The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alexander Edler to hit the free agency market

Based on the UFA market for D, I have to imagine the Canucks are looking even harder at the trade market right now being so far apart with Edler.  Even if they re-signed Edler, the D still needed a makeover.

I'm very curious if the Canucks' 1st Rd pick is in play for Trouba.  I don't think that will be enough and I suspect other teams will be able to put together better packages for Trouba, but he's one of the few RHD available that I think could legitimately be worth a big package in a trade (he's only 25).

5 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Based on the UFA market for D, I have to imagine the Canucks are looking even harder at the trade market right now being so far apart with Edler.  Even if they re-signed Edler, the D still needed a makeover.

I'm very curious if the Canucks' 1st Rd pick is in play for Trouba.  I don't think that will be enough and I suspect other teams will be able to put together better packages for Trouba, but he's one of the few RHD available that I think could legitimately be worth a big package in a trade (he's only 25).

I'd trade the 1st plus hutton and maybe a B prospect.

Our 1st is top 10 so that is the big piece and Hutton is a young NHL Dman that could play top 4. 

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

While I certainly agree we wouldn't be as good as we'd likely be with him, Hughes is already likely to eat up some of Edler's offensive/PP minutes. We could theoretically sign some vet, depth D to play the Sutter/Beagle role (on D rather than F) and play some of the harder match up minutes...

It wouldn't 'replace' him but it would probably be enough to hold the fort (while almost certainly ensuring another decent pick). That's our worst case scenario. And if it happens, it happens.

IMO, this is all just further posturing. There's no actual new news here and there likely won't be until his agent's had a chance to talk to other teams after June 23rd and up his leverage to get the best deal for his client. I'm actually surprised Dhaliwal is falling for it (or even worse, is complicit in it). That's TMZ 1040 territory if that's the case.

Not shocked by the panic/jilted ex-lover reaction on CDC though :lol: Them hornets just love being stirred.

I agree that it's likely a negotiating tactic.

Hughes will, no doubt, eat up his PP mins, but there's no one to line up against the top fwds on opposing teams if Edler goes.  And, as great as it is to get offense from the back end, the primary job of a defender is to defend and no one else in the org even comes close to Edler in that dept.  IMO, they can't afford to back slide this season.

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree that it's likely a negotiating tactic.

Hughes will, no doubt, eat up his PP mins, but there's no one to line up against the top fwds on opposing teams if Edler goes.  And, as great as it is to get offense from the back end, the primary job of a defender is to defend and no one else in the org even comes close to Edler in that dept.  IMO, they can't afford to back slide this season.

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We could theoretically sign some vet, depth D to play the Sutter/Beagle role (on D rather than F) and play some of the harder match up minutes...

It wouldn't 'replace' him but it would probably be enough to hold the fort (while almost certainly ensuring another decent pick). That's our worst case scenario. And if it happens, it happens.

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Ohlund could shut down the other teams best forward which is just as good.  Plus, Ohlund was able to score some goals with only one good eye.

Ohlund definitely a better defenceman then Edler. Edler has the points of a best defenceman but thats only because how long he's been with us. I am sure if Jovocop or Ohlund served their whole career here then they would have better numbers then Edler

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Trouba doesn't want to play in Canada, so trading for him is a massive waste of assets. 

Edited by canuck73_3

16 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

"If you don't give me a no-move clause so I don't potentially have to go play for another team I'm... I'm gonna go play for another team."

Lol got a good chuckle... I see what you're saying and it's definitely funny... but I see where Alex is coming from... 

He just wants to settle in one city and not have to move his kids in the middle of a season. He'd rather get his NMC and have all summer to move his family and get settled rather than sign with us and who knows maybe get traded in January of 2020... and then that team moves him in November 2021 ... and so forth. The guy just wants stability. 

I'm gonna be extremely disappointed if we can't find a fit for Alex... but as a guy who has given so much for this franchise, I have to respect his decision to move on if that's what he see's best for his family. 

That being said, Alex please don't leave :(

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, brian42 said:

The canucks had some discussions with Edler prior to the trade deadline and the canucks have made it clear that they would not give a no move clause for 3 years or more.  

Edler refused to to waive his no-trade

now he’s gonna sign somewhere else?

screw elder and his legacy I’m tired of the canucks getting shafted and not re-couping assets.  Elder should have been a man and helped this team by waiving like Burrows did if he was going to move on, an extra first round pick would be nice. Hurry up Hughes and destroy any sad record Edler has. 

Your correct, Edlers legacy here will be "Most injured defenceman of all time"

6 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Your correct, Edlers legacy here will be "Most injured defenceman of all time"

You been a Canucks fan for 2 years orrrrrrr?

Salo is the heavyweight champion of the world in the injuries accumulated division.

Runner up is Chris Tanev

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CanuckGAME said:

You been a Canucks fan for 2 years orrrrrrr?

Salo is the heavyweight champion of the world in the injuries accumulated division.

Runner up is Chris Tanev

Salo didn't play nearly as long for us but I'll agree he's injury prone as well

44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Chara has signed one, one year contract. At the age of 41.

Whatever point you're trying to make, you're entirely failing at. And I didn't compare them either.

Perhaps you are just failing to comprehend.   

Simplification - If Edler is serious about staying here, he should consider the kind of deal Chara took from Boston.  

14 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

-refuses to waive his NTC for last 2 seasons because "he loves the city/team and doesnt want to leave"

-demands a NTC/NMC with this contract because he doesnt want to get traded/picked up by Seattle

Nice try Alex.  I'm real sure you're going to explore free agency.  See you at training camp.

He may very well have decided to leave via free agency out of principle; his principle being a sense of entitlement that the organization owes him even more stability to the point that it handcuffs the team moving forward. 

I'm really hoping that this is merely posturing to get more money now that he knows he's isn't going to get the NMC he wants, because if it's not then Eddie will have shown us his true colours, and they aren't pretty. 

My bet is on him resigning with us for more money but without being protected. 

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

He may very well have decided to leave via free agency out of principle; his principle being a sense of entitlement that the organization owes him even more stability to the point that it handcuffs the team moving forward. 

I'm really hoping that this is merely posturing to get more money now that he knows he's isn't going to get the NMC he wants, because if it's not then Eddie will have shown us his true colours, and they aren't pretty. 

My bet is on him resigning with us for more money but without being protected. 

He can re-sign here for a deal that doesn't handcuff the team going forward and look forward to having his sweater retired and being a local hero or...he can go to a new market for a short few years and retire in obscurity.