The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

12 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I thought he was 6'4??? lol!

Every official source has him listed at 6'1". In this year's team photo, he's beside Pearson, who's also listed at 6'1" and Podz seems like he's about the same height, maybe .5 inches taller. I'd say he's 6'2" at most.

Podz will be the breakout player on this team this year.  I don't expect him to force a spot on the big team out of the gates, for game one of the season.  But he'll get his chance, before Christmas and he won't look back.  Watch... He's a beast... And about to take the league by storm!!!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Every official source has him listed at 6'1". In this year's team photo, he's beside Pearson, who's also listed at 6'1" and Podz seems like he's about the same height, maybe .5 inches taller. I'd say he's 6'2" at most.

I was referring to all the comments prior to him coming to the team, everyone, he's 6'2, no he's standing beside so and so so he must be at least 6'3. It was a dialogue for months.

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

I was referring to all the comments prior to him coming to the team, everyone, he's 6'2, no he's standing beside so and so so he must be at least 6'3. It was a dialogue for months.

Ah yeah.

Podz is big and tenacious.

he hit a Sophmore slump at the same time as the team tanked.

then got hurt down the stretch and isn’t that when we won a ton of games that didn’t mean anything?

I would love to see Podz move to Center.

he has the playmaking skill, the passing and plays a game that is meant to create chances for his line mates.

He doesn’t shot enough as a winger IMO and why not try it with a player who has the ‘Professor’ on speed dial?

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2023 at 3:37 AM, Phat Fingers said:

Podz is big and tenacious.

he hit a Sophmore slump at the same time as the team tanked.

then got hurt down the stretch and isn’t that when we won a ton of games that didn’t mean anything?

I would love to see Podz move to Center.

he has the playmaking skill, the passing and plays a game that is meant to create chances for his line mates.

He doesn’t shot enough as a winger IMO and why not try it with a player who has the ‘Professor’ on speed dial?

As much as I would love to see Podz used at center, he also provides something that only Joshua and Mikheyev bring on the wings is a heaviness and ability to win puck battles. Knowing Tocchet's style, they will do everything to help him hone in on those skills to be an effective board battling winger.

Moving him to center when he already lacks confidence to be a consistent winger would only be detrimental to his development. 

After how free agency panned out, I'd love to see him on the new third line with Blueger and probably Garland (or Joshua if they want to do a shutdown line).

Garland - Blueger - Podkolzin = counterattacking line with speed that can do some damage, the wingers can be shoot and pass, Teddy's a good playmaker
Joshua - Bueger - Podkolzin = big, speedy, physical two-way 3rd line with some finish too

Practically speaking, I don't think he should be any lower in the lineup than this, for his own development (would like to say the same for Hoglander but his lower draft pedigree might not afford him that luxury).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

As much as I would love to see Podz used at center, he also provides something that only Joshua and Mikheyev bring on the wings is a heaviness and ability to win puck battles. Knowing Tocchet's style, they will do everything to help him hone in on those skills to be an effective board battling winger.

Moving him to center when he already lacks confidence to be a consistent winger would only be detrimental to his development. 

I didn’t think of it as a confidence killer, but more of a confidence booster.

But the psychological aspect of the Hockey player is different than the Rugby Player.

I do like his size and mobility on the wing, and think the log jam at wing might make an adaptable player who plays with a awareness of the defensive side of play and passing skills could be more effective, and in demand than a winger with a team short on NHL capable centers,but too many forwards.

It has to be more complex than taken draws, that’s pretty straightforward and has to be easier than converting to defence, so if Podz is looking for an advantage and a edge, start taking draws…?  

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

After how free agency panned out, I'd love to see him on the new third line with Blueger and probably Garland (or Joshua if they want to do a shutdown line).

Garland - Blueger - Podkolzin = counterattacking line with speed that can do some damage, the wingers can be shoot and pass, Teddy's a good playmaker
Joshua - Bueger - Podkolzin = big, speedy, physical two-way 3rd line with some finish too

Practically speaking, I don't think he should be any lower in the lineup than this, for his own development (would like to say the same for Hoglander but his lower draft pedigree might not afford him that luxury).

I like this and Garland needs to be moved, as we have a near equal but cheaper player fin Hoglander,

We need to think long term and with the preseason as the real test, and the inevitable injuries and roster shuffles, Garland should be moveable.

Even if we lose on the deal, I would take a 7th and give up a 3rd to move that contract. 

2 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Even if we lose on the deal, I would take a 7th and give up a 3rd to move that contract. 

John Candy No GIF by Laff

Hold your horses!!!

Maybe a 4th... Maybe.  Otherwise it would be a bad move.  See how camp goes see who goes on ltir.  Go from there.

• Vintage 1

17 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I agree.  A 3rd line of Joshua   Blueger   Podkolzin is probably what Tocchet is looking for.  I was actually thinking the Canucks should try and get Trent Frederic to play that role, not sure Boston can afford to keep him.  But Joshua could work as well as Tocchet was playing him higher up in the lineup last year.

If this is our 3rd line, then Garloand would need to be moved to the 2nd line, so either him or Beauvillier would need to be moved.  I am sure there are more moves that are going to be made this summer, I can't see us going into this season with this roster and with this many wingers.  There currently isn't a fit for Hoglander unless Tocchet plays him on the 4th line, so they need to make a decision on him as well...

59 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

I didn’t think of it as a confidence killer, but more of a confidence booster.

But the psychological aspect of the Hockey player is different than the Rugby Player.

I do like his size and mobility on the wing, and think the log jam at wing might make an adaptable player who plays with a awareness of the defensive side of play and passing skills could be more effective, and in demand than a winger with a team short on NHL capable centers,but too many forwards.

It has to be more complex than taken draws, that’s pretty straightforward and has to be easier than converting to defence, so if Podz is looking for an advantage and a edge, start taking draws…?  

Definitely can see it as a move that entrusts and engenders faith in Podkolzin could very well be a confidence boost.

I heard over the radio and reading Ben Kuzma's breakdown of Podkolzin's season was that he was feeling low in confidence. He seems to be a player that needs the confidence in order to play with the courage and gumption we saw from him in the latter half of his rookie season. I think right now you want Podz to think less about his game...and play on confidence and instinct. I think putting at center and very unfamiliar position will make him get in his own head about things. 

I agree with you, his defensive awareness, vision, and IQ how to use his stick in all three zones makes him a strong candidate to be a center, but I think it may just be a step too early for that development right now. Definitely agree though, being able to add faceoff ability despite being a winger would be great, reminds me a lot of Boeser when he would take faceoffs for North Dakota on his strongside on the powerplay. He was strong, had a flat blade, and seemed to win more on the strongside made him a dual threat. Podkolzin could certainly diversify his repertoire for sure. I ultimately think the strengths that he possesses such as courage, brute strength, relentlessness, and stick placement smarts make him more ideal as a winger under Tocchet's system. 

I'd like to see him bumped all the way up to the first line.

Probably Mikheyev will go back there, but I think Mikheyev would be better suited to the 2nd line where Boeser can be the beneficiary of his speed, forecheck and board work.

On the top line, Pettersson and Kuzmenko will score enough that Podz can help on the forecheck and grow his confidence as  stuff starts bouncing off of him into the net.

Third line could even be Beauvilleur Bleuger/Raty Garland. Get a line going with some forecheck that will actually lead to some goals rather than just "bringing energy" and being hard to play against.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

6 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I like this and Garland needs to be moved, as we have a near equal but cheaper player fin Hoglander,

We need to think long term and with the preseason as the real test, and the inevitable injuries and roster shuffles, Garland should be moveable.

Not sure if management would, could see them have a sunk cost fallacy in mind ("we traded a 1st for him since it was our other 3 guys for OEL, now if we dump him for low assets it'd be a loss").