The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

I would necessarily say "improvements", he's just getting opportunity and he's, simply, too good for the AHL.........aside from hands.

They should have left Podz down there too

Hoglander was doing all of that stuff in the NHL as well.. His hands just need to catch up to him, and he'll be a good 2nd liner imo.

• There it is 1

10 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I sure liked Hoglanders game and he never scored in both games I watched.. His speed and chase on puck very exciting to watch this very good prospect.. 

Wonder if he gets called up or packaged for a very good young D man prospect? 

Hope Canucks keep this speedy talented forward only 22 years old.

Another G and A for Hoglander, doesn't even get a star of the game. I really feel for Hogs, he's working his butt off in Abby and meanwhile we've got guys like PDG playing on our first line with Miller and newbies like Kravstov and even Podkolzin moved up into the NHL. I know Hoglander looked bad to start the season but I hope we don't give up on him, hoping the entire year in Abby as a top 6 winger will get him ready for our preseason next year (which is never the issue). He just has to play well defensively and he should be in over Kravstov, we're just giving our shiny new toy a whirl.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Another G and A for Hoglander, doesn't even get a star of the game. I really feel for Hogs, he's working his butt off in Abby and meanwhile we've got guys like PDG playing on our first line with Miller and newbies like Kravstov and even Podkolzin moved up into the NHL. I know Hoglander looked bad to start the season but I hope we don't give up on him, hoping the entire year in Abby as a top 6 winger will get him ready for our preseason next year (which is never the issue). He just has to play well defensively and he should be in over Kravstov, we're just giving our shiny new toy a whirl.

I believe Hoglander is 2-3 games away from being waiver eligible hence why he’s not being called up for the rest of the year. 

I think being in the AHL was a blessing in disguise for him. He’s really coming out strong and will definitely be a top 9 forward for us next season (barring any unexpected trades).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/6/2023 at 9:48 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"I give Nils and our coaching staff credit. They've really harped on [Nils] for his defence, puck management, [and his] wall play. That's what's important, not just production."

"If Nils buys into doing these things within a team structure, he will get opportunities to produce and we're seeing that with him now. I give him credit, he's bought into that and working on it and doing video work all the time."

"We knew it wasn't going to be a week to 10 days. These are habits that you have to do consistently for a long time and it just becomes second nature to you. And I think that's what we're starting to see with Nils."

- Ryan Johnson on Nils Höglander

Taking these quotes at face value really makes you question what we were doing the last 2-3 years.  Coaching, management, all of it.  

I’ve been critical of the new regime but if they’re committed to a top down approach to playing the right way they’re going to build success.

• Like 1