The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Yost is an idiot lmao.

Absolutely.

He can't help himself - he consistently makes some of the most outspoken - and  laughable -  trade calls in the business, and then slinks under cover when the dust settles (the last time I looked a number of his former articles appear to be no longer posted?).

The perfect example of analytics only being as good as the analyst - and the analyst is way too impressed with himself, therefore the quality of his pseudo 'analytics' take a hit because his ego is more prominent than the work.   Always trying too hard, never failing to outsmart himself.

I've read and engaged a number of his weak attempts in the past - can't be even  bothered to read his take on Miller - but if I were guessing I'd wager that it no doubt contains a handful of the most useless  - and hipster - pseudo 'metrics'.  Zero interest in his take on Miller.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Imagine if we acquired another 1st for 2020 instead of giving one up. How many people would believe our core is ready then? Does Miller really move the needle that much for people?

combined with a UFA or two?  Absolutely.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

If we were back in 2011 I would have done it in a heartbeat as a player like JT Miller could have put us over the top for the cup. Back then we never could properly get a couple extra top 6 players to get us over the top.

You mean like when we traded for a 26 year old power forward who also averaged 20+ goal, 49 point pace seasons by the name of David booth?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

But we haven't had a mid/late first in 5 years. So hopefully we get one in the next 2.

We can only have mid- late pick in year 2 under 1 scenario

If Vancouver's pick in 2020 is 17th or later, then it belongs to Tampa, cos it means we have made the playoffs.

If we miss the 2020 playoffs, we keep that pick, and it will be a lottery pick,

Tampa then gets our 2nd year pick (which may be a mid to late pick, if we make the playoffs, or may be a lottery pick, if we don't make the playoffs).

So the only scenario that gets us a mid-late pick (and only is valid for 2021) is for us to make the playoffs both years (and I would be delighted with that!)

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Capt.Awesome said:

I'm not comparing the two, but Brendan Morrisons best years were age 26-31 (01/02-06/07)... Those years made him what he was, so its possible to hit your stride and kill it. Enjoy the ride. 

One of my all time favourite Canucks

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Imagine if we acquired another 1st for 2020 instead of giving one up. How many people would believe our core is ready then? Does Miller really move the needle that much for people?

I was pretty upset that Carolina got that first from Toronto for buying out Marleau instead of us. But the fact that Jim wasn't interested is proof to me that he intends to use that cap space on something else.

He says he would like to add a dman and is still interested in adding another top 6 forward. With the cap going down I think this is the perfect storm for us and our cap space.

We missed the playoffs by 9 points last year. Add a couple 20 goal scorers and a solid DMan and we are in.

• Cheers 1

Just now, coryberg said:

He says he would like to add a dman and is still interested in adding another top 6 forward.

Thought I only heard him say he wanted to add "at least one defenceman"?  If another top-6 that would explain interest in Nyquist; perhaps Baertschi is near-done or heading to LTIR?

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

Of course they are. They're gambling on a better first rounder than they could have got immediately.

Well how do you know that they had a first rounder they could've gotten immediately??

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

How so? Because they're up against the cap? So what. This wasn't a player not living up to his contract or having an ntc to limit trade partners. This was a player that has grit, can play any forward position, and on a reasonable deal for another four years. Any team could make an offer on this player that was well worth his 15th overall draft position. Why wouldn't any team offer fair value for him? As a GM in need of a top six multi-purpose forward would you let another GM get him for peanuts because Tampa is cap strapped? That's plain stupid. You only get bent over when the player isn't worth his cap or limits trade your partners.

I should've added 1st "from a non playoff team". And yes because they were up against a cap wall. And Its not just up against a cap wall, JT Miller's NTC was just about to kick in too. For them to make this move before that complicated matters is huge. 

Not only did they get the salary relief they desperately needed, they got a premium in return.  They didn't have to give up any value on Miller in a move they needed to make. Thats absolutely a home-run.

Like we're talking about a mid/late first being fair value from our end, and fair enough. From the Tampa Bay side that's worst case scenario. There's still another side to it where this pick could be much better than just fair value. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

They didn't have to give up any value on Miller in a move they needed to make. Thats absolutely a home-run.

Miller hasn't "any value"?  They didn't get a 1st this year, not necessarily next, but maybe two years from now.  That is significantly reduced value compared to the same return at the TDL, for a top-6 player in his prime on a good contract.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1