The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We should all just take a moment of silence in respect for...

Gator

I live in the Okanagan and in the summer time, when the Albertans come and invade this beautiful country, they bring with them arrogance, disrespect and a constant reminder of the dynasty days in Edmonton. I respect the teams, and the only player I feel bad for is McDavid because he’s stuck in that dumpster fire of a franchise. But in no way do I feel bad for the fans. That being said, The whole city of Toronto can kick rocks and anyone playing for the Laughs. 

29 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

As somebody who has lived in Edmonton the majority of my life, this is accurate. Edmonton fans really are $&!# hockey fans. Great team fans, devoted to their team undyingly (to a sad point), but horrible hockey fans. They were an absolute cancer in 2011. They still think riot jokes are hilarious. 

It’s just pettiness and bitterness over the fact that from 2001-2013, the Canucks were the flag bearer for Canadian hockey while other Canadian teams struggled for the most part (give or take a few good years).  Individually and collectively, the Canucks won almost every single NHL award during that span except for the Stanley Cup.

Obviously - as rivals, I do understand some competitiveness to a degree, but the ridiculous way they acted after we lost in 2011 just showed to me that their disdain towards us extended beyond the world of hockey.

People in Alberta and Toronto pride themselves on being Canadian, but many of those guys don’t have the first damn clue what that means.  Canadians stick together, rib each other within reason when another guy slips up and falls (like an older brother laughing at a younger sibling), but are ALWAYS there for one another during TOUGH times.

Albertans and Torontonians know through and through as to just how much hockey means to us as a people.  The ridiculous way they kicked us when we were down, based out of sheer pettiness and jealously, is inexcusable.  

And these are are the same guys that wore Team Canada jerseys in 2010 and 2014.

Just disgusting.

And yes - I did go on Social Media back in 2013 and made fun of Calgarians when they had the flood.   I “cheered” on the floods in the same manner that they “cheered” on Boston and I make absolutely no apologies whatsoever.  One of the most satisfying decisions that I’ve ever made in my entire life.

I for one am glad that Edmonton is struggling, and will be cheering Boston against Toronto.....and whoever Calgary has to play (although in Calgary’s case, even I’ll have to admit that they’ve assembled one heck of a team.  I guess being a joke of a hockey team for the better part of 10 years has its advantages).

6 hours ago, canuktravella said:

petersson will get 10-12m a yr when his elc expires  price of elite

Brocks down year has worked out well for contracts negotiationds this summer, and hopefully avoids the TML pitfall.

1 minute ago, NeilColville said:

I live in the Okanagan and in the summer time, when the Albertans come and invade this beautiful country, they bring with them arrogance, disrespect and a constant reminder of the dynasty days in Edmonton. I respect the teams, and the only player I feel bad for is McDavid because he’s stuck in that dumpster fire of a franchise. But in no way do I feel bad for the fans. That being said, The whole city of Toronto can kick rocks and anyone playing for the Laughs. 

This is what I don't get. If Albertans love Alberta so much, why is it a majority of them buy summer homes in BC? 

At least folks in Ontario stay in the province and go up North to cottage country.

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

I dont think you understand what hometown discount means.

Pray tell.

Please explain it to me then.  

Why in your opinion, do I not understand what “hometown discount” means?

my understanding of hometown discount is as follows:  A player accepts an AAV that is below his market value because he wants to help his team use that freed up cap space to bring in more good players.....so that said team has a better shot at building a winner.

4 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Pray tell.

Please explain it to me then.  

Why in your opinion, do I not understand what “hometown discount” means?

my understanding of hometown discount is as follows:  A player accepts an AAV that is below his market value because he wants to help his team use that freed up cap space to bring in more good players.....so that said team has a better shot at building a winner.

All this

But in his home town or area. Think hamhuis.

10 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

All this

But in his home town or area. Think hamhuis.

Fair enough.  I had assumed that the term also extended to a player that was willing to take a discount for the current team that he is playing for (regardless of where his actual hometown was).

For example - I seem recall back in the day, the Vancouver media being excited since Naslund took a “hometown discount,” but it’s possible that I’m not remembering this correctly.  

1 minute ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Fair enough.  I had assumed that the term also extended to a player that was willing to take a discount for the current team that he is playing for (regardless of where his actual hometown was).

For example - I seem recall back in the day, the Vancouver media being excited since Naslund took a “hometown discount,” but it’s possible that I’m not remembering this correctly.  

This could just be the way I interpret the phrase too I suppose. Especially when it comes to euro players. Brock's hometown is Minnesota when it comes to nhl teams no doubt about it. But when it comes to EP he doesn't really have one in North America so maybe in time this becomes his "home town" if he plants some roots here after his second contract.

i think that teams and their fans are the same all over. passionate about their teams.  i remember when the canucks and their fans were the most hated in the league. are we better or worse than edmonton or calgary fans? i’ld say no. i can’t bring myself to hate anyone. maybe, i’ve grown too old to hate. 

hockey is a game, loving one another should be what life is all about. healthy rivalries is good, but hate?

Nope I do not feel sorry for them in the slightest after how they acted in 2011. I understand if they didn’t want to support the Canucks in the Finals, that’s fine but how they, along with Flame and Laff fans, kicked us when we were down and even sported Boston jerseys and continued to mock us about the riots and so forth? No way. They can suffer as long as possible and I will laugh at their misery. I will be anti Laff and Flames in the playoffs too.

I remember Jets, Habs and Sens fans actually did give us their support during 2011, so I hope they do well.

4 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

i really wouldnt say brock has had a down yr  and trust me petey will get paid 

Who said he wouldn't?  Boeser will likely end up with fewer goals and fewer points than his rookie year?  Isn't that the definition of down year?  I didn't say it was a bad year

48 minutes ago, stawns said:

Who said he wouldn't?  Boeser will likely end up with fewer goals and fewer points than his rookie year?  Isn't that the definition of down year?  I didn't say it was a bad year

ya hes on pace for last yr  point totals  has six less goals but more assists in 2 less games  and is plus 5   soo not sure where your coming from saying hes having a worse yr 

1F997051-2240-49FA-9ADB-90FBB7B1509B.png

Archived