The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Okay, public retraction of that connotation, but not for pushing back against the insufferable conformism you're trying to impose on this discussion. 

Please. 

Miniature violins.

You're reminding me of a Monty Python segment.  "Help, I'm being repressed!":lol:  (no love lost for authoritarain monarchist 'pricks' either (oops, is prick 'sexist'?)

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

CDC and meltdowns is the status quo, no? 

No one wants to give up a 1st rdr but the deal answers a need. Gaining some size on the LW was a big need. Baer's future healthwise is one hit away IMHO. The d-core does need help as well so I do not think Benning is thru. IMO Vancouver will have at least 2 rookie 'd'in the lineup with Hughes and Joulevi. Maybe a UFA signing or hopefully a trade pf Tanev with a solid return. 

IMHO the core is here and the fine tuning begins as the core evolves. 

Hopefully we can ship out Tanev and replace him with a bonafide top 4 D-man. I just thought that's what we would've used a 1st on 

• Like 1

I think this could be great:

MILLER - PETTERSSON - BOESER

PEARSON - HORVAT - PULJUJARVI

LUCIC - GAUDETTE - VIRTANEN

LEIVO - BEAGLE - ROUSSELL

EDLER - MYERS

SCHENN - HUGHES

JUOLEVI - STETCHER

MARKSTROM

DEMKO

Edited by Me_

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I think this could be great:

PEARSON - HORVAT - MILLER

PULJUJARVI - PETTERSSON - BOESER

LUCIC - GAUDETTE - VIRTANEN

LEIVO - BEAGLE - ROUSSELL

EDLER - MYERS

SCHENN - HUGHES

JUOLEVI - STETCHER

MARKSTROM

DEMKO

Green'er says he think Miller would look good next to Petey and Boeser. That all can change tho as we know.

Loving the lineup heading into next year! Not sure on the Lucic part tho :lol:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Green'er says he think Miller would look good next to Petey and Boeser. That all can change tho as we know.

Loving the lineup heading into next year! Not sure on the Lucic part tho :lol:

Yeah I changed it.

JT knows how much rain Vancouver gets right...coming from Tampa and all, but he was in NY so he avoids the dumps of snow at least. I am joking btw!

Nice to see him supposedly say Vancouver is his favourite NHL city, hard for me to believe just based on him being an American but good way to make a solid impact with the fans by saying that.

Now, what # is he wearing!?

8 minutes ago, appleboy said:

You win with defense and goal tending.  

The big problem for most fans including me is the price Benning gave up for Miller.  Tampa picked up Mcdonagh and Miller for a first , 2nd and three ok prospects. The biggest portion of the value should have been for Mcdonagh.

The three "ok" prospects were, by draft, two 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder. Add a 1st and a conditional 1st that turned into a 2nd. Way to spin things.

Don't see all the fuss here, they acquired a top six forward which this team desperately needed. If the Canucks are at least not playoff worthy by 2021 then there's something greatly wrong here. Yes the defense needs work but we will have a full season of Hughes and maybe Juolevi as well. We still have cap to add another defenseman in the free agency and you have to think with the experience the core will get within two seasons should be enough to elevate us to fight for a playoff spot.

Edited by JC2
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Please. 

Miniature violins.

You're reminding me of a Monty Python segment.  "Help, I'm being repressed!":lol:  (no love lost for authoritarain monarchist 'pricks' either (oops, is prick 'sexist'?)

This is probably the best scene of any movie ever made!!!

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ok.  I just pulled in to Seattle.  Let's dissect this deal 

1.  He's slightly smaller but comparable to a Kevin Hayes.  Hayes was traded to Winnipeg for a 1st, 4th and solid prospect.  For 3 months.  Hayes is a winger Miller a C/W hybrid.  Miller is younger and more productive.  Hayes just signed for $7.14 million per year, Miller under contract for 4 years at a measly $5.25 million

2.  Just like that Sutter is expendable.  With retention.

3.  A centre of that level will get bank in free agency, see Bozak.

4.  He lifts the burden off of Horvat and Pettersson.

5.  The pick. It slides to 2021 if we miss the playoffs next year.  I've been saying next year is our bubble year for 2 years now.  We get another pick next year, no pick the following.

But by next season we will know what we have in.  DiPietro, Demko, Woo, Lind, Gadjovich, Gaudette, Madden, Brisebois and more.  

Honestly, while people may hate this deal.  In 2 years when this pick is going to Tampa, we're not going to mind much.  We cleaned up AGAIN.  Pettersson, Hughes, Pod-Goal-Zin plus more.

How can this be a bad deal?  Age fits.  Size good.  Shoots where we need.  Center/W.  Makes Sutter expendable.  Keep our pick where it matters.

I like this.  It's good.  I'm happy.  Let's revisit in 2 seasons and see.  This is coming from a guy who was mad about Shinkaruk being traded btw

Well said.

• Upvote 1