The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Tyler Myers and Jake Gardiner

8 hours ago, Trebreh said:

sigh this is troubling news..

i'd be going around the league asking what the asking prices is for Gostisbehere, Trouba or even Dobson first.

Trust me, you don’t want to know what the price is. Hint: Horvat is going the other way minimum.

• Upvote 1

My wife is from Toronto so we watch a lot of Leafs games, and I must say that I’m often baffled by just how bad at defence Gardiner is lol. Sure he can put up points, but I would much rather go with Myers. 

In fact, I really like Myers. I think he’s a good 3-4 defenseman.

If the Canucks are seriously considering throwing substantial money at Gardiner, then it makes me a little concerned with our pro scouting staff. We finally have our amateur scouting staff firing on all cylinders, I pray the tires don’t fall off our pro scouting staff with this signing lol. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Fans want to run players out of town all the time, deserving or not. Toronto fans ran Frank Mahovlich out of town and he is in the HHOF.

I agree that some players get "sheltered" O-zone starts for a reason but that reason quite often is because they are good offensive players that can create scoring opportunities off the face-off. Brent Burns had 63.4% O-zone starts and I hardly think anyone considers him to be getting sheltered starts. You may also want to check Burns and Doughty's takeaway/giveaway stats as these stats would indicate they are even bigger "giveaway machines" than even Gardiner is.

You and everyone else are entitled to their opinion, and I respect that opinions will differ, but I will stick to my opinion that Gardiner is a better player than most think.

You’re comparing Gardiner to a hockey hall of famer and Doughty and Burns who will end up there?

oooh kay!

:picard:

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

My wife is from Toronto so we watch a lot of Leafs games, and I must say that I’m often baffled by just how bad at defence Gardiner is lol. Sure he can put up points, but I would much rather go with Myers. 

In fact, I really like Myers. I think he’s a good 3-4 defenseman.

If the Canucks are seriously considering throwing substantial money at Gardiner, then it makes me a little concerned with our pro scouting staff. We finally have our amateur scouting staff firing on all cylinders, I pray the tires don’t fall off our pro scouting staff with this signing lol. 

On the other hand are youokay with throwing a 8x6 contract at a 3-4 defensman? Thats what it might cost to land Myers. 

I want him too but the contract has to be a little team friendly.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

On the other hand are youokay with throwing a 8x6 contract at a 3-4 defensman? Thats what it most cost to land Myers. 

I want him too but the contract has to be a little team friendly.

Nope, that’s far too much term. I’m definitely not okay with that. If we could get him at 5x6 or 6x6 max then I’d be okay with it.

With the cap raising as often as it does, just a few years into his contract 6 million will seem closer to 5. NHL inflation lol

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Fanuck said:

What worries me is the constant reporting that JB has indicated he is interested in changing the composition of the defence core drastically - meaning he's going to do something 'drastic' about it.  The last 'drastic' measure was LE and we know that story sadly....

Apparently your understanding of the meaning of that word is radically different from what it actually means.

7 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The dangers of having a GM with no contract extension going into free agency.. seriously Aquilini needs to extend Benning so he has a longer term outlook beyond this year. I don't wan't this drastic thing to be an attempt to save his job. He should feel secure going into free agency, firing GMs is cheap compared to coaches and bad player contracts.

Where is this coming from, but projection?  "He's going to destroy the team just to save his job" is nonsense and with zero evidence or rationality.  How would he (or any other GM who did it) ever get a job again?  As if they are reactionary desperate children, not senior business executives.  Even the muppets in the local media debunk this fallacious narrative.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Stamkos said:

And you guys hated Gudbranson? Imagine getting one of these guys. 

At the very least we would be able to extend Tanev’s career with one or both of these guys. 

I like Guddy, but Myers is several tiers above him......he's a legit 2-4 dman

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

I like Guddy, but Myers is several tiers above him......he's a legit 2-4 dman

Fans are making silly comparisons between the two. They are both tall rightys and that's about it. Meyers has a nice first pass and is a great skater for his size. He can actually turn and react and not rely on the glass to get the puck out. Edit. I would love to have Myers here, but no on a stupid long contract. 5 years would be nice. 

Edited by rekker
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Fans are making silly comparisons between the two. They are both tall rightys and that's about it. Meyers has a nice first pass and is a great skater for his size. He can actually turn and react and not rely on the glass to get the puck out. 

For real. Myers is much better equipped for todays nhl than Guddy. I will go as far to say hes a good skater and not just for his size. Once you factor in his size hes an excellent skater. Offensive ability is night and day. Myers put up more pts in his last 2 seasons than guddy has in his entire career.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

For real. Myers is much better equipped fortodays nhl than Guddy. I will go as far to say hes a good skater and not just for his size. Once yku factorin hus size hes an excellent skater. Offensive ability is night and day. Myers put up more pts in his last 2 seasons than guddy has in his entire career.

So true. Kenny ffnn Powers. I see him working out on the ice here in Kelowna in the summer sometimes. Very good on his edges. 

1 hour ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

They're better than half our defensemen and I've been watching long enough to see that different systems and different change of scenery can do amazing things.

and do you want those guys getting Loui Erosion type contracts?

getting these guys on 5 or 6 year terms will make it harder for this team to sign RFAs and sign better free agents in a couple of years. 

If we were talking 1 or 2 year deals sure, fine whatever, but signifiant terms scare the $&!# out of me. Like i said, I hope this is just Jim finally learning to use the media to generate a smoke screen for who he's really interested in. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

and do you want those guys getting Loui Erosion type contracts?

getting these guys on 5 or 6 year terms will make it harder for this team to sign RFAs and sign better free agents in a couple of years. 

If we were talking 1 or 2 year deals sure, fine whatever, but signifiant terms scare the $&!# out of me. Like i said, I hope this is just Jim finally learning to use the media to generate a smoke screen for who he's really interested in. 

I’m worried that because Jimbo is in a contract year of his own he’s going to take some drastic measures to ‘improve’ this team on paper this offseason in order to prolong his tenure here. There are only a handful of top 4 FA D this year and you best believe Jimmy is gonna open the chequebook for at least one of them. 

15 minutes ago, Pickly said:

I’m worried that because Jimbo is in a contract year of his own he’s going to take some drastic measures to ‘improve’ this team on paper this offseason in order to prolong his tenure here. There are only a handful of top 4 FA D this year and you best believe Jimmy is gonna open the chequebook for at least one of them. 

if we have to get an overpaid 3D then lets go for Zaitsav, at least he should come with prospect and/or picks  

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Where is this coming from, but projection?  "He's going to destroy the team just to save his job" is nonsense and with zero evidence or rationality.  How would he (or any other GM who did it) ever get a job again?  As if they are reactionary desperate children, not senior business executives.  Even the muppets in the local media debunk this fallacious narrative.

All I am saying is that without an extension the pressure is there for JB to do something he may not do if he had another 2-3 years on his contract. Maybe he will or maybe he wont, but I hope he doesn't sign Gardiner to a 6x7 deal to uphold his word of 'significant changes to the defence'. Because he will be evaluated on our d core next year as that has been a weak point for us for a couple of seasons, and he knows this.

14 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Vancouver Canucks

Scoring by Defence -Starting 6

Projected 2019-2020 Season                                               Actual 2018-2019  Season

Myers .......9.........22........31                                              Edler.............10..........24.........34

Gardiner....3.........27........30                                              Stecher...........2..........21.........23

Stecher......2........21.........23                                              Hutton............5..........15.........20

Hutton.......5.........15.........20                                             Tanev..............2..........10.........12

Tanev........2.........10.........12                                              Pouliot............3...........9..........12

Hughes.....2.........48.........50  (Projected)                          Del zotto.........1..........4.............5

======================                                             =========================

23        143     166                                                                   23         83        106

Approx. 59% scoring increase

Note..........I am almost to be inclined to think it is on the low side............

Myers would now be on the number 1 scoring line, and be 1st PP unit, which has to translate into more points

Gardiner would now be playing with Stecher and have more offensive freedom

Tanev would be playing 3rd pairing and would not have the same calibre of opponent 

These 2 signings alone, would add a different dimension to our offense, not to mention add assets to the cupboard.......

I am in!......lots of holes in this argument, but I wanted to be positive!

Same amount of goals from the D corps isn't good enough.    

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if we have to get an overpaid 3D then lets go for Zaitsav, at least he should come with prospect and/or picks  

I'd take Zaitsev... but only as part of a larger deal with Kapanen.

TO is going to lose a fwd, we give them a cap break taking Z  to get Kap at a good price. 

3 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

I'd take Zaitsev... but only as part of a larger deal with Kapanen.

TO is going to lose a fwd, we give them a cap break taking Z  to get Kap at a good price. 

to me thats far better than being anchored with the last 3 years of whatever Gardiner and Myers will get. 

• Upvote 1