The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

7 hours ago, saucypass said:

We have a good leadership group brewing here. Need to surround these guys and cement the back end. 

Agreed. I'm excited to see what transpires next year regarding NCAA acquisitions, draft picks, trades, and the free agent frenzy. Though I'm guessing the latter won't be a factor with our roster. I'd be surprised if we acquired a top 5 UFA or RFA. Ain't gonna happen me thinks......But ya' never know. It's a fickle business to be sure!

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2023 at 11:13 PM, Yan86 said:

why isn't podz playing for abby playoffs?

Allvin said that Podkolzin saw a medical doctor on Monday - waiting for him to be medically cleared before he is sent down.

Tocchet a few weeks ago said that Podkolzin's hand wasn't healing as quick as they hoped.

• Thanks 1

Sadly I don't see where Podkolzin fits. He seems unlikely to play special teams so far and so you start to think of him as a vanilla type of player. He has 1 year left on his ELC before he becomes a RFA. So it might be better to move hm under those condition than weight for his salary to go up. There's a surplus of wingers who need to be moved, maybe he's one of them

• Wat 1
  • There it is 1

33 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Sadly I don't see where Podkolzin fits. He seems unlikely to play special teams so far and so you start to think of him as a vanilla type of player. He has 1 year left on his ELC before he becomes a RFA. So it might be better to move hm under those condition than weight for his salary to go up. There's a surplus of wingers who need to be moved, maybe he's one of them

Next Kravtsov?  I think there's room for internal competition for the middle 6 wing spots.

Leading top-6 candidates: Kuzmenko (great rookie season)/ Mikheyev (injured but they clearly liked him, otherwise wouldn't have signed him with NTC)/ Beauvillier (did have 3rd line time but he did well next to Petey)

Other guys they'd want to recoup value OR trade: Boeser/ Garland (had decent seasons but viewed as expensive due to salary cap size)
In the mix for 3rd line: Pearson (possibly retiring?), ELCs (Podkolzin, McDonough, Hoglander, Kravtsov), farmhands who did well (Dries, Di Giuseppe)
4th liner: Joshua, Studnicka?
Sleepers: Klimovich/ Karlsson/ Lekkerimaki? 

Hopefully he can distinguish himself from the pack and be a strong two-way wing so he'd be worth his first round draft pedigree and contribute at least in his own end.  If his play becomes consistent I'd be open to some show-me deal to give him time to lock down a 3rd line wing spot, with possible promotion.

Am I the only one that thinks he would make a good center? Strong, defensively conscious, high work rate. I can't remember but didn't he play some center in junior leagues before being drafted?

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...

Big off-season for Podz, he's a former top 10 pick, should be in the NHL next year. Caufield and Boldy were taken right after him, gives shades of Nylander and Ehlers vs Virtanen but Podkolzin is a slow burner and has time to turn it around. There were a fair few misses in his draft but hopefully he becomes a solid scorer for us, those others are already shredding the league.

We've got to make room for him, trade an expensive winger and let Podkolzin and Hoglander get in our middle 6.

I'm expecting 20 goals and 40-50 points from Podkolzin next year, I think he's primed for a break out and will steal minutes from PDG on the 2nd line, he's got too much skill and size to just wither away in the AHL.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 4/27/2023 at 1:14 PM, Angry Goose said:

Despite Podz not getting much production, I think having Tocchett will get this guy headed in the right direction.  Points will come (he’s got skills) but just needs to focus on being that “moose” like Tocc wants. 

I really like Podkolzin 21- 6'1--205 --Plays solid game just can't find the net.. Patient bright future..

GP 75-- G 20--23-- PTS 45--50 ---

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wildcam said:

I really like Podkolzin 21- 6'1--205 --Plays solid game just can't find the net.. Patient bright future..

GP 75-- G 20--23-- PTS 45--50 ---

yeah im not as worried about points as I am with how he can impact the game without production.  If he able to keep improving his forecheck, ability to disrupt plays, pressure etc. I think his points will eventually come.  

Puck battles, puck pressure are the Canucks biggest weakness imo.  Once that improves I see a much better team on the horizon.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 9:56 AM, SilentSam said:

^^ seems to me his skating coordination is getting as strong as his strength ..

im expecting to see his power and speed keep him with the main club and bump another player.

Would like to see big Podkolzin on 3rd line..

1.Mikheyev -  Petey -- Kuzmenko

2. Di Giuseppe  - Miller - Boeser    ---- Garland on 2nd line if not traded

3. Beauvillier  _____ -- Podkolzin ---- Hoglander for sure top 9...Speed and natural skill only 22...sign 1yr X 900,000 1 way

4. Joshua -- Aman -- Studnicka--- Could try and sign big gritty winger that can skate like Joshua, hard to find under 1.1 million.

• Like 1

If he can pull his game together he sounds like a player lab made to play on EP’s wing. Strong puck pursuit and forecheck, puck hound, good passer, good vision, heavy shot and big. 
If he is ready for that role the rest of the top 6 slides together better. Mik can play with Brock and JTM.

Our bottom six looks rough though as need to find spots for the 3 smurfs of Beau. Garland and Hogz and we don’t have a centre for the group.  We need to move 2 little wingers badly. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1