The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

He's been pretty ineffective in this tournament, though his play has been solid.  I wouldn't say his play hasn't been anything to get excited about or be down on.  I do think the coach and players don't utilize him very well.......he's the best passer on the team, imo, and they never get him the puck on the pp.  I'd be getting him the puck as much as possible if I were them.

He’s like the hardest working player on every shift but it’s like he’s trying to do to much on some plays and gets sloppy. I think maybe that’s when his skating goes all haywire, makes the extra pass or gets outta position. If he was just to slow his game down a bit and tighten up his stride I think he could really succeed 

• Cheers 1

Whoa. Pods not on the ice with the net empty and the US down a man thanks to a (dubious) penalty.

Larianov, on deciding with this late game deployment, is obviously seeing what many of us Pod fans are. He has been somewhat disappointing. I expected him to be a force in this tournament. 

As a fan I’m a bit bummed...but I’m more bummed for the kid. Knowing what we do about him it may very well light a fire in him to improve aspects of his game. For one, his skating, especially lateral quickness,  needs work. You can clearly see his “want to” out there...but too often he doesn’t seem to “get to” where he wants to be.

Edited by Locke Lamora

1 minute ago, Locke Lamora said:

Whoa. Pods not on the ice with the net empty and the US down a man thanks to a (dubious) penalty.

Larianov, on deciding with this late game deployment, is obviously seeing what many of us Pod fans are. He has been somewhat disappointing. I expected him to be a force in this tournament. 

As a fan I’m a bit bummed...but I’m more bummed for the kid. Knowing what we do about him it may very well light a fire in him to improve aspects of his game. For one, his skating, especially lateral quickness,  needs work. You can clearly see his “want to” out there...but too often he doesn’t seem to “get to” where he wants to be.

panic omg GIF

I'm disappointed in the way he's used, not in his play.  Let's not forget hes closer to 18 than he is to 19

• Cheers 1

Are people going to be disappointed if he ends up playing in the AHL for a year?  I like him but I am concerned a little about his lack of offense.  I know others have said that it isn't important right now but I disagree.  It is still part of the picture along with other things used to evaluate a Prospect.  He seems a little out of control when he turns up his motor.  Perhaps slowing things down a little might help him (as some others have suggested).  

1 hour ago, stawns said:

He's been pretty ineffective in this tournament, though his play has been solid.  I wouldn't say his play hasn't been anything to get excited about or be down on.  I do think the coach and players don't utilize him very well.......he's the best passer on the team, imo, and they never get him the puck on the pp.  I'd be getting him the puck as much as possible if I were them.

Craig MacTavish's op-ed on his experience in Russia and the types of systems they play helps highlight why Podz has been relatively ineffective at the junior stage and in the KHL. They basically play hail mary for 60 minutes. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Ya. And that could be because of his stance and base being off at times. Almost an awkwardness to his skating at times. Don't get me wrong as I think Pods oozes potential. I stick to what I've said in that he is still a raw talent and he reminds me of a young Burr. Burr worked his tail off and with high end coaching he improved to what he became. From all indications Pods has that drive in him as well. Can't wait to get him to North America. 

Burr is a good comparison for Pod, an elite complementary player that won't be a driver of a line but can go get the puck and get it to someone who can do something with it. 

He definitely needs to learn how to protect the puck better and hold onto it longer when appropriate. He tends to unload the puck almost immediately after getting it. Sometimes it works out great but just as often its a pass to nowhere for a turnover. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Burr is a good comparison for Pod, an elite complementary player that won't be a driver of a line but can go get the puck and get it to someone who can do something with it. 

He definitely needs to learn how to protect the puck better and hold onto it longer when appropriate. He tends to unload the puck almost immediately after getting it. Sometimes it works out great but just as often its a pass to nowhere for a turnover. 

I actually think he is a driver of the play, he just likely won't be the finisher........which is what most players who push the play need, a finisher.  He's got excellent vision, he's strong on his skates and he's clearly got elite passing skills, he just doesn't seem to put the puck in the net.

He might actually be a good fit with Boes......Podz excels in the dirty areas, which boes' needs and Boes does well shooting from the perimeter, which Podz needs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

He definitely needs to learn how to protect the puck better and hold onto it longer when appropriate.

I don't see that at all.  He's a N/S skater that caries the puck into the offensive zone; usually weaving around a few players.

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

He tends to unload the puck almost immediately after getting it. Sometimes it works out great but just as often its a pass to nowhere for a turnover. 

I don't see that either.  He's a terrific passer and usually sends the puck tape to tape to his linemate.  Other that his compete level, I find his skating with the puck and passing are his greatest assets. 

• Upvote 1

Is podkolzin the next nichushkin both highly rated in there draft year and Most people thought nichushkin was the next malkin. 

Podkolzins development has been stumped with his deployment by his club team with getting zero ice time in the khl and gets bounced around there minor teams without getting any chemistry or time to find his game. 
has not looked good in the world juniors. Wasn’t on the ice at the end of the USA game. If anyone saw the timeout in the last minute podz was on the ice larionov drew up a play and he got pulled off the ice. 
I think the best thing for his career is for jb and aquilini seeing how much it’ll cost to buy out his contract from Russia. 

• Wat 1

Yeah his deployment has been interesting to say the least. By all accounts, it doesn't strike me as if he's played bad or anything. Sure, he's not an offensive dynamo like Grigori Denisenko, but oh well... I realize it's super easy to google search a player's stats and you get precisely what you're looking for, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Far from it.

Podkolzin is one of those rare bonafide top-6 power forward/utility type of guys. He'd certainly fit well into our system along with players like Petey, Boeser and Miller, that's for sure.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

4 minutes ago, Bure1010 said:

Is podkolzin the next nichushkin both highly rated in there draft year and Most people thought nichushkin was the next malkin. 

Podkolzins development has been stumped with his deployment by his club team with getting zero ice time in the khl and gets bounced around there minor teams without getting any chemistry or time to find his game. 
has not looked good in the world juniors. Wasn’t on the ice at the end of the USA game. If anyone saw the timeout in the last minute podz was on the ice larionov drew up a play and he got pulled off the ice. 
I think the best thing for his career is for jb and aquilini seeing how much it’ll cost to buy out his contract from Russia. 

Nichuskin is lazy and uninterested in doing the hard things. Also terrible defensively. All he could do was drive the net. 

While pod may not put up slam dunk numbers, he'll always bring energy and provide value to any team. 

High ceiling.

1 minute ago, AV's Coin said:

I dont agree. Has constantly set up team mates for open looks. Looks to be the most competitive player on Russia. At the end of the game against USA during a PK he was all over the ice and diving through the air trying to block shots.

I watched 80% of the Russian series in Canada and all games at Worlds so far. Pod is a team player and plays both sides of the ice.

Like Weisbrod said, next to guys like Petey and Brock, you need guys like him to win.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

He doesn't have an "A" on his sweater because his name is Arturs or Anton. Its there because his coaches value his leadership qualities

• Haha 3

What can Podkolzin+ Rafferty+Lind get us?

i think we need a shut down top pairing d man and a sure fire top 6 winger 

Pearson+ Lind+ Rafferty for...

IMO JB needs a trade he can hang his hat on

nonis had the Luongo trade 

Burke had the sedin trade 

gillis had the ethos trade 

Quinn had Nazy, McLean/Adams, and the two St Louis trades 

Keenan had the bertuzzi for linden trade...!?!

i bet JB is sitting there thinking he needs a Ryan O’reilly type trade - that trade won them the cup- a culture carrier