The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 3rd Overall pick

Would you trade Bo Horvat for the 3rd OA Pick?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm very impressed with Byram, but Bo is a pretty complete player whos just starting to come into his own.  I suggested taking on seabrook to switch picks, but I wouldn't give up our future captain.

No, I'm not interested in trading our future captain for #3. Bo's established, has improved every year and is in the same age group as Boeser and Petey. Moving him also means having to plug a big hole at C and that's a tall task. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Fateless said:

If you had to pick between the following two options:

1) Guaranteed 60 point center who can lead the leagues in faceoffs, play in all situations, and is likely to become the captain of an NHL team.

2) Top defensive prospect with no guaranteed projection into the NHL who could pan out as a franchise D but could also pan out as a middling NHL defenseman.

Who do you take? 

My money is on the guarantee every time. I love Byram and would LOVE to trade up for him for the right price, but Bo is not the right price.

If my phone didn't suck - I'd post one of those "standing ovation" or "weisers moments" gifs.

My sentiments exactly, fateless. Well said

Edited by luckylager
Autocorrect is such $&!#.
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Get the rope out...……...it won't take long!

Question...………….

Would you trade Bo Horvat for the 2019 3rd OA Pick?

Value aside.  I doubt Chicago would have much interest in moving the 3rd for Horvat. They’re pretty much set for C between  Toews and Strome. 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

Value aside.  I doubt Chicago would have much interest in moving the 3rd for Horvat. They’re pretty much set for C between  Toews and Strome. 

I dunno, Strome's a valuable trading chip...

BO > strome

Then trade one of them for a more proven, young NHL Dman.

Just now, luckylager said:

I dunno, Strome's a valuable trading chip...

BO > strome

Then trade one of them for a more proven, young NHL Dman.

Strome put up 51 points in 56 games in Chicago.  I’m not saying he’s better than Horvat. Just that 2C isn’t a particular worry for them.  They can address other issues with their lineup with that 3rd overall pick. 

I understand your point and I believe you're right.

I was trying to make an argument for why the Hawks do it. Both Bo and Strome are very valuable. Either one could be traded for a Dman that is young and has already proven his worth. 

We both know there are countless top picks that go on to do SFA.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, luckylager said:

@janisahockeynut

Well bub, yay or nay? You started the discussion so I think it's important you at least lay some groundwork or take a position in the matter.

LOL...……...:towel:

Well, I voted for the 3rd OA, because I am getting a feeling that Byram may just be the second best player in this draft when all is said and done...………..

Getting a #1 Dman is second only to a starting #1 center, and having 2 - #1 Dmen, is something not too many teams ever have the chance to get.....

I believe Bo is an excellent Center-man and has his own right to be talked about in the way everyone is speaking, but #2 centermen can be found at

the #10 spot or can be traded for. Number 1 Defensemen not so much.

Trade value wise...……..a number 2 Center has less value than a number 1 Dman

Could Byram at #3 and Krebs at #10, be better than Horvat and Soderstrom, I would think so...………………...

But the operative word is "Could", so although I posted the question and voted for #3 OA, I don't think many GM's would have a strong enough heart to pull the trigger.....

I was not trolling, but I was trying to start a debate...….I hope you don't mind

PS...…….I do love Bo in a hockey player sense:wub: :canucks:

And a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush!

Chicago has Toews and Strome as C1/C2.  Horvat would be a C3.  They are hoping to never draft that high again so it's highly unlikely that they move that pick.

Colorado has 4th overall and needs a C2 - that's would be a more realistic target if the Canucks want to take a step back and move Horvat.  

• Cheers 1