The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PDSF: (P1) Calgary Flames vs. (WC2) Colorado Avalanche | Avalanche win series 4-1

Rate this topic

2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/14/2019 at 02:30 AM

Just now, oldnews said:

I thought he said that after the Leafs game....

Maybe he meant it to foreshadow the Lames one?

u are prob right oldnews...the time stamp on it makes it look like it was the leafs game...

it certainly applies to the flames though..

Interesting to note the way the two teams are constructed. The Av's look like the future, fast mobile d-men who can quickly transition the puck up ice to their speedy forwards (they have a extra gear)...The Flames seem like more of a traditional type mold (which bodes well for the regular season).

The contrast couldn't be worse for the Flames

Just now, Darius said:

u are prob right oldnews...the time stamp on it makes it look like it was the leafs game...

it certainly applies to the flames though..

He might have meant it referring to game 3.....and it turned out to be the case again in game 4?

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

got to give you credit, hippy.   you were raving about Makar before anyone knew who he was after seeing him live a couple years ago (im sure that was you)

Yes sir.  I watched him in athe canada west and the canada u20 and he was literally the best player on the ice period every time he was out there.  With the rbc a few years back in Penticton same thing.  I was laughed at by a few for suggesting he was possibly the best pick of the draft, obviously the best defenseman when we were slated to be picking higher than 5th pre lottery.  When we lost the draft I hoped he would slide to 5th but I'm certainly not complaining.

But look at him out there, the guy looks like a 5 year vet and is one of the best skaters on the ice on a team with mackinnon and rantanen.  he makes Barrie look slow and there was a breakout pass a few minutes before the ot winner which just looked so effortless and lazy but caught the flames totally off guard.

With 2 more picks this year and only Rantanen to really worry about the Avs look like they could be absolute studs.  Especially if they're picking a Byram or Dach to compliment that core

12 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Interesting to note the way the two teams are constructed. The Av's look like the future, fast mobile d-men who can quickly transition the puck up ice to their speedy forwards (they have a extra gear)...The Flames seem like more of a traditional type mold (which bodes well for the regular season).

The contrast couldn't be worse for the Flames

I think you're being reductive - assuming the 'contrast' comes down to how their bluelines are built.

The Avs blueline, however, is not dealing with the breakout/transition threat that McKinnon poses - I'm not sure how much better, if any, Colorado's blueline would look facing him as opposed to Monahan/Gaudreau.  You don't get a much better matchup blueliner than Giordano no matter how mobile they are - and being able to play defense is not a regular season thing that doesn't bode well for the playoffs.  I just don't think it boils down to that.

Calgary's blueline might not have Makar (who I imagine they'd be happy to add to the build - it's not about 'constructing' with a traditional type 'mold.') - but they're certainly built for mobility and puck moving as well, they just don't have the gift of breakneck speed (or the volume of lottery picks the AVs have had).

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

The Americans watching this series are absolutely spoiled.  They get to watch a helluva exciting series and get to have it commentated by Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro.

And Patrick Sharp in between periods :)

Edited by redhdlois

I can't believe how bad Calgary looks on this series.  NM is, obviously, almost impossible to neutralize, but it's more that Calgary looks lazy and disinterested to me.  Smith is standing on his head and the Flames are letting the AVs come in waves.