The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks aggressively pursuing Tyson Barrie

Just now, brian42 said:

I agree but minus Virtanen  and 2020 1 and is Barrie still better?

I like JV. But we can sign Ferland in F/A (and I think it would make sense), and I think in adding Barrie and Hughes (plus not really losing anything significant from our team last year), we are a playoff team in this division/conference so that pick would be a mid/late first. 

19 minutes ago, ohmy said:

Or they'll both be fantastic like lil Tory Krug was. 

Yeah, Boston should go out and get 5 more just like him. No need for Chara. And they should also move out McAvoy and Carlo while they are at it. 

regards,  G.

30 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Can you truly say that Hughes is a star in such a small sample size? Not trying to be a naysayer, but the only star we have is EP40. He is projected to that, but so was Radek Bonk and Alex Daigle. We know what Barrie is and that is a bonafide 1-2 dman. 

No I can’t say he will but I do know it will be 10x harder for him to achieve that when another player in in-front of him taking the prime offensive starts. 

35 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Why are they trading a first round pick in a great draft year????

Exactly this. If Ottawa hands Colorado Byram and we hand them lafreniere......we should just all go line up at the firing range it would be so bad. Haha 

2 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

If we get Barrie I'm sure Stecher is gone and having 2 50+point offense Dman is a good thing as long as we compliment them with size and grit

Rather go for risto if we are going that route. At least he will kill somebody and is under contract.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ReggieBush said:

I like JV. But we can sign Ferland in F/A (and I think it would make sense), and I think in adding Barrie and Hughes (plus not really losing anything significant from our team last year), we are a playoff team in this division/conference so that pick would be a mid/late first. 

Yah it’s definitely debatable and the fact that Barrie plays the right side as opposed to Gardiner is definitely another factor.  Might be worried about the price tag on Ferland but every team would like a guy like that. 

Just now, Tomatoes11 said:

Exactly this. If Ottawa hands Colorado Byram and we hand them lafreniere......we should just all go line up at the firing range it would be so bad. Haha 

I don't get why people want to trade next year's pick. This year's draft is ass, Byram doesn't even go 8-15 last year nevermind next year.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FlyLow_ said:

Rather go for risto if we are going that route. At least he will kill somebody and is under contract.

So would I but maybe thats not in the cards, sometimes you have to take what you can get and I'd be extremely happy with Barrie

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Negative Nelly has spoken.

This team needs some more changes and I’m sure JB will continue to work on it. 

Nope. I'm Realistic Roger.

You believe that a defense where Edler is the most physical player (at 33 years old) would make it through a playoff round? Well......lemme show you this bridge over here.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And if the Canucks get into the playoffs, how will the defense hold up if the only off season acquisition was Barrie? Anyone remember the last time the Canucks were in the playoffs and how they fared?

Even getting into the playoffs we are going 2nd round max. And that seems like a stretch. There's a chance for 2020 to have depth like 2015 did.

Trading that pick away to save Benning's job is worst case scenario. (outside of the core 4) 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While I don't think it'll take fiver years before the Canucks get back into the playoffs, I agree that acquiring Barrie isn't ideal because of the age gap.

I'm not sure we'll even be a top contender with this core TBH. Hopefully, but man we have a really long way to go. STL drafted Edmunson/Binnington in 2011, Schwartz/Taranseko in 2010, Pietro in 2008, Parayko in 2012. Exc.

Trading top draft picks right now doesn't make sense, its never made sense under Benning, but they still do it anyways so.

Just now, Pears said:

How many people thought Colorado would make the playoffs and dominate Calgary? If you want to win, you gotta give up something to be able to do so. Raptors are a prime example this year. Gave up a star fan favourite for someone even better and look what happened. 

NBA is such a star driven league, its totally different in how teams are built. GS & Cleveland got there top 5 player in free agency. That doesn't happen in the NHL.

If you want to win, you have to build through the draft. Trading away picks for quick fixes will never get you anywhere. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

No I can’t say he will but I do know it will be 10x harder for him to achieve that when another player in in-front of him taking the prime offensive starts. 

They play different sides. I can almost guarantee there will be games (if we acquire Barrie) that we will have Petey, Brock, Quinn, and Barrie on the ice together. 

• Cheers 1

I just mentioned this in the other thread, the tweet says " a 2020 1st" not Canucks 2020 1st. JB could have another deal for another 2020 1st from a cap strapped team. Then the lower of the 2 goes to Col, also JB may be able to get Burakovsky from Washington for hopefully cheap. Who would essentially be Jake's replacement but a bit ahead.  

1 minute ago, Sbriggs said:

So would I but maybe thats not in the cards, sometimes you have to take what you can get and I'd be extremely happy with Barrie

On that note, I was at the NHL media event yesterday and were talking with the Buffalo social media team, and they think that for Risto to be moved, Bo would have to go the other way.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Nope. I'm Realistic Roger.

You believe that a defense where Edler is the most physical player (at 33 years old) would make it through a playoff round? Well......lemme show you this bridge over here.

As I mentioned earlier. The goal is to make the playoffs. Once in, anything can happen. You may have missed seeing what happened this post season....

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Yeah, you may be right. Do you think the Canucks could get Barrie for Hughes and Virtanen?

regards,  G.

Is that what I was suggesting G? Nope, so maybe don't put words in my mouth.