The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joe Biden Debates Donald Trump September 29

DonLever

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I hear ya.  Maybe they aren't so slimy since they didn't have to claw their way "up" (in quotes, cuz how high can they go, without their own billions like Perot). But without personal knowledge, we likely never really know.  They aren't worth the effort for the big 2 candidates to attack (except Trump, I'm, sure he'd bash anyone in the race), and the media will likely only call out their gaffes (Aleppo?), from what I remember seeing.  Maybe as more new voters become truly independent we will see some progress, but I'm not hopeful.

I voted 3rd party last time. We'll see what happens this time.  It would feel a little better if both our votes counted more, but we both live in a Blue world so it is what it is :mellow:

So far the 3rd party choices in nearly every election I can think of have been lousy.  Mine is more of a statement vote in that we need at least one more major party in the government.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

It's a problem with both parties when they run against their own.  I wonder if anyone will go after Biden's ever increasing gaffes next time they are all on stage together.

That would be a mistake, IMO. Attacking Biden like this... then, with the second breath, calling out trump for his obvious intended BS,  only to soften trumps asinine word salads and sharpen the criticism towards Biden’s slips; thereby, inadvertently drawing them closer together, close the gap and put Biden on closer equal grounds with this clown only to draw from his support with independents and the undecided - the only demographics that will actually matter in 2020. Good way to lose a sure thing, IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canorth said:

That would be a mistake, IMO. Attacking Biden like this... then, with the second breath, calling out trump for his obvious intended BS,  only to soften trumps asinine word salads and sharpen the criticism towards Biden’s slips; thereby, inadvertently drawing them closer together, close the gap and put Biden on closer equal grounds with this clown only to draw from his support with independents and the undecided - the only demographics that will actually matter in 2020. Good way to lose a sure thing, IMO.

Yep, it would be a huge mistake.  The last thing the Democrats need is to send a weakened candidate against Trump.  Their best bet to beat Trump would be to let Biden either win or lose the nomination on policy grounds.  Argue policies rather than attack and weaken the front-runner.  I guarantee though, with the possible exception of Bernie, if any of them get within striking distance of Biden in the polls, the gloves will come off and the claws will come out and they'll go after every chink in his armour.

I think Inslee realized that he wasn't going to make the next round of debates as he had no polls with him at 2% of above.  It's getting pretty slim for Gabbard to sneak in.

LINK

Washington governor Jay Inslee drops out of 2020 presidential race

Democrat who had built his campaign around tackling climate crisis says it was clear he would not win

Here is the list of who has qualified for the September Debates

Source

Here's who has qualified for the September debates so far

(CNN)The third round of Democratic primary debates, hosted by ABC and Univision, will take place the second week of September. Presidential candidates have until late August to reach polling and grassroots fundraising thresholds set by the Democratic National Committee.

Candidates must receive contributions from at least 130,000 individuals, coming from at least 400 unique donors in 20 or more states. They also need to reach 2% in at least four DNC-approved polls.
So far, 10 candidates have met both thresholds, qualifying them for the debates scheduled for September 12 and 13:
  1. Former Vice President Joe Biden
  2. New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker
  3. Mayor Pete Buttigieg
  4. Former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro
  5. California Sen. Kamala Harris
  6. Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar
  7. Former Rep. Beto O'Rourke
  8. Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders
  9. Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren
  10. Businessman Andrew Yang

Additionally, there are now 14 Democrats who say they have met the fundraising threshold.
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii, billionaire Tom Steyer, Washington Gov. Jay Insee and author Marianne Williamson have reached the fundraising threshold, but still need to hit their polling minimum to qualify. Steyer has received three of his four necessary polls, Gabbard has two, while Inslee and Williamson have none.
All other candidates haven't reached above 2% in any qualifying polls.
The DNC requires that all polls be conducted by an approved pollster, released between June 28 and August 28, 2019, conducted nationally or in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and/or Nevada, and fit a certain question structure.
The candidate must get above 2% support in four or more polls of this nature, and they cannot be conducted by the same pollster in the same region.

The inevitable happened.  Now, if only the other candidates who others have hinted should run for their respective US Senate seats would just do the same.

Source

Hickenlooper announces Senate bid

Former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper (D), who last week ended his 2020 presidential campaign, announced on Thursday that he will seek a seat in the U.S. Senate.

"I'm not done fighting for the people of Colorado," he said in a video attacking Washington over pre-existing conditions, prescription prices and the opening of public land to developers.

"I don't think Cory Gardner understands that the games he's playing with Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell are hurting the people of Colorado," he said, referring to Colorado's incumbent Republican senator, the president and the Senate majority leader, respectively.

"We ought to be working together to move this country forward and stop the political nonsense," he added.

Hickenlooper noted in a statement when he dropped out of the Democratic presidential primary that he was giving "serious thought" to challenging Gardner.

He was one of several Democrats running for president who had come under intense pressure to give up their White House ambitions in favor of a Senate run as the party hopes to chip away at the GOP's 53-47 majority or retake the upper chamber.

Gardner is widely considered to be one of the most vulnerable Republican senators up for reelection next year, especially given Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton's victory over Trump in Colorado in 2016. The Cook Political Report, a nonpartisan election handicapper, rates the race as a "toss up."

Though Hickenlooper will certainly enter the Senate race as a top-tier contender, particularly given his high name recognition from his eight years as Colorado governor, reports have surfaced that his standing may have taken a hit in the state over his failed White House bid as he enters a primary crowd that already includes roughly a dozen candidates.

An adviser to another Democrat in the race told Politico that Hickenlooper will "have to prove his mettle."

"John Hickenlooper is desperate to redeem himself after flopping on the national stage, but we think he said it best just a few months ago: he is 'not cut out' for the Senate,'" said National Republican Senatorial Committee spokesperson Joanna Rodriguez. "This crowded Senate field has been in a race to the left and Hickenlooper's quixotic presidential bid did not do him any favors in proving he can compete in any race in 2020."

Hickenlooper repeatedly dismissed speculation earlier this year as his presidential campaign struggled to gain traction that he would consider a Senate bid should he fail to secure the Democratic nomination.

"I'm not cut out to be a senator," Hickenlooper said in February. "Senators don't build teams. Senators sit and debate in small groups, which is important, right? But I'm not sure that's my - I'm a doer. That's what gives me joy."

I like Andrew Yang and Pete Buttigieg.  Yang is talking about changing entire economy and start measuring things that matter to people besides just GDP. Then aligning those measures with business incentives. Many trump voters are backing him, and he is gaining some momentum.  The freedom dividend is not a gimmick. The more you look into it, the more it makes sense esp for the working class. Elon Musk endorsed Yang recently. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Jaimito said:

I like Andrew Yang and Pete Buttigieg.  Yang is talking about changing entire economy and start measuring things that matter to people besides just GDP. Then aligning those measures with business incentives. Many trump voters are backing him, and he is gaining some momentum.  The freedom dividend is not a gimmick. The more you look into it, the more it makes sense esp for the working class. Elon Musk endorsed Yang recently. 

It's not left. It's not right. It's forward!

#YangGang

• Cheers 1

On 8/13/2019 at 5:17 PM, SabreFan1 said:

So far the 3rd party choices in nearly every election I can think of have been lousy.  Mine is more of a statement vote in that we need at least one more major party in the government.

I remember Jesse Ventura saying something like we hate Cuba for it's sham elections with only one candidate, yet in the arsenal of democracy, we give the people only effectively two choices for Prez....wow, we get one more choice!

(I'm aware it ain't much different in Canada).

On 8/24/2019 at 10:15 PM, Jaimito said:

A black, an orange, and an asian president back to back to back? I could get on board with that. And who says the USA doesn't like people of color?! 

• Cheers 1

On 4/26/2019 at 8:53 PM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You insulted me in the first portion. Why the heck would I spend any time responding to that garbage. Wow millennials these days, so entitled.

Maybe the person is actually Corey Hirsch & thus is sick of Forsberg? :P

normal.jpg?1326708523

• 2 weeks later...