The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 2019 Off Season Thread - ufas, trades, ideas

As much as I hate the poisonous posters at hfcanucks....the one thing I like is the general off season summer thread where posters can chat about all things Canucks including ufa ideas, trades, the draft, etc. So I started this thread for that. MODS let me know if you don't feel that works here.

I can start. JB needs top 6 forwards and top 4 D.

We have chatted about trades for Zucker, Kapanen, Panarin, Lee, and others in numerous other threads. That doesn't include D ideas like trading for Trouba or Zaitsev. Drafting Broberg. Getting a UFA like Karlsson or Myers.

Would be easy for us to discuss in one overall thread where you can talk about trades, UFAs, or draft picks.

MODS: if you disagree this thread doesn't fit then do what you need to.  Thanks!!

• Cheers 1

So a very successful summer for JB would be something like this:

- sign Panarin UFA

- trade for Kapanen / Zaitsev - Tanev at 50% and goldy (or some other minor asset)

- trade for Zucker - Virtanen (although I like the kid)

- trade for Trouba if he would sign long term with Vancouver - 10th overall + player + prospect (not sure what it would take)

- sign Edler no NMC 

- clear out some of our bottom 6 players and d

Panarin - Petey - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Kapanen

Edler Trouba

Hughes Zaitsev

OJ Stecher (by mid season - trade Hutton)

Schenn

Marky

Demko

Easy peezy  ::D

Oops: traded for Kapanen and Zucker lol.......would only need/want one of them.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Like 1

That pretty much covers everything in the CDC these days..drafting Broberg, Seider or Soderstrom has been discussed quite a bit in the draft thread..same with a top six forward like Boldy, Krebs, Zegras etc (the guys that could still be around).   

As for the EK threads there are several, same with potential UFAs such as Myers, and the impossibles - Panarin, Duchene, Skinner etc.

Zaitsev has his own thread (proposals) and is a semi-hot topic given they’ve said they are potentially shopping him.  Trouba and Dumba have been talked about on and off for most of the past year...

Personally I find it easier to go to the proposal section and go through each idea individually even though a lot end up as duplicates (trade Tanev to TO for x player) and buried and forgotten for awhile.  As far as the draft goes that’s well covered under a specific thread.   I get that summer “catch all” might make things a little simpler, but I worry about the pages of material one thread would collect under such a broad spectrum of discussion points.   The flip side is everything you’ve mentioned is already well under way and there’s a small novel worth of material already out there discussing “UFAs, trade ideas and the draft”.  Welcome new ones for sure maybe a thread on a certain  thing you had in mind?

• Upvote 1

Seems a reasonable notion, to centralize/organize ideas for the team's summer mos. The proposal pg is getting a heavy workout!

In later May started a thread outlining 7 things I'd like the team/JB pulls off. To summarize, I hope they stay modest, & don't chase big names. Go into the yr with about 7-10 mill still on the books. Imho, it's a little early to chase the big fish.

That said, with hosting the draft, hope there are a few bold moves to improve our roster-depth. Mostly enhanced by helping other GM's outa' their cap-conundrums. But that ALL comes down to how much ownership is willing to shell out(taking on mistakes, + add-ins).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That pretty much covers everything in the CDC these days..drafting Broberg, Seider or Soderstrom has been discussed quite a bit in the draft thread..same with a top six forward like Boldy, Krebs, Zegras etc (the guys that could still be around).   

As for the EK threads there are several, same with potential UFAs such as Myers, and the impossibles - Panarin, Duchene, Skinner etc.

Zaitsev has his own thread (proposals) and is a semi-hot topic given they’ve said they are potentially shopping him.  Trouba and Dumba have been talked about on and off for most of the past year...

Personally I find it easier to go to the proposal section and go through each idea individually even though a lot end up as duplicates (trade Tanev to TO for x player) and buried and forgotten for awhile.  As far as the draft goes that’s well covered under a specific thread.   I get that summer “catch all” might make things a little simpler, but I worry about the pages of material one thread would collect under such a broad spectrum of discussion points.   The flip side is everything you’ve mentioned is already well under way and there’s a small novel worth of material already out there discussing “UFAs, trade ideas and the draft”.  Welcome new ones for sure maybe a thread on a certain  thing you had in mind?

Fair enough. I do check all the threads and though maybe a catch all works to. But I am totally fine if everyone wants to stay as is. I like that also. Thanks for the feedback.

If the Canucks take on long term cap dumps, high priced ufa's and trades for players without any regard to the salary cap or the ED, they will be doomed.  Seems like some fans are becoming impatient with the rebuild and want to skip the growing pains of a young team.

I don't believe that most of the star players (ufa) would want to come to Van, but if they did agree they would want ++++$++++term and NMC/NTC.  With all the whining about Eriksson, would you really want to take on a cap dump from another team?  The only ones that will get a decent return will have many years of term and the player will also block the prospects coming up.  Trading for a good player from another team will require a good player from the Canucks; most likely a promising young guy already on the team.

What happens to all the guys getting pushed out by these new guys?  Let them walk?  Send them to Utica? Trade for picks?

My preference is to make gradual changes.  Start with Bo's line; perhaps;  Pearson   Bo  Kapanen -I don't think JB has to break the bank here or lose a terribly significant player. If they can't acquire Kaps, they see about Justin Williams or Vanek for a couple of years. Of course there's always the Loui experiment...

I don't think Pete's line needs a change as Baer will come in healthy and we'll get a chance to see how well he fits on the 1st line. 

If they have to pickup some younger (27)ufas for longer term, have a look at Zuccerello, Connolly or Dzingal for longer term, but still no restrictive contracts.

A similar approach for the D. Get a guy like Stralman short term to cover the RD for a couple of season (overpay him a bit for the short term).  The time to acquire a really good RD is 2020 ufa.  There will also be opportunities to improve as team' start getting ready for the ED.

Again, there are more players than positions, so it will be a very interesting preseason.

I would like to see a steady improvement by the team this year.  They lost a lot of 1 goal games that they need to win.  It would be great for them to gain some playoff experience; even if it's just the 1st round.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

As much as I hate the poisonous posters at hfcanucks....the one thing I like is the general off season summer thread where posters can chat about all things Canucks including ufa ideas, trades, the draft, etc. So I started this thread for that. MODS let me know if you don't feel that works here.

CDC has a whole sub-forum devoted to proposals:

http://forum.canucks.com/forum/33-proposals-and-armchair-gming/

And there are draft threads and all that sort of thing as well. It's too hard to try and centralize (and then follow!) such a broad area of discussion.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I can start. JB needs top 6 forwards and top 4 D.

We have chatted about trades for Zucker, Kapanen, Panarin, Lee, and others in numerous other threads. That doesn't include D ideas like trading for Trouba or Zaitsev. Drafting Broberg. Getting a UFA like Karlsson or Myers.

Would be easy for us to discuss in one overall thread where you can talk about trades, UFAs, or draft picks.

MODS: if you disagree this thread doesn't fit then do what you need to.  Thanks!!

Your thread is fine, however we need to keep it in the proper subforum, which is Proposals and Armchair GMing. 

• Thanks 1

Trading Virtanen for anything other than a younger and more established player would make this anything but a successful summer for the Vancouver Canucks.    When you have a player on a slower development curve but trending in the right direction and who is this young, with this skillset you are trading from a position of weakness and taking on extreme risk for really no real reason other than "we need to make a trade".   Just go look at Tom Wilson's age/progression (or others as examples in the Virtanen thread) for cautionary tales.

• Upvote 2

Free agency is a minefield because players heading into their free agent year will try to inflate their numbers.  So instead, I look for buy low candidates which are a lot harder to find.  Using the EvolvingWild contract projections for their top 100 with a history of positive underlying numbers, I only came up with 6 names:

Jake Gardiner  28 yo  7 yr. 6.9 million

Jordan Eberle  29 yo  7 yr. 6.0 million

Marcus Johansson   28 yo  4 yr. 4.6 million

Derick Brassard  31 yo  3 yr. 4.0 million

Patrick Maroon  31 yo  3 yr.  3.6 million

Carl Hagelin  30 yo  3 yr.  2.4 million

What is interesting is that the Nucks is rumored before to be interested in two of them (Gardiner and Johansson).  Also, there is only one D in the group so the picking aren't that great.  It could be Gardiner and Eberle will be looking at too much term while Johansson looks like the most attractive option.  Just my opinion.

Most of us have been all over the kinds of guys we want to bring in, but not a lot has been said as to who leaves and how. We really do have a significant glut of forwards to address, and it will only get worse if we find Bo a good linemate and Petey a LW.  Benning is going to have to be creative, and perhaps lose some bonifide bottom tier guys for middling to long shot prospects... along will letting some guys walk. 

Say we got 2 top 6 guys in the offseason as many are hoping.  Heres what we have for the bottom 6...  assuming qualifying our RFAs:

Baer (would be pushed out of top 6)

Motte

Goldobin

Leivo

Roussel

Granlund

Virtanen

Beagle

Sutter

Schaller

Eriksson

Even if we somehow manage to keep a couple of these guys as reserves, that still leaves maybe 3 guys who have to go in some manner and doesn't allow ANY room for young guys like MacEwen or Gaudette. I'd be fine with waiving Schaller and Spooner so that is a good start I guess. We still need to lose at least 1 more.

Now that I've worked it all out it doesnt seem so bad.  Somehow moving Eriksson completes the roster trimming if we could pull it off. Or maybe Sutter if we want to sell low. Perhaps a package of a couple. Either way, it isn't THAT dire.  I just don't want to delete this post as I just spent 10 minutes working it all out. :)

On 6/8/2019 at 3:29 PM, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Trade Eriksson and Sutter and retain 1/2 salary for Lucic and Puljujarvi.

Buy out Tryamkin KHL contract.

Sign Meyers,

Tryamkin has to buy out his own contract.  The Canucks can not do it. 

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Yes, but couldn’t we then include that buyout dollar in Tryamkin’s new contract with us?  He buys out 1 million from his KHL team, and his new contract with us is 4 years at 3.25 per year, instead of 3 per year.  He gets a signing bonus of 1 million, which is part if his first year’s salary.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yes, but couldn’t we then include that buyout dollar in Tryamkin’s new contract with us?  He buys out 1 million from his KHL team, and his new contract with us is 4 years at 3.25 per year, instead of 3 per year.  He gets a signing bonus of 1 million, which is part if his first year’s salary.  

Sure. But he can’t sign the NHL contract (and hence be paid the bonus) until his KHL contract is terminated.  Also. consider Canadian taxes. To have $1m to buy out a contract they’d have to pay him closer to $1.5m. 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Sure. But he can’t sign the NHL contract (and hence be paid the bonus) until his KHL contract is terminated.  Also. consider Canadian taxes. To have $1m to buy out a contract they’d have to pay him closer to $1.5m. 

I think JB said too that Tryamkin was going to complete his contract in the KHL.  I just think we could help Nick pay the buyout, but not directly, of course.

My summer is full of hope

Trade for Callahan from Tampa...……….buy out Callahan...…...obtain 2019 picks

Trade for Clarkson from Vegas...………..keep Clarkson on LTIR...…….obtain 2019 picks

Draft one of...………..Dach, Zegras, Boldy, Seider, Soderstrom or Krebs?, with our 10th OA

Draft one of...………..Korczak, Thomson, Grewe, Vlasic, with our 2nd

Sign UFA...…………..Panarin or Duchene

Sign UFA...…………..Schenn

Sign UFA...…………..Edler

Sign UFA...…………..Myers or Stralman

Trade Eriksson...…….after bonus is paid out for pucks...………………...maybe a 4th?

Trade Sutter...………..in summer for 2020 picks...………………………...3rd

Trade Baertschi...…...in summer for 2020 picks...…………………………3rd

Trade Hutton...……....at TDL for 2020 picks...……………………………..2nd

Trade Schaller……….at TDL for 2020 picks...……………………………...6th

Trade Spooner...…….at TDL for 2020 picks...……………………………...5th

If 50% of this happens, I am happy (7/14)

If 60 % of this happens, I am extremely happy (8/14)

IF any more of this happens, I know I should get up and have coffee

15 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Is that true? There is no agreement between the KHL and NHL is there?

Even so a large signing bonus could take care of that.

At least Benning is talking about needing to be much bigger but he still talks about 2 to 4 years for a draft pick to be ready for the NHL, which is really archaic thinking by the comments made by a lot of GM's

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 8:08 PM, WestCoastDave said:

Free agency is a minefield because players heading into their free agent year will try to inflate their numbers.  So instead, I look for buy low candidates which are a lot harder to find.  Using the EvolvingWild contract projections for their top 100 with a history of positive underlying numbers, I only came up with 6 names:

Jake Gardiner  28 yo  7 yr. 6.9 million

Jordan Eberle  29 yo  7 yr. 6.0 million

Marcus Johansson   28 yo  4 yr. 4.6 million

Derick Brassard  31 yo  3 yr. 4.0 million

Patrick Maroon  31 yo  3 yr.  3.6 million

Carl Hagelin  30 yo  3 yr.  2.4 million

What is interesting is that the Nucks is rumored before to be interested in two of them (Gardiner and Johansson).  Also, there is only one D in the group so the picking aren't that great.  It could be Gardiner and Eberle will be looking at too much term while Johansson looks like the most attractive option.  Just my opinion.

Checking on my earlier list of buy/low candidates, both Eberle (good playoffs) and Hagelin (Wash need him for their penalty kill) were signed to reasonable deals.  Gardiner appears to be heading for a big payday, Johansson and Maroon had good playoffs with the latter likely to resign with St. Louis.  Looking at the next 100 or so players below the top 100, I came up with some more names (more likely depth signings):

Tyler Ennis 29 yo  3 yr. 1,8 million

Brad Hunt 30 yo  2 yr. 1.2 million  (resigned 2 yr. 0.7 million)

Brandon Pirri 28 yo 1 yr. 1.2 million

Jason Pominville 36 yo 1 yr. 1.1 million

Alex Petrovic 27 yo 1 yr. 0.9 million

Bogdan Kiselevich 29 yo 1 yr. 0.9 million

Chris Wideman 29 yo 1 yr. 0.9 million

The most attractive one is probably Petrovic 6-4  216 lb. RD just what the Nucks need.