of talent at the moment and Halford and Brough were the logical choice. Plus, I doubt Matt and Blake wanted to give up their timeslot for 4am wake up calls. They need to somehow source some new talent or else the station is doomed to eventually fail. Also, I’ve been a loyal listener for a long time and I love Donny and Bob but my god their gig is getting old. Time for some new blood and a new perspective. 

Personally I am a big NFL fan so I love tuning into 1410 when they have ESPN and Fox sports radio on to listen to some NFL chat but I’m pretty sure guys like me are few and far between. 

I don’t know if Vancouver is a sports town, or just a Canucks town?  As soon 1040 lost Canucks hockey, I think it was doomed.  

12 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Wish 650 and 1040 would merge. 

Rick, Randip and Rintoul 6-9am

Halford Brough  9-12

Sat Botch and Auld 12-3

Sekeres Price and Tomlinson 3-6

Mira, Karen and Jawn 6-9

I think Botch and Auld would work well together because Botch is so brash and Auld so monotone. I think Auld has excellent insight, but he is almost too calm. Maybe they would rub off on each other. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/15/2019 at 9:38 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

Wish 650 and 1040 would merge. 

Rick, Randip and Rintoul 6-9am

Halford Brough  9-12

Sat Botch and Auld 12-3

Sekeres Price and Tomlinson 3-6

Mira, Karen and Jawn 6-9

If Donnie isn't on the radio, cancel all radio.