The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 Draft Primer

Rate this topic

Seeker1

12 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Trade up from 10th to 6th and draft Bowen Byram (assuming he is still there at 6th).

He is exactly what this team needs. 

Trade anyone necessary to get the deal done other than Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, and Hughes. 

Get it done JB. 

I thought we already drafted our future top 4 LHD in Hughes and Juolevi? Seems to me we need a top notch winger to play with 1 of our 2 top C. Also hoping we try to grab a late 1st or earlier 2nd than where we pick so we can draft a couple D early in the 2nd

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

I see some of the media in Vancouver are saying that Mr. Bennings job is on the line this coming season.

I personally say, it doesn't matter who we have as GM,if we continually get screwed by the LOTTO DRAFT,four consecutive drops in position at that B.S. LOTTO DRAFT. .

This team will not get better any time soon, IF THIS CONTINUES.

You have a playoff team getting better draft postions than us ,therefore this system is messed up.

we need non 1st round picks to excel and be gems for us that turn out to be top 4 D or top 6 F. GM JB has been around a while, be interesting to see what he does in FA. A playmaking winger like Eberle might fit well, but will teams overpay for his playoff success when his regular seasons have be subpar to his last 6m contract? 

Time to be bold and shake this team up and make a trade or 2 this off season around the draft as well imo

12 hours ago, Fateless said:

I believe that Byram is gone 3rd OA, although I could see him falling as low as 5 OA. I agree that if he is still available at 6OA, that you make the trade happen, but I don't think its realistic that Byram is still there. 

Chicago probably isnt passing up the local kid in turcotte. Plus their strength in their propects pool is d. What they need is centers.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

Yes I know,that Ottawa gave that pick,

but still the fact still remains that they(Colorado) ARE, getting that pick ahead of a team that could really use the help.

First off, that pick dropped. Second you're missing the point, it's not Colorado's pick, they just get to use it. 

Every 2019 draft ranking list I’ve seen has been totally different... with exception to #1 JH and #2 the fin kid KK.

one thing for sure this draft is totally unpredictable. 

My Canuck HH GMing choices. (Theses are my hockeyharry choices so they unfortunately are not legally binding as I’m not a member of the Canucks management team yet) but my application for Canucks President is in the mail.

First choice is the USAs ep40 Zegras,.....could drop cuz of Johnny Hockey playoff performance.

Second choice Swed D guy Soderstrom....I think he should be there at 10, but as a good right-shot Dman he could be gone.

third choice the other bigger Swed D guy Broberg. Should be there but if not it means one of the above is still available.

My Forth choice could be interesting if the Russian kid Podkolzin is still available ....as mentioned all rankings are different this kid could be there at 10. 

Now watch JB make the unpredictable pick of drafting US goalie Spencer Knight.

23 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Trade up from 10th to 6th and draft Bowen Byram (assuming he is still there at 6th).

Trade anyone necessary to get the deal done other than Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, and Hughes. 

Get it done JB. 

I'm actually hoping they trade with Colorado and get the 4th pick.  Give em 10th OA, 40th OA, and Hutton (who they seemed to have interest in).  Of course with the stipulation that BYRAM is still there.

• Upvote 3

Whats up with Krebs point total for the season? I feelis should be higher considering how highly hes regarded. I dont watch any whl action as im in yhe east. Can someone shed some light as to why hes ranked so highafter being just a ppg in hisdraft year.

1 hour ago, Viper007 said:

I'm actually hoping they trade with Colorado and get the 4th pick.  Give em 10th OA, 40th OA, and Hutton (who they seemed to have interest in).  Of course with the stipulation that BYRAM is still there.

Would do this in a heartbeat regardless id byram is available or not 

With Hughes, Juolevi and Stecher I’m not sure we need Byram at this point.  With Woo coming up that’s 4 D right there.  Watching Zadorov in these playoffs makes me hope that Benning gets Tryamkin back this summer.  That’s 5 young D right there who can all play in the top 4.  

I’d rather we keep our 2nd round pick and Hutton and just draft the BPA at #10.  I’m hoping Boldy is still there as he could be a good winger for either BO or Petey. There is also a chance that someone drops that no one expected, it happens every draft.  If the Russian kid drops to 10 I’d take him in a heartbeat.  He could be the guy that Benning says why hasn’t anyone taken Podkolzin yet?

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Whats up with Krebs point total for the season? I feelis should be higher considering how highly hes regarded. I dont watch any whl action as im in yhe east. Can someone shed some light as to why hes ranked so highafter being just a ppg in hisdraft year.

I believe his team isn't very good and he's basically been carrying the team on his back, so his numbers aren't as inflated as other who may have more to work with. Krebs on a better team like team Canada has 4 points in 2 games so far which is 2nd on the team (behind Tracey with 5). Krebs also seems to be good in his own zone and is a leader (captain of the U18 team).

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

With Hughes, Juolevi and Stecher I’m not sure we need Byram at this point.  With Woo coming up that’s 4 D right there.  Watching Zadorov in these playoffs makes me hope that Benning gets Tryamkin back this summer.  That’s 5 young D right there who can all play in the top 4.  

I’d rather we keep our 2nd round pick and Hutton and just draft the BPA at #10.  I’m hoping Boldy is still there as he could be a good winger for either BO or Petey. There is also a chance that someone drops that no one expected, it happens every draft.  If the Russian kid drops to 10 I’d take him in a heartbeat.  He could be the guy that Benning says why hasn’t anyone taken Podkolzin yet?

Tryamkin is a long shot of coming back... would put him in any line ups just yet.

Getting Byram gives us (in 2-3 years) a potential 1-2 pairing for the next 12 years in Hughes/Byram.

We are in dire need of a D-man, who can hammer the puck... Will be very interesting to see how far Woo can go. Have huge hopes for him.

In saying all the above, I'm still hoping for Boldy or another forward with size....

• Upvote 1

On 4/19/2019 at 7:02 PM, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Get it done JB. 

6 is Detroit. They are taking Byram 100% if he is there at 6. They probably wanted one of Hughes or Boqvist last year until Zadina fell into their lap. Colorado and Detroit both have a good reason to want to take Byram with their pick. Could also potentially throw in LA, but I feel like they'd want a speedy forward. Seeing as their current forward crop is slow and old.

People keep bringing up Eberle.  Don't be fooled by contract year Eberle.  The guy is a passenger, since his last contract year, he has been good for a month, it just happened to be the last month.  No thank you.

As far as the draft, BPA.  Irregardless of the position.  This will likely be a centre by the looks of this class.  Would love to get a right D but not sure there is one available at 10 that is not reaching a lot.  

Boldy is a distinct possibility, but by what I have seen his skating isn't the best, not terrible and certainly can be worked on.  Someone with his creativity could be a great asset with shooters like Pettey and Brock.   

Sometimes the player you need falls in your lap.  Happened with Pettey and Quinn, worked out well for Edmonton at the last draft.  Hopefully works for us again this year, kind of helps with the annual sting of the lottery.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

People keep bringing up Eberle.  Don't be fooled by contract year Eberle.  The guy is a passenger, since his last contract year, he has been good for a month, it just happened to be the last month.  No thank you.

As far as the draft, BPA.  Irregardless of the position.  This will likely be a centre by the looks of this class.  Would love to get a right D but not sure there is one available at 10 that is not reaching a lot.  

Boldy is a distinct possibility, but by what I have seen his skating isn't the best, not terrible and certainly can be worked on.  Someone with his creativity could be a great asset with shooters like Pettey and Brock.   

Sometimes the player you need falls in your lap.  Happened with Pettey and Quinn, worked out well for Edmonton at the last draft.  Hopefully works for us again this year, kind of helps with the annual sting of the lottery.

My hopes are that teams that  lucked out and moved up pick the stinkers and leave the rest of the crop with the better picks ha ha, some sort of hockey gods karma flipping Bettman the finger.  Boldy skating isn’t bad, nor elite,  his stickhandling and hand to eye are elite which should help him get by guys with the puck.  In the end will just have to trust Benning that we get another guy that in a re-draft five years from now would get picked three or four spots ahead of him, that’s his track record so far (our average draft position being seven over the last four years and our actual ranking for 21 and unders at 3rd overall).   A defenseman would be fine, as would a top six forward, I’m leaning towards the forward given the wait shouldn’t be as long and hope he goes for another Woo type with his second (a solid mid first round prospect that’s slipped). 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

My hopes are that teams that  lucked out and moved up pick the stinkers and leave the rest of the crop with the better picks ha ha, some sort of hockey gods karma flipping Bettman the finger.  Boldy skating isn’t bad, nor elite,  his stickhandling and hand to eye are elite which should help him get by guys with the puck.  In the end will just have to trust Benning that we get another guy that in a re-draft five years from now would get picked three or four spots ahead of him, that’s his track record so far (our average draft position being seven over the last four years and our actual ranking for 21 and unders at 3rd overall).   A defenseman would be fine, as would a top six forward, I’m leaning towards the forward given the wait shouldn’t be as long and hope he goes for another Woo type with his second (a solid mid first round prospect that’s slipped). 

I agree.  It would be crazy to trade our 2nd round pick to move up a few spots this year.  First off, the players from 3-10 are almost all interchangeable, so there could be a good chance someone slips to #10 who Benning likes and would have picked higher.  Secondly, Benning selected Demko and Woo in the second round, guys who can really make an impact with the club, basically first round picks in a re-draft.  So I don't think Benning will ever trade his 2nd round pick just to move up a few spots in the first round.