The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Leafs shopping Marleau

Leafs in cap crunch szn.

I’ll give Dubas props if he’s able to convince Marleau to waive his NMC to help the team out as he has no obligation to do so with Toronto making their own bed with his contract. Would be huge and give them the relief to keep the core and have room to add. Him and Zaitsev are in the same boat - tricky situation that will need to be executed to perfection. 

...as for the Kings unloading a contract(s), I could see the Leafs taking back Kovalchuk at 50% retained. If not, Trevor Lewis in all likelihood.

LA actually has the cap space for him - 11 mil with no major RFAs so I don't think Pierre is correct on LAs need to dump a contract - so I can see this being another futures-based deal. Dubie is going to have to give up a quality prospect and/or their 2nd for this to work. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

LA actually has the cap space for him - 11 mil with no major RFAs so I don't think Pierre is correct on LAs need to dump a contract - so I can see this being another futures-based deal. Dubie is going to have to give up a quality prospect and/or their 2nd for this to work. 

It's happening @Jimmy McGill

Tanev + Baer/Goldy

for

Marleau + Zaitsev + Double Flamingo.

• Haha 2

Again, like NZ, this isn't as much 'rumor' as it is pretty much common knowledge that anyone not named Tavares/Marner/Rielly/Matthews is available right now. 

Just make Dumbass an offer.......

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

They would be down to roughly $5M or so in cap space with 3 more spots to fill their roster. They still have to sign Kempe so they won't have much wiggle room and certainly would not be able to sign players to actually improve their team. Toronto would really have to sweeten that deal through picks and prospects only to make me consider the deal.

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Weaponize that cap space, JB!

Seriously though, with the right futures-heavy sweetener, I’d happily take on Marleau’s cap hit for 2019-20. Play him with Petey and Boes, watch him have an age-defying bounceback season and score 25+ goals. Then flip him, salary retained, at the deadline for even more futures.

Easy GM’ing, from my armchair, anyway. ;) 

Toronto's 2nd this year and next with Marleau in exchange for Goldobin.  Final offer.

• Wat 1

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Seriously though, with the right futures-heavy sweetener, I’d happily take on Marleau’s cap hit for 2019-20. Play him with Petey and Boes, watch him have an age-defying bounceback season and score 25+ goals. Then flip him, salary retained, at the deadline for even more futures.

That'd be the dream right there!

7 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

They would be down to roughly $5M or so in cap space with 3 more spots to fill their roster. They still have to sign Kempe so they won't have much wiggle room and certainly would not be able to sign players to actually improve their team. Toronto would really have to sweeten that deal through picks and prospects only to make me consider the deal.

sure but they have all the leverage there. TO could even retain 1 or 2 mil to make it work. 

The absolutely ridiculous aspect of all of this is even if Dumbass does clear Marleau/Zaitsev off the books - that STILL won't cover the cost of the Marner contract which will surely be in the Tavares/Matthews range (or close to it). 

Please, please, please don't take the hometown discount Mitch, please. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I never seriously considered the idea of trading for Marleau, but you make an interesting point, with him playing with Pettersson and Boeser and maybe having a bounce-back season. It would only be for 1 year, and his salary would be affordable. The Canucks also need a bit of an upgrade to their Top 6. He would also bring veteran leadership to that line, and the room. What would the Canucks have to give TOR in return? Three 6th round picks? lol

Marleau + Kapanen for our 2020 rnd pick , plus a conditional dependent on Kapanens performance?

Offer sheet Johanssen for 4 million.

We keep Kapanen and Johanssen, flip Marleau at the deadline for a 2nd pick and boom ,we steal 2 players for cheap.

With Toronto's big 5 they are screwed anyways for cap. Why not get our depth for cheap.

Sign Panarin for 7 years x 9 million.

Panarin - Pettersson - Boeser

Marleau- Horvat - Kapanen

Johansson - Sutter/ Gaudette - Virtanen. 

By the time we get in cap troubles , Ericksson / Beagle/ Sutter/ Edler (if he resigns) are all of the books.

Edited by PunjabiCanucks

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

The absolutely ridiculous aspect of all of this is even if Dumbass does clear Marleau/Zaitsev off the books - that STILL won't cover the cost of the Marner contract which will surely be in the Tavares/Matthews range (or close to it). 

Please, please, please don't take the hometown discount Mitch, please. 

Dreger believes that Marner is preparing himself to go offer-sheet shopping.  

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd certainly FAR prefer 1 year of Marleau + futures over Zaitsev...

what about just 4 mil of Marleau for their 2nd? TO clears off 4.25 and clears enough room for Mitchy.

Then we can trade them Hutton for Zaitsav and Sandin :ph34r:

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1