The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Suspends Voynov

Shekky

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-suspends-slava-voynov-entire-2019-20-season/

The NHL has suspended defenceman Slava Voynov for the entire 2019-20 season and playoffs for “unacceptable off-ice conduct.”

Voynov, a free agent, cannot have his NHL eligibility restored following the 2020 playoffs, assuming good behaviour, a statement from the NHL says.

Voynov, 29, was originally suspended by the NHL on Oct. 20, 2014 after he was arrested for an incident involving his wife. On July 2, 2015 he pleaded no contest to a misdemeanour violation.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman handed out Tuesday’s suspension, citing Rule 18-A in the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement. Bettman’s decision came after an investigation by the NHL and an in-person hearing with Voynov in New York on March 21.

“I have determined that Player Slava Voynov engaged in acts of domestic violence directed at his wife,” Bettman said in a statement Tuesday. “Today’s ruling, while tailored to the specific facts of this case and the individuals involved, is necessary and consistent with the NHL’s strongly-held policy that it cannot and will not tolerate this and similar types of conduct, particularly as directed at a spouse, domestic partner or family member.”

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/13101

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NEW YORK (April 9, 2019) – The National Hockey League announced today that defenseman Slava Voynov has been suspended for the entire 2019-20 NHL season (including Playoffs) for unacceptable off-ice conduct. Voynov’s eligibility to play in the NHL will be restored (assuming good behavior) no later than July 1, 2020.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman levied the suspension under Rule 18-A of the NHL/NHLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement. The Commissioner’s ruling came following an investigation by the League and an in-person hearing in New York on Thursday, March 21. The investigation and hearing were conducted, pursuant to the terms of the CBA, to determine the relevant facts and circumstances relating to an Oct. 19, 2014, incident involving Voynov and his wife. The incident ultimately resulted in Voynov pleading no contest to a misdemeanor violation of § 273.5(a) of the California Penal Code on July 2, 2015.

Mr. Voynov originally was suspended indefinitely by the NHL following his arrest on Oct. 20, 2014.

“I have determined that Player Slava Voynov engaged in acts of domestic violence directed at his wife,” Commissioner Bettman said. “Today’s ruling, while tailored to the specific facts of this case and the individuals involved, is necessary and consistent with the NHL’s strongly-held policy that it cannot and will not tolerate this and similar types of conduct, particularly as directed at a spouse, domestic partner or family member.”

4 minutes ago, Shekky said:

Again Voynov is being suspended for off-ice misconduct. Wonder what he did this time though.

Maybe it's not for a new incident?

Before, he was suspended indefinitely.  In order for him to come back the NHL would have to decide how long the suspension would be.  Maybe this, is to give him a timetable to be able to come back?

Nothing new happened it’s just that the NHL is allowing him to return once be completes this full NHL season suspension. So it’s not indefinite no longer.

He becomes an eligible UFA on July 1st 2020 and can sign with any team.

6 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Maybe it's not for a new incident?

Before, he was suspended indefinitely.  In order for him to come back the NHL would have to decide how long the suspension would be.  Maybe this, is to give him a timetable to be able to come back?

oh yeah I re-read the articles I think your right looks like from the previous incident. Atleast the sportsnet article just finished posting as they had not released the article when I posted this topic.

8 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

The press release is a bit confusing though. Did he beat his wife again or is the Bettman quote about the original incident? 

It's a consequence of the 2014 incident.

He was previously suspended indefinitely, now there's and end date.

Dudes done in the NHL though

1 minute ago, Shekky said:

oh yeah I re-read the articles I think your right looks like from the previous incident. Atleast the sportsnet article just finished posting as they had not released the article when I posted this topic.

That's the thing with online journalism these days.  They'll post things before they actually have the whole story, just to be first.

Good call on updating the original post.

Just now, luckylager said:

It's a consequence of the 2014 incident.

He was previously suspended indefinitely, now there's and end date.

Dudes done in the NHL though

Thanks. I'm guessing the NHL is trying to tiptoe around the situation; otherwise, they could have been more forthright about that. 

12 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Nothing new happened it’s just that the NHL is allowing him to return once be completes this full NHL season suspension. So it’s not indefinite no longer.

He becomes an eligible UFA on July 1st 2020 and can sign with any team.

This. Amazing how people aren't able to read and think things through. Instead, jump to conclusions immediately. 

1 minute ago, RRypien37 said:

This. Amazing how people aren't able to read and think things through. Instead, jump to conclusions immediately. 

well they way they posted the article made it look like it was a new incident at least on sportsnet.

So I DID read the article and have followed the saga through the media, but am now wondering if he's essentially been suspended officially for 6 years since the original incident took place early in the 2014 season? 

Good. Now we dont need to hear of two scenarios next year. First headline "Leafs sign needed right side dman to a much deserved second chance". Or second headline "Any other team, signs problemed, criminal, dman to a questionable second chance".

Beer Leaguer I played with was a sheep farmer..was always talkin' about Dolly, which I appreciated, cos' she's a great gal, with a lovely voice(amongst other assets).

Well months went by, & we learned/herd that Dolly was actually a sheep! 'Course we were all stunned..what would emerge later left us all gobsmacked! Poor Dolly, beaten lika'rented-mule.

Suspended the guy 3 beers...

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

So I DID read the article and have followed the saga through the media, but am now wondering if he's essentially been suspended officially for 6 years since the original incident took place early in the 2014 season? 

By initially pleading no contest to his charges, Voynov received a 90-day jail sentence plus three years probation (presumably during which he would not be allowed to participate in the NHL). He instead decided to self-deport back to Russia so he could continue to play professional hockey, but that doesn't mean his sentence ceased to exist. As the 3 years and 90 days are now up, he is eligible to return to the NHL.

On the NHL side, apparently they have a policy of not running their own investigations while a player is being charged with or serving a sentence for criminal or civil crimes. As such, Voynov was suspended indefinitely until the full length of his sentence was carried out at which point the NHL was able to run their own investigation. The NHL determined a one year suspension was sufficient, and thus he is serving a one year suspension from the time he is eligible to rejoin the NHL.

This is not necessarily 100% accurate but it is the best I could surmise after reading a number of articles on the situation. 

Archived