The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

3 hours ago, Laheys Liquor said:

With Hoglander having 20 games of playing time against men, I see him having a much higher chance of making the roster this Jan. then he would of if the world was normal and the season started late September. 

Especially if a couple guys show up a bit out of shape or sluggish, Hog will give management a tough decision - great problem for us to have. 

Ain't a Hoglander thread without a JV reference

img?regionKey=pL6DKurqN1tkd4o2oFfWYg==

4 hours ago, Laheys Liquor said:

With Hoglander having 20 games of playing time against men, I see him having a much higher chance of making the roster this Jan. then he would of if the world was normal and the season started late September. 

Especially if a couple guys show up a bit out of shape or sluggish, Hog will give management a tough decision - great problem for us to have. 

For sure. I am really looking forward to seeing Hogs in mid-season form competing for a spot on the team. I think that does give him an edge.

Lets pump the brakes a bit on this kid. Seeing a couple of highlight reel goals is great and I hope he turns out but he is a long shot to make the team this season. Especially if his defensive play is sub par. TG will not be having any of that.

I say he is a couple years away still.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Lets pump the brakes a bit on this kid. Seeing a couple of highlight reel goals is great and I hope he turns out but he is a long shot to make the team this season. Especially if his defensive play is sub par. TG will not be having any of that.

TG won't use him if he's not good defensively, we know that. I hope Petey can be a good influence on him in particular, that kid doesn't stop trying with or without the puck. 

Hog's seems like a smart kid, I suspect he'll do what he needs to and follow the systems here. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

TG won't use him if he's not good defensively, we know that. I hope Petey can be a good influence on him in particular, that kid doesn't stop trying with or without the puck. 

Hog's seems like a smart kid, I suspect he'll do what he needs to and follow the systems here. 

agreed but it will take time.

AHL is probably best for Nils this year if they have a season but I wouldn't be completely surprised if he forced his way on to the team this year. Its concerning to hear that his current coach thinks he needs work defensively and that could definitely keep him off the team this year. But his ability on the forecheck is very impressive and being in the top 15 for Corsi% in the SHL is worth noting. Its easier to defend if the opponent can never get the puck out of their own end when you are on the ice.

57 minutes ago, Stelar said:

agreed but it will take time.

I wonder about that with smart players. Petey picked it up pretty quick, although he's a phenom. Boeser on the other hand is still a work in progress. 

Is there a good evaluation of Hog's staking ability? that would certainly go a long way to speed up his curve. 

I feel confident Hoglander will be a strong contributor on this team. Yes, he still has lots to learn but he has the skill level that makes defenders look silly on the ice, the IQ and creativity to be a constant scoring threat, as well as the right attitude and drive to become successful.

He may not make the team immediately, and that's perfectly fine... not every player is a Hughes or Petey. He needs to gain strength and size, and that's typical from young players - he already does well playing against men. Despite being a possession darling his defense supposedly needs work, but I'm not concerned about his ability to improve in that area - he just needs continued coaching and continue to learn the finer points of the game.

Mark my words: Hoglander will be on the opening night 2022 roster, and I would be pleasantly surprised but not astonished if he became a permanent fixture sooner.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

The play that many people miss which was the catalyst to the entire play was his defensive work with a take away in the corner before driving the net and scoring. 

76B7D492-2420-4E40-ACF0-D439039F6EC0.thumb.png.b31f7e7ed002811388bd5dfdf46da68f.png60F0C8AB-7DC9-4346-B713-8A290EE8B537.thumb.png.74b154c185ce15c57cc83c3229474908.pngADF04D89-8674-4993-80BD-F06D1179240A.thumb.png.83e388db24b6fc48622a61d34639b509.pngD9C8537D-92DF-4522-9AB9-1A367E8DAE46.thumb.png.0c2ff1d62d6f727e9606176a1aa8176b.png

Agreed.  As nice as the finish was, getting the puck in the corner the way he did was what impressed me the most.  This kid will get time with the big club this year for sure.

7 hours ago, Stelar said:

Keep em comin

14 hours ago, NHL'er said:

Ain't a Hoglander thread without a JV reference

img?regionKey=pL6DKurqN1tkd4o2oFfWYg==

Wasn't even referring to him specifically, but the fact that he's the first thing that comes to your mind when I post that should tell you something ;) lol

He is a slow starter, and until he proves us differently, he will be labeled as such. 

• Haha 1