The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[VIDEO] Ovechkin Knocks Out Svechnikov

xereau

13 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

And to think that Svechnikov has listed Ovechkin as one of his idols growing up.

At least he can say he got beaten up by his hero.  

I've always wanted to party with my heroes.

Maybe Svech was all - "I'm your biggest fan" at the previous faceoff

Then OV was like - "You're a punk a** b***h dude"

Svech - "I poured my heart out to you! Whaaah!"

And OV fed him, with love from Russia

5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I've always wanted to party with my heroes.

Maybe Svech was all - "I'm your biggest fan" at the previous faceoff

Then OV was like - "You're a punk a** b***h dude"

Svech - "I poured my heart out to you! Whaaah!"

And OV fed him, with love from Russia

Nah, man. You got it all wrong. In Russia, getting knocked the &^@# out by one of your idols is like getting an autograph. 

You could see the concern on Ovi's face after.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/alex-ovechkin-hopes-andrei-svechnikov-ok-brutal-knockout/

Alex Ovechkin hopes Andrei Svechnikov is OK after brutal knockout

Alexander Ovechkin hopes Andrei Svechnikov is OK after being knocked out during a fight in the first period of Game 3 between the Washington Capitals and Carolina Hurricanes.

The 19-year-old appeared to have challenged the 33-year-old to drop the gloves and, at first, Svechnikov was doing alright. Then Ovechkin landed a couple of punches. Svechnikov was forced to leave the game after his head hit the ice.

“First off I hope he is OK. I’m not a big fighter. He asked me to fight and said, ‘let’s go.’ I hope he’s OK,” Ovechkin said to reporters after the game. “You don’t want to see a guy get hurt or something.”

This was the fourth time Ovechkin has dropped the gloves in his career and the first time since 2010 while this was Svechnikov’s first career fight.

Hurricanes coach Rod Brind’Amour wasn’t too thrilled with how the situation turned out given how important Svechnikov is to the team.

Carolina would go on to win the game 5-0 and now trail the Capitals 2-1 in the series.

If the kid was trying to inspire his team, he did good... because the Canes were on fire after that fight.

But if the kid was trying to actually beat Ovie, then he made the biggest miscalculation of his hockey career.

Ovie did nothing wrong.... the kid wanted to fight, Ovie could be seen asking him if he really wanted to go... the kid nodded his head, and then Ovie simply did what any pro hockey player does at that point, he used all his physical power in the fight.

I feel sorry for the kid, but he brought it on himself.  Maybe his sacrifice did benefit his team in this game, but if Svechnikov is out with head injuries as a result, it might backfire on the Canes in the long run.

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Gross.... He drinks Dr.Pepper? He is a savage.

I thought that crap was strictly reserved for inbreds and NASCAR fans.

Hey! I'm a Nascar fan. And I don't drink Dr. Pepper. 

That often :ph34r:

Probably the only type of player who can beat Ovie in a fight is one with comparable size and weight, and a lot longer reach.

Because Ovie is so strong, that he can yank the player towards him and the punches connect.  And if they connect, they do major damage.

You would need to be able to hold him off with the longer reach... maybe Gudbranson could put up a fight... although he is nowhere near as strong.

38 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Probably the only type of player who can beat Ovie in a fight is one with comparable size and weight, and a lot longer reach.

Because Ovie is so strong, that he can yank the player towards him and the punches connect.  And if they connect, they do major damage.

You would need to be able to hold him off with the longer reach... maybe Gudbranson could put up a fight... although he is nowhere near as strong.

He lost both fights his sophomore year in 2006.  He wouldn't even drop his gloves or defend himself when Gaustad was punching him.

His only other grown adult hockey fight, besides the Svechnikov fight, he lost to Dubinsky in 2010.

This was actually his first and only win in the NHL.  He's not a fighter.

It was definitely not as bad as the commentators make it sound in the video. Their bias bothers me more than the actual fight.

Clean fight. Ovechkin was mid swing when Svechnikov starts going down, he CLEARLY pulls his punch and pretty much only follows through to brace his fall as any human instinctively would do. That could have been WAY worse. Not sure what Svech was thinking there though it obviously got the crowd going.

1 hour ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

It was definitely not as bad as the commentators make it sound in the video. Their bias bothers me more than the actual fight.

Clean fight. Ovechkin was mid swing when Svechnikov starts going down, he CLEARLY pulls his punch and pretty much only follows through to brace his fall as any human instinctively would do. That could have been WAY worse. Not sure what Svech was thinking there though it obviously got the crowd going.

There were whiners all over the internet as well.  Including some sports writers.  People are just so friggin' soft and are getting softer by the year.

Archived