The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Canucks plz get Podkolzin a skating coach ASAP.

has his skating ability declined? I hope Bo skating coach can help this kid.

im still a Podkolzin fan but Christ this kids skating is so awkward and standing still looks like he’s always off balance....maybe he just needs new skates.

1 hour ago, Dungass said:

Something to keep in mind as we watch the tourney.  2018 Casey Mittlestadt was top forward, Petey had a mostly disappointing tournament.  He scored one highlight reel goal, but most of his points came against Switzerland and another weak opponent, on the PP.  2019, Hughes didn't hugely didn't dominate the tournament as some expected, instead Poehling stole the show.  2020, both Mittlestadt and Poehling have spent time in the minors and Petey and Hughes are stars in the NHL.  The world juniors are only a snapshot of a player's development. 

As I was about to point out. All of our high profile players currently on the team: EP, QH, Brock and Bo all have very average or not so impressive WJC. I remember guys like Hogdson, Schroeder and Forsling dominated the tournament and where are they now? I am secretly hoping our guys once again have a low-key WJC because of the recent memories.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Here’s his last game. #11.

Canucks plz help this kid learn how to skate.

His skating isn't elite, but I don't see it as below average either.  His stride could use some work, so there's room to improve.  I am really impressed with his passing ability and he seems to have pretty good hockey sense.

I do wish he could come to NA next season, as I don't have a lot of faith in his development in Russia.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

As I was about to point out. All of our high profile players currently on the team: EP, QH, Brock and Bo all have very average or not so impressive WJC. I remember guys like Hogdson, Schroeder and Forsling dominated the tournament and where are they now? I am secretly hoping our guys once again have a low-key WJC because of the recent memories.

Not sure I would call Petey's 5 goals and 2 assists in 7 games games average or not impressive at the WJC.  Actually cannot say much has been average about Petey at all.  

If Hogs or Pods can develop into a winger for Petey or Bo I have no complaints at all.  

Really looking like three scoring lines on this team is going to be a reality.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

His skating isn't elite, but I don't see it as below average either.  His stride could use some work, so there's room to improve.  I am really impressed with his passing ability and he seems to have pretty good hockey sense.

I do wish he could come to NA next season, as I don't have a lot of faith in his development in Russia.

It's just awkward looking. Considering how ugly it looks he seems to have solid edgework, acceleration and top end speed so to me it doesn't look like something that will hold him back. 

Looks a lot like Gaudette the way he moves and skates. Not pretty but gets the job done

40 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Here’s his last game. #11.

Canucks plz help this kid learn how to skate.....if you can’t find him, just look for the most awkward skating forward on the white team

His skating looks funky for sure, but he did not have speed issues. He was outskating or keeping up with everyone. It could use work but I think you are overreacting a bit. Speed wise I think he is fine. If prettying up his stride is the biggest thing you got so far I'd say he's doing pretty good.

13 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Not sure I would call Petey's 5 goals and 2 assists in 7 games games average or not impressive at the WJC.  Actually cannot say much has been average about Petey at all.  

If Hogs or Pods can develop into a winger for Petey or Bo I have no complaints at all.  

Let's say these numbers are average for EP's standards. He was over a point per game in a men's league that season. Since he was playing against kids his age, we would expect him to be 1.5-2.0 points per game. Also, majority of his points were on the powerplay and he finished the tournament with -1 on a stacked team. Although, I put this more on coaching than anything. EP would only be with quality players on the PP but on a line with plugs even strength.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

His skating looks funky for sure, but he did not have speed issues. He was outskating or keeping up with everyone. It could use work but I think you are overreacting a bit. Speed wise I think he is fine. If prettying up his stride is the biggest thing you got so far I'd say he's doing pretty good.

I didn't see anything wrong with Podz' skating ability........hes very strong on his skates and he moves pretty fast when he gets going.  Ir certaonly doesn't seem like anything to fret over.  To me, it looks like he's likely to have a solid NHL career.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I didn't see anything wrong with Podz' skating ability........hes very strong on his skates and he moves pretty fast when he gets going.  Ir certaonly doesn't seem like anything to fret over.  To me, it looks like he's likely to have a solid NHL career.

I mean, from the first like 3 clips I seen it looks a tad weird, but then again I never actually watch a player specifically to watch them skate. Lol. I was mostly looking for whether or not other players are smoking him, which was not the case. His speed was really the only thing I was focusing on when watching the clip and he looked more than fine.

39 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

In his 18yr old WJ he had 1a in 6 games.:(  You're referring to his 19yr old WJ, where he was tied with Lias Andersson for pointsB)

39 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Yeah.  There is a good chance that one or both will become top 6 players.

39 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

In his 18yr old WJ he had 1a in 6 games.:(  You're referring to his 19yr old WJ, where he was tied with Lias Andersson for pointsB)

Yeah.  There is a good chance that one or both will become top 6 players.

we're almost at the point where we are talking about a "top 9" offensive attack, rather than a top 6.  The game seems to be moving back to a more 80's model of three scoring lines and I think the Canucks are ahead of that curve.  Hog and Pod will be a big part of that shift.

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

While I do agree the skating looks a lot more forced than a player like Hoglander, it really seems like Podkolzins hockey sense and passing are pretty incredible.  It didn’t matter whether the teammate was moving or not Podkolzin put the pass right on the tape every single time.  Skating is way easier to improve than passing and hockey sense and he’s got both of those.  It’s hard to judge his shot here but he did get a goal so there’s that.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

You have to remember as well, Podkolzin was only 17 at the draft. Three days later he turned 18. 

He's playing against men in the KHL and the VHL. He's a hardworking kid who wants to be the best defensive Russian player, so he's not lacking in ambition to improve his game in all areas, including his skating. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

For the love of Gaud, someone tell Nils to take it easy then!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TGT68 said:

Considering the way he was ripping up the SHL at the time, that he finished outside of the top ten in scoring, and his team went all the way to the final, yes, I think it was a bit of a disappointment.  I recall Sabres fans rubbing their hands with glee that Mittelstadt was the superior player.  LOL.