The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks aggressively pursuing Tyson Barrie

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The Bruins won when the Blues were off their game.  When the Blues were playing their hard forecheck game, Boston had no answer.  If not for Rask, it wouldn't have gone to 7 (and a Chara playing with a broken jaw).

They still made it to the Stanley Cup finals!  Jeez what do you want more.  

You're expectation are way too high man.  You want Pietrangelo, you want Parayko, you Want Bouwmeester....fine it'll cost you Boeser Horvat , Hughes and more.  I mean I want Pietranegelo on my team too...but right now there are no Pietrangelo available.  Waiting to draft one can take 20 years and trading for one will mortgage the next 20 years of the team.

Right now Barrie would be the best defenseman on this team by far.  I love Edler and Hughes will be very good, but right now one is on the decline and the other has played 5 nhl games.    As for Stetcher, who knows where he'll be in 3-4 years (when we should be competitive).  I don't think he's necessarily in the long-term plans, lots of moving part until then.  IMO Stetcher is not top 4 material in any contending teams...so he's disposable.

Of course, I'm not saying go all out for Barrie.   The price needs to be reasonable for a trade to happen.  But if he's available for the right price...why not go for him?

Edited by timberz21
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I dont think oilers would be foolish enough to think barrie turn them into a contender. He’s 28 years old. Trading and signing him is a long term move. It would be no different than canucks showing interest in him. 

The landscape has changed since May. as Elliot Friedman stated. barrie has to be one of the happiest people after seeing that Karlsson contract. He’s going to get paid and paid big. He also stated that sakic is talking about his options and said if they do it, it will be a hockey move. That would mean they are open to the idea. 

Its Edmonton. No one wants to play and live in that city. But with that said. I’m sure playing on the PP with the games best player sure would help ease his pain. 

Sure but there are no guarantees that he’s still available. The team that trades for him could sign him before he hits UFA. 

Sakic wants a hockey trade but I don't think Holland is interested in making that kind of move right now.  He admits not knowing his roster very well.  He talks of how he only has 3 top-6 Fs and sees one of them on the wing.  I just don't see him making that kind of move when he doesn't know the team and who is coming up through the system.  The coach is also new.  

Barrie might prefer to sign with a contender than a team that is still a big question mark as Holland cleans things up.   

It doesn't even really make sense for Colorado to trade him.  They have cap space and he fits really well with their team.   Johnson is slowing down and Barrie is only 27.   Timmins might not even be a player.   Can they really that easily replace him.

They are picking 4th this draft and there are several Cs available.  

Edited by mll

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Gostisbehere is comparable to a Barrie in size and point production and would be way cheaper.

Colin Miller would be a decent pick up, and way cheaper

Ghost is going to be much more expensive than Barrie. Ghost is a year younger and is signed for 3 more years at a measly 4.5 million or thereabouts and Barrie is looking to cash in on his next contract likely around the 7-8 mill range for 6-7 years (he'd be worth it for sure). Ghost has already eclipsed Barries highest point total of 59 points which came last year with his own 65 point season playing on a much less talented team than the Avs.

2 hours ago, Gäz said:

I don't think he'll be worth more to us than what we would have to give up in a trade for him. Colorado, who went on a fantastic run, are the lowest cap team in the NHL right now. I don't see why they would be that interested in moving him (unless as mentioned, they started talking extension and he's not into staying in COL). Not sure what they would want from our team.

Take Loui to reach the floor? :lol:

Done.... will even throw in a 4th round pick :)

6 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

We can send them futures that they can flip somewhere else for immediate help.

Like our #10 pick swapped for their #16 B)

That will certainly help them get a decent top-6 forward.

2 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Of course, I'm not saying go all out for Barrie.   The price needs to be reasonable for a trade to happen.  But if he's available for the right price...why not go for him?

Depending how things shake down, even though they are "free" I think I say no to Gardiner/Myers now, especially with Edler coming back.  Save that coin for a forward if need be  Make a hockey trade and get what we really want/need in a Barrie or Risto, and pick up a placeholder like Stralman to hold the fort until our other prospects are ready (Juolevi, Woo, Tryamkin, etc.).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

We are like a desperate girl/guy in a bar that’s closing soon 

Great quote... was actually thinking the same.

Canucks are linked with just about every available player in the league... and moving swiftly from one to another to another to.......

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

If Edler goes down you need someone clearing the crease in front of the net on PK and other defensive situations.  It helps having some size back there

I'm all for having more size on the defense. Don't get me wrong. Watching the team get manhandled in it's own end for a few years was maddening. Once again, I don't believe it's just as simple as quantifying the situation by adding guys 6'3" and over.

Take Myers for example. He's a towering 6'8" but only comes in at 229 lbs. If you compare him to the likes of Chara and Byfulgien, he gives up about 30 lbs. to those two behemoths. Another thing about those two, in my opinion the most important aspect, is that they are physical and aggressive by nature, seemingly undeterred by any other player in the league.

Having a larger defenseman is great but only if they're willing, ready, and capable to use that size to the team's benefit. Conversely, a team could also have some smaller defensemen who're built like brick (expletive deleted)houses who have a nasty streak and no fear, and those types of players are just as valuable, especially if they can handle the puck and have some speed.

16 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

They still made it to the Stanley Cup finals!  Jeez what do you want more.  

You're expectation are way too high man.  You want Pietrangelo, you want Parayko, you Want Bouwmeester....fine it'll cost you Boeser Horvat , Hughes and more.  I mean I want Pietranegelo on my team too...but right now there are no Pietrangelo available.  Waiting to draft one can take 20 years and trading for one will mortgage the next 20 years of the team.

Right now Barrie would be the best defenseman on this team by far.  I love Edler and Hughes will be very good, but right now one is on the decline and the other has played 5 nhl games.    As for Stetcher, who knows where he'll be in 3-4 years (when we should be competitive).  I don't think he's necessarily in the long-term plans, lots of moving part until then.  IMO Stetcher is not top 4 material in any contending teams...so he's disposable.

Making a trade for the sake of making a trade is not how you build properly.  What happens if in a years time another quality defenceman with size comes on the market?  We don't NEED Barrie just because he became available... Especially if he commands $7m+ per year when his contract is due next year.  

PS - Bouwmeester wouldn't have cost much to acquire.  

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Making a trade for the sake of making a trade is not how you build properly.

You think that's all this is about?  JB has reportedly been pursuing Barrie for some time now, and has been very open about needing that exact type of player and at his exact position.

You can only draft and UFA so much, at some point trades will need to happen.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

You think that's all this is about?  JB has reportedly been pursuing Barrie for some time now, and has been very open about needing that exact type of player and at his exact position.

You can only draft and UFA so much, at some point trades will need to happen.

If be curious if the reports of him going after Barrie were before or after Hughes fell into our hands.

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Totally agree. Teams don't give up young #1 D men for wingers.  It would take at least Boeser and our 1st to get Dumba and they probably still don't do it.....because there are so few #1 D men around.

There are lotsa wingers though. 

He says in a thread where people are trading Sutter for Barrie

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I've been on the move Boeser train for awhile now.  It's not a dislike of BB, it's just that he's one dimensional and he's going to insist on being paid like a superstar........ something if prefer the Canucks avoid with him.  I don't believe he will be good value for the $ he's going to get and he could bring in a legit top 2 dman, such as Dumba.

I'm glad you get it.  Value for value and people forget Dumba was as good as gone much of the last few seasons barring the last 18 months

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He says in a thread where people are trading Sutter for Barrie

I'm glad you get it.  Value for value and people forget Dumba was as good as gone much of the last few seasons barring the last 18 months

New GM and Fenton comes from Nashville where it's all about the puck moving ability of the Ds.  He talks about how their team is going to be so much better because Dumba helps them move the puck out.  

28 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Making a trade for the sake of making a trade is not how you build properly.  What happens if in a years time another quality defenceman with size comes on the market?  We don't NEED Barrie just because he became available... Especially if he commands $7m+ per year when his contract is due next year.  

PS - Bouwmeester wouldn't have cost much to acquire.  

According to who?  You?  If rumor is true and JB is interested, he's not making a trade for the sake of it.  He's genuinely interested in the player.   Last I checked pretty sure his credentials are better than us.   If a good player is available and Benning likes him, he should pursue him every time it happens.  Will he trade for them every time, absolutely not.  Most likely, it'll only happen on very few occasion.  However, if Benning sit on his a$$ and is waiting for the golden child...well that's pretty much a given that'll never happen and that's not how you build a team properly.

What happens if they never become available?   Or if they do, 29 other teams will line up for him...what are the odd of getting him without selling the farm? 

PS - When acquired Bouwmeester cost a 1st rounder.  You seem to think that we are going to acquire Bobby Orr, Nik Lidstrom and Rob Blake all in the same year and win the cup that year.  This is the NHL not Playstation. 

• Upvote 1

Forget Barrie, I want Zadorov.  If Byram is available at 6 and we can somehow flip the 10th pick and Hutton and another pick and get Detriot’s 6th overall then our left side is set for the next decade.

Hughes  Tryamkin 

Byram    Woo

Zadorov  Stecher 

That’s what I’m talking about. That’s a playoff defence if I’ve ever seen one. It even allows us to trade Juolevi for a top 6 forward.

If we can’t get Zadorov I’ll gladly take Nurse and put him in Zadorov’s spot.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

For what it is worth, Avs and Ducks both want to know more about Sutter.   May mean nothing but who knows.....

I mentioned this on HF

Sutter (50%), Hutton, 2nd in 2020 (becomes a 1st if Barrie resigns) - maybe we have to add in a prospect like Lind/Gadjo/Goldy to make it work

for

Barrie

Jost plays 2C along with Kerfoot and Landeskog and Sutter takes on the 3C role. I still believe Sutter is a 20/20 guy when healthy and the best option for 3c at 2.19million. They can select Byram with their 4th and run Byram, Makar, Girard and Timmins as their top 4 along with Hutton and Zadarov as their bottom pairing. I overvalue Hutton and Avs fans likely undervalue him. His true value is likely in between. He is a young two way defenseman that likely hits 35-40 points on an Avs team and can step into the top4 if needed at a sub 4m cap hit.

They can trade their 16thOA for Hoffman out of Florida and run him on the top line with MacK and Raatanen.

• Upvote 1