• Signs with Canucks 1-2 years 7 mill or less
    • Signs with canucks 1-2 years more than 7 mill
    • signs with Canucks more than 2 years 7 mill or less
    • signs with Canucks more than 2 years show me the money more then 7 mill
    • Signs else where more than 2 years 7 mill or less
    • signs else where more then 2 years 7 mill or more show me the money
    • signs else where absolutely 8 million-9million 4-5 years

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/2019 at 11:22 AM

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree, and disagree.  On one hand, it leaves someone exposed.  On the other hand, if he leaves and they can't find a replacement, they are in serious trouble on the backend and will probably slide in the standings, rather than climb.  To me, they need to build, not slide.  They can worry about the ED later

See, and the bolded part to me is what I wholeheartedly disagree with. If we worry about the entry draft later rather than planning now, we're just postponing that step back until that time. Sure, they could counter that then, but how is that any different than doing the exact same thing now?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

Yeah furry lips would be enough to give anyone a heart attack.. :)

I'm more wondering how would he get his nose out of the way first? That would be a hard kiss to perform to begin with before even considering the fur.

• Haha 1

By the way things have panned out so far, someone is not telling the truth here. 

Either: Edler doesn't really want to stay here and has decided to go for the money instead OR

The club no longer wants him and they are looking at FA to change things up. 

If this is not the case then he would have been signed already.

I think the main theme here is that yes we still need him, as presently he is one of our best defenseman. The problem? This need will decline as time goes by and will revert to a "Well how do we get rid of him now?" thought process. I am thinking this may start as early as next year.

Remember when it was thought that it would be a good idea to resign the Sedins? 

I would be OK with any kind of 2 year deal but I do not want an old vet impeding on our ability to sign the future(EP/Hughes) when the time comes. Some teams have already made that mistake and we should be learning from these if we know what's good for us.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

By the way things have panned out so far, someone is not telling the truth here. 

Either: Edler doesn't really want to stay here and has decided to go for the money instead OR

The club no longer wants him and they are looking at FA to change things up. 

If this is not the case then he would have been signed already.

I think the main theme here is that yes we still need him, as presently he is one of our best defenseman. The problem? This need will decline as time goes by and will revert to a "Well how do we get rid of him now?" thought process. I am thinking this may start as early as next year.

Remember when it was thought that it would be a good idea to resign the Sedins? 

I would be OK with any kind of 2 year deal but I do not want an old vet impeding on our ability to sign the future(EP/Hughes) when the time comes. Some teams have already made that mistake and we should be learning from these if we know what's good for us.

Exactly.  Look what Detroit did in re-signing a similar player at a similar age to a long term deal in Kronwall.   They figured they couldn’t do it without him and sucked big time anyways, and had some of the worst cap issues during that time span (add Green to that list).   His 34 next year ffs.  And he’s injured all the time.   If we don’t have him and it means we suck again next year so be it, more drafts picks on the way and other options available later, his 7-8 million can be used in other ways to help the team long term by picking guys that are close in caliber (Gardiner and Myers obviously) who shouldn’t regress until near the end of their next deals if it all.  Garndiner was plus 19 in 60 games, scored 30, 52, 43 the past three years (and was plus 52 over that time span) and gets his fair share on the PP...his poor defensive play is exaggerated on this site ...TO sucked without him.  

THN has him as the 9th best UFA and second best defenseman...Edler is 17th, Myers 11.   People need to wake up a bit and realize we don’t need him.   Hutton and Stecher were thrown in the deep end when Edler and Tanev were out...and actually did admirably.   If we have to play the kids and walk away from them both and take our medicine until help arrives and the kids take over then so be it, two or three more years or collecting high firsts will supersize the teams ability to contend instead of just making the playoffs anyways.   Won’t happen, Benning wants to keep his job, so I expect changes ... maybe some big ones too.   It’s an end of an era might as well embrace it, out with the old injury prone placeholders, in with the new younger vets would be good for us.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Exactly.  Look what Detroit did in re-signing a similar player at a similar age to a long term deal in Kronwall.   They figured they couldn’t do it without him and sucked big time anyways, and had some of the worst cap issues during that time span (add Green to that list).   His 34 next year ffs.  And he’s injured all the time.   If we don’t have him and it means we suck again next year so be it, more drafts picks on the way and other options available later, his 7-8 million can be used in other ways to help the team long term by picking guys that are close in caliber (Gardiner and Myers obviously) who shouldn’t regress until near the end of their next deals if it all.  Garndiner was plus 19 in 60 games, scored 30, 52, 43 the past three years (and was plus 52 over that time span) and gets his fair share on the PP...his poor defensive play is exaggerated on this site ...TO sucked without him.  

THN has him as the 9th best UFA and second best defenseman...Edler is 17th, Myers 11.   People need to wake up a bit and realize we don’t need him.   Hutton and Stecher were thrown in the deep end when Edler and Tanev were out...and actually did admirably.   If we have to play the kids and walk away from them both and take our medicine until help arrives and the kids take over then so be it, two or three more years or collecting high firsts will supersize the teams ability to contend instead of just making the playoffs anyways.   Won’t happen, Benning wants to keep his job, so I expect changes ... maybe some big ones too.   It’s an end of an era might as well embrace it, out with the old injury prone placeholders, in with the new younger vets would be good for us.

I am all for pulling the band aid off, even if it hurts for a little while. ::D The nice thing is that "Cap Space" puts in a position of strength and there are definitely "options" out there.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Or some are severely over estimating him.  If estimating him at 3 - 4 rather than 2 -3 is severe.........  

I should have said, imo.  To me, any player that can play 25-30 mins against the other teams top players every single night, and do it well, is legit #1-2.  

I'm definitely not saying he doesn't struggle with the puck sometimes, but his offense was a little better this year and should improve as the top tier fwds get better too 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Hutton did not do admirably.......stetch was passable for a short period, but Hutton was clearly in way over his head.  He cannot do what Edler does.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, The Lock said:

See, and the bolded part to me is what I wholeheartedly disagree with. If we worry about the entry draft later rather than planning now, we're just postponing that step back until that time. Sure, they could counter that then, but how is that any different than doing the exact same thing now?

I don't disagree with that, necessarily.  But if they don't sign Edler or have a significant replacement lined up, they are going to waste the next three years of Petey, boes, Bo etc.

OJ, QH, Woo etc are a few years from carrying the load that Edler carries.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I am all for pulling the band aid off, even if it hurts for a little while. ::D The nice thing is that "Cap Space" puts in a position of strength and there are definitely "options" out there.

Funny thing is when we eventually do the wound is probably almost healed or like last year when the Sedins retired (i read all these posts about how we would never recover from their 100 pts lost etc) the wound was already healed ha ha...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

How can you even compare the two guys?  Ones a rookie sensation that suffered an unfortunate injury, and played amazing down the stretch when EPs offense dried up (ahem clutch) had his best month in March when it counts the most...the other is an oft whipping boy (for some good and some bad reasons) who happened to have his best season in years and years and years and years and years ... going back to his previous contract where he also had one season that held up with being a number one defenseman, albeit one low on the totem pole...

I'm not comparing them. I wonder how Boeser will be treated if he become an injury prone player. Some fans have a real problem with injuries even if the player gets injuried giving all for the club. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

I'm not comparing them. I wonder how Boeser will be treated if he become an injury prone player. Some fans have a real problem with injuries even if the player gets injuried giving all for the club. 

Are you suggesting some players get the love from fans (and forgiveness too) because of where they were born?  Fans don’t care where a player is from.  We just want our team to win.  

6 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

It gets pretty frustrating when it's season after season.  It's no fault of the player, but eventually you just want them to move on.  For me, that's not Eddie (yet), but it is Tanev, without question.  

Signing Eddie has got to be the priority, followed by either moving Tanev, or finding someone (UFA), who can slide into his spot and force him into a #5 role, where he won't be relied upon so heavily.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are you suggesting some players get the love from fans (and forgiveness too) because of where they were born?  Fans don’t care where a player is from.  We just want our team to win.  

Naahh, that I already know. 

Some fans are so all over the world. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Gotcha...i think in general fans are happy if any player is earning his contract...when he isn’t like LE there is some grumpy commentary.  Elder is a special case because we had high hopes for him all those years ago when he had 48 points...and then over seven years he averaged 26.  And then there is the last three years when the team starts well and is in the playoff hunt, then falls of the map when the usual suspects (Tanev, Sutter, Edler) get injured.   Some of the angst is justifiable, some irrational for sure.  If Boeser signs a big contract and doesn’t produce you can bet your lucky stars eventually fans will lose patience.  

Seriously, 8 million per year over 5 years for a player that wouldn't currently be a top-pairing defenseman on most contenders and who is likely to decline each year of the contract?  That's crazy.