The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Mar. 18, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Kyosti Karjalanen said:

I like what Gaudette has to offer, combination of speed, some toughness and some offence. I just don't see it every night. I wish he brought it more frequently. JV is Goldobin's twin, lots of potential but very inconsistent and greatly overhyped by fans.

dont think ive seen anyone over hype JV

51 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm pretty sure there's a rule that says whenever you use that word on the internet, you have to include a photo of Jim Mora...

image.png.e6d8c6ef85d37f9982b708a9413657d9.png

As far as the "win streak" goes, I fully admit that I was on team tank.....back when Connor McDavid was entering the draft. At least, sort of...

I didn't advocate trading the Sedins, or deliberately playing to lose. I just argued (vehemently) against signing Miller and Vrbata. (and yes, I was against signing Eriksson a couple of years later, although not quite so vehemently)

As I saw it, those trades turned a lottery team into a bubble team and I would have happily traded the playoff embarrassment at the hands of the Flames, for even a 5% chance at drafting McDavid.

Now that there's no real generational talent available (although I'd love to have Jack Hughes) I'm fine with a win or a loss. As long as the team competes and we see some real development from the young guys. Of course, like everyone else, I love to see Petey setting records and (hopefully) winning the Calder.

In beating the Hawks last night, the 'Nucks put a dent in the playoff hopes of one of my least liked teams, so even without Alf's cheap ass blended scotch, I'm a happy camper.

Is Alf drinking JB scotch again. 

2 hours ago, Kyosti Karjalanen said:

I like what Gaudette has to offer, combination of speed, some toughness and some offence. I just don't see it every night. I wish he brought it more frequently. JV is Goldobin's twin, lots of potential but very inconsistent and greatly overhyped by fans.

I'm sure you won't be here long with your new name and persona.

3 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Well, according to sportsclubstats.com, we can still get in losing 2 more games.

Here's my attempt to condense their extensive charts:

90 points 9-0-0 = 73.4% chance we're in.

89 points 8-0-1= 49.0%.

88 points 8-1-0 = 24.5%.

7-0-2 = 23.3%

87 points 7-1-1 = 8.6%.

6-0-3 = 8.2%.

86 points 7-2-0 = 1.9%.

6-1-2 = 1.8%

5-0-4 = 1.7%

85 points 6-2-1 = .3%.

5-1-3 = .3%.

4-0-5 = .3%

If they're right, and we would need Baumerman77 (or whatever his dumbass name was) to make a case against their math, we could lose 2 more and finish either 7-2-0 (86 points) or 6-2-1 (85 points) and still have a very slight chance of getting in.

Just win baby.

You know what... I actually like those odds. 

Forget the draft. Let's just go 9-0. 

1 hour ago, TNucks1 said:

wth, i thought buffalo was doing well this season, injurys or what happened? @SabreFan1

Also @oldnews

With the exception of during their November winning streak, which I enjoyed, I've been saying all along (especially to @Alflives) that once teams figured out that the Sabres were a one line team and gameplan accordingly, the Sabres would start losing.  That's exactly what happened.  The only thing that could have saved them would have been stellar goaltending.  What they got was inconsistent below average goaltending after about the first 30 games.  Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen won't be up for another couple of years so they're stuck with the two 'tenders they have now.

The Sabres' middle 6 is too young and needs more experience.  I don't see them making the playoffs next year either unless they bring in some experienced free agents who can perform next to the young players like Mittelstadt. 

Add to the fact that once it became obvious that they were once again out of the playoffs, a handful of players started to play disinterested hockey just waiting for the season to be over.

1 hour ago, TNucks1 said:

dont think ive seen anyone over hype JV

What are you talking about? There are pages and pages of people on these boards singing both his and Golobin’s attributes. I don’t get it. In my estimation neither of them have the right stuff. Total wastes of natural abilities.

4 hours ago, Odd. said:

That's kind of why I asked, because lately I thought we've been playing pretty meaningless games but I just took a look at the standings and we are actually pretty close.

We've just won 2 games including coming off an OTL before the back-to-back.

Tomorrow's game will really decide it for me. We are vsing the worst team in the league. If these boys lose to Ottawa tomorrow, ill be riding Team Tank until the end of the season

I won't be upset with any losses because yes it would boost our odds of winning a lottery pick, but I wouldn't advocate intentionally losing/playing poorly. Not at this stage of our rebuild IMO.

59 minutes ago, Mad Jon said:

What are you talking about? There are pages and pages of people on these boards singing both his and Golobin’s attributes. I don’t get it. In my estimation neither of them have the right stuff. Total wastes stifling of natural abilities.

Fixed it for you

Where’s pre-game, post-game Xerox, great creator of the GDT to guide us through these turbulent times? The one who has no comments in game but can pick and choose who to chastise for team tank or play-off bound and picks and chooses who to go after with the infinite wisdom of his cigar-chewing The Thing avatar? The one who says only a top 5 pick is the way to go but the team cannot draft beyond that number because no talent lies beyond 5 and up. Oh great guru, tell us and highlight and pick and choose. You have volunteered so much time from your studies to show us the way, ya $&&!

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I won't be upset with any losses because yes it would boost our odds of winning a lottery pick, but I wouldn't advocate intentionally losing/playing poorly. Not at this stage of our rebuild IMO.

I'm going to sound like a major hypocrite, but hear me out. I won't ever cheer for the failure of this team. In my mind, losing games because we are in a rebuild is not failing at all and actually quite far from it, depends on the way you look at it.

I still overreact and cringe whenever we get scored upon, though once I cool down, I think "maybe it's not so bad, it helps with team tank" and the sourness goes away.

I think wanting this team to lose so it can be 'hopefully' be better in the future is not exactly cheering against them. Living death kind of situation.

45 minutes ago, Gelinas34 said:

Where’s pre-game, post-game Xerox, great creator of the GDT to guide us through these turbulent times? The one who has no comments in game but can pick and choose who to chastise for team tank or play-off bound and picks and chooses who to go after with the infinite wisdom of his cigar-chewing The Thing avatar? The one who says only a top 5 pick is the way to go but the team cannot draft beyond that number because no talent lies beyond 5 and up. Oh great guru, tell us and highlight and pick and choose. You have volunteered so much time from your studies to show us the way, ya $&&!

Is this how you interact with others face to face or just from behind the safety of your keyboard? If you said that to most people in person you likely end up in a shallow hole just outside of Hope. 

Telephone tough guys like you can auto-asphyxiate and make the world a better place anytime.

30 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I'm going to sound like a major hypocrite, but hear me out. I won't ever cheer for the failure of this team. In my mind, losing games because we are in a rebuild is not failing at all and actually quite far from it, depends on the way you look at it.

I still overreact and cringe whenever we get scored upon, though once I cool down, I think "maybe it's not so bad, it helps with team tank" and the sourness goes away.

I think wanting this team to lose so it can be 'hopefully' be better in the future is not exactly cheering against them. Living death kind of situation.

I understand what you're saying and generally agree with the similar feelings. It's just the whole "team tank" connotation that sounds like we should intentionally lose which I'm not a fan of.

For me it's more along the lines of wanting this team to play hard and possibly win, even if the games don't matter anymore. And if we lose, I don't have the crushing feeling at this point because I never expected to be in the playoffs at this stage but merely fighting for a wild card spot, which we somewhat are doing. Ideally I'm expecting us to win a wild card spot next season, but I'm okay with just missing out again next year as well (assuming we don't make a big splash like signing EK).

I am more soured on the feeling when we drop spots after dismal seasons. So I rather we give it our best and hope we are lucky enough to be one of those teams that jump spots. Not only would that be advantageous in developing our players in a more positive atmosphere, but if we win a lottery pick, that should help expedite the process. If we don't, then there are very good players still to be found even after the top 10. So, as long as our drafting remains decent and more importantly we develop them the right way, then we should be fine regardless.

IMO, the days of tanking ended when this lottery system came into place. And Edmonton is a prime example that even winning years of top end picks (even with a generational talent like McDavid) is no sure recipe to turn this team back around.

3 hours ago, Samgagner'sface said:

The odds aren't that much different from 4 to 15. I'd rather sacrifice a couple percentage points for some wins and good feels for the team, and for me too

Kakko won’t be there at four and will probably go second. He is exactly what we need in a winger. Nothing personal, but I’ll take improving the team over you feeling good :) Continued mediocrity is painful when it goes on and on. 

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I understand what you're saying and generally agree with the similar feelings. It's just the whole "team tank" connotation that sounds like we should intentionally lose which I'm not a fan of.

For me it's more along the lines of wanting this team to play hard and possibly win, even if the games don't matter anymore. And if we lose, I don't have the crushing feeling at this point because I never expected to be in the playoffs at this stage but merely fighting for a wild card spot, which we somewhat are doing. Ideally I'm expecting us to win a wild card spot next season, but I'm okay with just missing out again next year as well (assuming we don't make a big splash like signing EK).

I am more soured on the feeling when we drop spots after dismal seasons. So I rather we give it our best and hope we are lucky enough to be one of those teams that jump spots. Not only would that be advantageous in developing our players in a more positive atmosphere, but if we win a lottery pick, that should help expedite the process. If we don't, then there are very good players still to be found even after the top 10. So, as long as our drafting remains decent and more importantly we develop them the right way, then we should be fine regardless.

IMO, the days of tanking ended when this lottery system came into place. And Edmonton is a prime example that even winning years of top end picks (even with a generational talent like McDavid) is no sure recipe to turn this team back around.

Agreed. We would be further ahead by now if the acceptance of the need for a rebuild started right after “the core is stale” rather than a few years later when Hansen and Burrows got dealt (although our return pieces from those trades now look like they are evaporating, Dahlen and Goldobin). JB was quoted as saying we would be competitive by the end of the Sedins’ contracts but clearly LE was not the winger to get them and us over the top. Olli may or may not have been a miss and the same with JV. Clear hits there would have put us even further ahead by now. Boeser and Petterson are home runs (and hopefully Hughes) but we need three more good pieces to escape mediocrity.

Archived