The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

1 minute ago, apollo said:

I'd love to see where Nils was on Jims initial list.... I think it's a great pick. Really glad he didn't trade it away. 

In his interview after the draft, JB said he felt Hoglander was a first round talent that has a good chance to play here next season.  That’s ehy I’m wondering if JB actually preferred to have the first in a year or two.  The more players we have pushing for spots this year and next the better. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

In his interview after the draft, JB said he felt Hoglander was a first round talent that has a good chance to play here next season.  That’s ehy I’m wondering if JB actually preferred to have the first in a year or two.  The more players we have pushing for spots this year and next the better. 

Good stuff from Jim. This is how you get the best out of young players. You speak highly of them and build their confidence. 

Long live future dynasty architect, Jim Benning. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Not a chance. 

Not while assembling a primary core would I offer a pillar of it essentially for a transition piece who is approaching the wrong side of the modern age-bell curve.

Guddy was example enough of that kind of rebuild strategy’s brilliance and why the prospect pool is shallow enough to force the GM to outsource help at this stage of a rebuild. 

Not fair to compare Guddy and JT Miller imo.

Miller is universally seen as a very good top end forward is all facets of the game.

Even when we traded for Guddy there were lots of outspoken people who believed he was a relic of the past. There was also the other side who thought it was an ok trade.

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

Not fair to compare Guddy and JT Miller imo.

Miller is universally seen as a very good top end forward is all facets of the game.

Even when we traded for Guddy there were lots of outspoken people who believed he was a relic of the past. There was also the other side who thought it was an ok trade.

I’m not comparing players, only strategies. 

I thought I had made that clear enough by adding all that extra context in. 

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’m not comparing players, only strategies. 

I thought I had made that clear enough by adding all that extra context in. 

But you compared them. ::D

Edit: the strategy is not the same if one player is mediocre and the other seen as a very strong skilled NHLer.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

33 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Just a question.

How many people would have traded Podkolzin (or whoever you preferred at 10th OA) for Miller?

Not me, but only because that means the trade for Miller would've been done a year or two ago when we didn't need him, as we weren't about to break out back then and still needed to acquire core pieces. Now that we have our core pieces and have improved to the point of being really close to making the post season, the trade was made, and I applaud it. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, rekker said:

In the end I think the team is leaving its draft lottery days in the dust.

Not until the IR mainstays are moved, IMO, but yes, JB is definitely not in Rebuild mode. 

Any more top-7 draft picks won’t be counted as silver linings. 

Unfortunately for me, he is going for it a little sooner than I was hoping for. I’ve changed my tune since the TDL on the rebuild and realize he has to run with what he has because of the shallow pool not being ready during this window. 

Buy, trade, whatever. The rebuild is officially over and the insulation phase begins. Miller is a great insulator. Christian Fischer would be another. Then they could accommodate an old and slow Perry. The D, that will take a full page of typing...

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Not until the IR mainstays are moved, IMO, but yes, JB is definitely not in Rebuild mode. 

Unfortunately for me, he is going for it a little sooner than I was hoping for. I’ve changed my tune since the TDL on the rebuild and realize he has to run with what he has because of the shallow pool not being ready during this window. 

Buy, trade, whatever. The rebuild is officially over and the insulation phase begins. Miller is a great insulator. Christian Fischer would be another. Then they could accommodate an old and slow Perry. The D, that will take a full page of typing...

Christian Fischer - had never heard of him. On Arizona, 6'2" 214, only 18 points in 71 games this year. Sounds like Virtanen but not as many points. Not sure where he would fit.

I want nothing to do with Perry......yuck :sick:

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

See, here's what I'm wondering, and I just posted essentially this, in another thread.

If Miller was a RFA, and we were to sign him to an offer sheet, I think most fans and probably most sports writers would have been pretty good with it.

According to Capfriendly, the compensation for signing someone in the 5 million range is a 1st and a 3rd. Add in a contract dump to balance out the contract numbers and isn't that strange, that a 1st and a 3rd is EXACTLY what it cost us? Established market value for a 5.25 million, top 6 forward.

Fair value

Added value - that 1st could be two years away instead of one. ::D

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I'm holding out hope the D will have a different look next year. 

Part of the reason that I don’t like the trade is that is reminiscent of another trade in Canuck history.

When Cam Neely was traded to Boston for Barry Pedersen a first round pick was also included. It was Boston’s choice whether to take the pick that year (7th overall) or the following year.  Canuck nation was happy that Boston chose to wait because they knew that with the addition of Pedersen the Canucks would finish much higher in the standings than the previous year and the pick would not be as valuable.

Instead the Canucks used their pick to select Dan Woodley who would play five career NHL games. Boston used the Canuck’s pick (which ended up being 3rd overall) the following year to select Glen Wesley who would play nearly 1500 career games.

Not saying the same scenario will play out this time but I’m reading the same arguments from some fans that the pick is bound to be a low one in the next two years and history says it might not be.

3 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

Part of the reason that I don’t like the trade is that is reminiscent of another trade in Canuck history.

When Cam Neely was traded to Boston for Barry Pedersen a first round pick was also included. It was Boston’s choice whether to take the pick that year (7th overall) or the following year.  Canuck nation was happy that Boston chose to wait because they knew that with the addition of Pedersen the Canucks would finish much higher in the standings than the previous year and the pick would not be as valuable.

Instead the Canucks used their pick to select Dan Woodley who would play five career NHL games. Boston used the Canuck’s pick (which ended up being 3rd overall) the following year to select Glen Wesley who would play nearly 1500 career games.

Not saying the same scenario will play out this time but I’m reading the same arguments from some fans that the pick is bound to be a low one in the next two years and history says it might not be.

The difference is that team was an aging team on the decline, while this one is a younger up and coming team. I'm not worried about the pick.

• Upvote 1