The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] PK Subban's name is out there

1 minute ago, Shekky said:

Tanev might be a good fit in there somewhere for a deal with Nashville.

Tanev is not the kind of D Nashville would have interest in.  They demand that their Ds be able to generate offence.  Poile insists that a 1st pass is not enough and Laviolette explains that in the o-zone there is no positional play.  They want Ds who can cycle the puck.  That's not Tanev.  

4 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

If the price was one of Hutton/Juolevi/Stecher/Tanev + 10th overall I would do it. Maybe include Virtanen (would rather keep him). But they would likely want Horvat in return in which case I would steer away. 

The thing is they would not want to take any cap back at all as they need to sign Josi for probably 9 million per year and want to go after Duchene.

So we would probably only need to trade a pick and a prospect or a very low paid player.

Just now, Shekky said:

Tanev might be a good fit in there somewhere for a deal with Nashville.

Ya, you could be right. Some of the proposals on here are outrageous. PK is coming off one of his worst seasons and makes $9M a year. There's still a market for him but no one is offering a top 10 pick. Tanev, B prospect and a mid round pick is probably enough to get it done IMO. We also have to remember that PK's brand hurts his value around the league. There will be teams that won't touch him because of what he represents.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Ya, you could be right. Some of the proposals on here are outrageous. PK is coming off one of his worst seasons and makes $9M a year. There's still a market for him but no one is offering a top 10 pick. Tanev, B prospect and a mid round pick is probably enough to get it done IMO. We also have to remember that PK's brand hurts his value around the league. There will be teams that won't touch him because of what he represents.

That is what I thought. But I tried to take my homer glasses off and based it off this article. I did miss it was a 2020 pick. I'd much rather do 2020 than 2019 but I wouldn't do 2020 with Tyler Madden over 2019 as Madden is outperforming some first rounders in his draft class. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 3.05.37 PM.png

• Haha 3
  • Wat 1

Stecher, Lind, 2nd round pick for Subban    (Nashville may not even want Stecher if they don't want to bring back any salary at all)

Tanev at 50%, 3rd round pick  for Zaitsev and Kapanen  (TO needs to shed salary, may need to throw Kap in for someone to take Zaitsev)

Edler  Subban

Hughes  Zaitsev

Much better than we have now. Not sure how realistic those proposals are lol.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

One article I read suggested Juolevi and Horvat :sick: I'd much rather give up the 10th overall than Horvat. 

For PK Subban?! Yikes. Maybe a couple years ago but not after posting his worst season since joining the league. I think Nashville is desperate to open up cap space and PK is as good as gone. But there's no way JB trades Bo or our 10th OA for him IMO.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

This is JBs guy.

My gut tells me he’s a Canuck by opening night. 

I mean, if JB is looking to make a splash at the draft, PK certainly is that. I think he's more of a win now kind of acquisition though and would prefer someone younger that could grow with our team. But if the price is right, I'd definitely be interested.

I would actually rather have PK than Barrie.

That being said I wouldn't offer much from him. How much value does he hold? He had a bad season but wasn't playing prime minutes (he is #3/4 on preds depth chart). 9M for 40 points is a lot but at the same time you could argue he would get more points with more opportunity. 3 years left on his deal is actually pretty perfect for the Canucks.

I would be willing to do some combination of:

Tanev (retained if necessary), Gaudette/Madden/Sutter, 2nd or 3rd (3rd if they choose Gaudette)

OR

10th OA + Tanev + Gaudette/Sutter/Madden <--> Subban + 24th

I wouldn't do much more than that for him though given his decr in production, age, and history of locker room issues.

8 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Stecher, Lind, 2nd round pick for Subban    (Nashville may not even want Stecher if they don't want to bring back any salary at all)

Tanev at 50%, 3rd round pick  for Zaitsev and Kapanen  (TO needs to shed salary, may need to throw Kap in for someone to take Zaitsev)

Edler  Subban

Hughes  Zaitsev

Much better than we have now. Not sure how realistic those proposals are lol.

So we help Toronto out by giving them a defenseman they need and for pennies retaining 50%... on top of that take on a terrible contract in zaitsev just for kapenen? Have you even watched any of zaitsev game last year? His hockey IQ is so bad and we are only stuck with it for 6 more years great deal 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Bob McKenzie is saying PK Subban's name is out there as Nashville wants to clear cap space for either UFA shopping (Duchene?) or Josi extension.

Would you all rather JB went for Subban over Barrie?

Josi has another year of term before any extension would kick in.

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

So we help Toronto out by giving them a defenseman they need and for pennies retaining 50%... on top of that take on a terrible contract in zaitsev just for kapenen? Have you even watched any of zaitsev game last year? His hockey IQ is so bad and we are only stuck with it for 6 more years great deal 

I did watch TO.  Actual hockey people say Zaitsev is a top 4 defense man regardless of what your opinion of him is. He is on a reasonable contract. Kapanen is a huge upgrade on our offence and would fit like a glove beside Pearson and Horvat.

You don't have to like my suggestion but don't try and state Zaitsev is garbage lol. 

Sources tell Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman that the Toronto Maple Leafs have at least investigated the possibility of whether there’s a trade to be made that would make sense for them given their cap situation. Obviously, anything the Leafs choose to pursue is dependent upon a resolution to Mitch Marner‘s contract negotiations.

The Vancouver Canucks – who first tried to acquire Subban at the 2016 draft when he was a member of the Montreal Canadiens – are also believed to be looking into his availability.

Edited by Kanukfanatic