Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW


ItalianCanuck1
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Hoglander has said a couple of times that he thinks he is ready for the NHL right now.  He certainly has NHL fitness level and his body is mature for his age.

 

We don’t seem to have the cap space suddenly to sign another top 6 forward.  I wonder if he has an outside chance at all of being on the roster this year.  His competition may just be Goldobin unless we find a value deal in UFA.

 

Pro’s and Con’s.  Good to percolate and develop in lesser leagues.  At the same time, if he has the skill and has been playing against men for 3 years already anyways, getting top six minutes in a sheltered role on a Horvat line (playing less though as he wouldn’t be on the first unit PP or PK) could also be good for development.

 

It feels rushed, but it depends on the individual.  The good thing is that with his situation, you could sign him to an ELC and give him a look for a few games before deciding whether to loan him to his club team in Sweden.

We don't have an urgent need for him to come in immediately, but I'm all for him trying to earn a spot. I think he won't get that opportunity as I'm sure he will need to get ready for his season in the SHL which I believe he's been committed to already (but maybe there's an out clause). I'd like for him to hopefully have a good year in the SHL and if he's dominant, he could maybe make the jump straight to the NHL next season. If not, then see if he's willing to come over for some seasoning in the AHL and hope he isn't another Dahlen.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We don't have an urgent need for him to come in immediately, but I'm all for him trying to earn a spot. I think he won't get that opportunity as I'm sure he will need to get ready for his season in the SHL which I believe he's been committed to already (but maybe there's an out clause). I'd like for him to hopefully have a good year in the SHL and if he's dominant, he could maybe make the jump straight to the NHL next season. If not, then see if he's willing to come over for some seasoning in the AHL and hope he isn't another Dahlen.

I don't get an entitled vibe from this kid. Plus hes in much better physical shape than Dahlen so I don't see him struggling the same way.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't get an entitled vibe from this kid. Plus hes in much better physical shape than Dahlen so I don't see him struggling the same way.

I didn't get an entitled vibe for Dahlen either until near the end of his time here. If you caught it on earlier, then good observation. I'm not saying I'm concerned though, just hope we don't run into that again.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I didn't get an entitled vibe for Dahlen either until near the end of his time here. If you caught it on earlier, then good observation. I'm not saying I'm concerned though, just hope we don't run into that again.

It was the healthy scratches in Utica.... not a great sign for someone touted as Peteys future LW 

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Man, I know CDC loves to overhype Canucks prospect, but reading this thread make me feel like we won the lottery and we picked up Hoglander #1 overall.

 

It's ok the be excited about our prospect, but can we take a deep breath here before we label Hoglander our next superstar.  Brings me back when I used to read the comments in the Anton Rodin thread or when we selected Schroeder who had fallen too and not too long ago Kole Lind as well.    Pretty similar comments around here.    I'm always wary when a prospect drops.  In one way it's nice that he was ranked in the top 30 and we got him where we did....but on the flip side, he was ranked in the top 30 by the media....the cream of the crop is suppose to be the NHL scouts and they kinda of all passed on him in some way, that should tell you something too.  

 

Anyways, not saying I don't like him, not saying he's not a good pick, just saying can we lower our expectations a little and let him develop before we put him on a line with Podkolzin and Petey or Horvat already.  Lots will happen before we cross that bridge.  If it happens great for us, if it doesn't, well the odds say this is the more probable scenario with a 2nd rounder.  I feel like some people here would be ready to bet their house on him becoming a superstar. 

I am not a betting man but if I was, I would bet on him making the NHL but not on him being a superstar.  A hard working s&*t disturber that can pop in some goals as a left winger on the 3rd line is what I expect but I am hoping for more.  Just saying. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I am not a betting man but if I was, I would bet on him making the NHL but not on him being a superstar.  A hard working s&*t disturber that can pop in some goals as a left winger on the 3rd line is what I expect but I am hoping for more.  Just saying. 

That’s s pretty good floor for #40 pick.  Way to go JB!

  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Man, I know CDC loves to overhype Canucks prospect, but reading this thread make me feel like we won the lottery and we picked up Hoglander #1 overall.

 

It's ok the be excited about our prospect, but can we take a deep breath here before we label Hoglander our next superstar.  Brings me back when I used to read the comments in the Anton Rodin thread or when we selected Schroeder who had fallen too and not too long ago Kole Lind as well.    Pretty similar comments around here.    I'm always wary when a prospect drops.  In one way it's nice that he was ranked in the top 30 and we got him where we did....but on the flip side, he was ranked in the top 30 by the media....the cream of the crop is suppose to be the NHL scouts and they kinda of all passed on him in some way, that should tell you something too.  

 

Anyways, not saying I don't like him, not saying he's not a good pick, just saying can we lower our expectations a little and let him develop before we put him on a line with Podkolzin and Petey or Horvat already.  Lots will happen before we cross that bridge.  If it happens great for us, if it doesn't, well the odds say this is the more probable scenario with a 2nd rounder.  I feel like some people here would be ready to bet their house on him becoming a superstar. 

giphy.gif

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2019 at 2:31 PM, kloubek said:

Not certain I agree with the placement, but if both Podkolzin and Hogs hit their ceiling, this looks like a great top 6 to me overall.

 

I believe the intention in getting Miller was to give Petey some extra skill but especially size on the LW.

 

I'm very curious to see if Miller can gain chemistry on that line - it is a great opportunity as a stepping stone for him to increase his stats and value.  I feel if he can get to 60+ points there, we are in for two truly lethal lines in a couple of years.

Hoglander, I will believe it when Pigs Fly!

 

 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Man, I know CDC loves to overhype Canucks prospect, but reading this thread make me feel like we won the lottery and we picked up Hoglander #1 overall.

 

It's ok the be excited about our prospect, but can we take a deep breath here before we label Hoglander our next superstar.  Brings me back when I used to read the comments in the Anton Rodin thread or when we selected Schroeder who had fallen too and not too long ago Kole Lind as well.    Pretty similar comments around here.    I'm always wary when a prospect drops.  In one way it's nice that he was ranked in the top 30 and we got him where we did....but on the flip side, he was ranked in the top 30 by the media....the cream of the crop is suppose to be the NHL scouts and they kinda of all passed on him in some way, that should tell you something too.  

 

Anyways, not saying I don't like him, not saying he's not a good pick, just saying can we lower our expectations a little and let him develop before we put him on a line with Podkolzin and Petey or Horvat already.  Lots will happen before we cross that bridge.  If it happens great for us, if it doesn't, well the odds say this is the more probable scenario with a 2nd rounder.  I feel like some people here would be ready to bet their house on him becoming a superstar. 

Reason!  Logic!  

 

Good luck, but I gave you a plus and kinda agree

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, timberz21 said:

I feel like some people here would be ready to bet their house on him becoming a superstar. 

Lol.  It does sound like it.  

 

You know when we all went to look for Pettersson clips once we drafted him?  And we are like... Oh man - the skill of that guy is undeniable.  Hope he can translate it to the NHL and he could be amazing.

 

Yeah.... well,  am in no way claiming he will be Pettersson level. That would be silly at this point.

 

But still, that skill is undeniable.  Pair that with his elite athletic ability and I certainly think there is a lot to be excited about - position of pick considered or otherwise. Believe or not, I am somehow more convinced of his sucess relative to his draft position than I am of Podkolzin.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Nils Hoglander | #36 | LW
  • -AJ- changed the title to Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...