The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Are we talking about Drance or JD Burke?

JD Burke on both accounts. He didn’t create the article but was a part of it. 

in his words they

‘They hit it out of the park’: Experts weigh in on the Canucks’ 2020 draft picks

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/theathletic.com/2122734/2020/10/07/they-hit-it-out-of-the-park-experts-weigh-in-on-the-canucks-2020-draft-picks/%3famp

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

in his words they

‘They hit it out of the park’: Experts weigh in on the Canucks’ 2020 draft picks

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/theathletic.com/2122734/2020/10/07/they-hit-it-out-of-the-park-experts-weigh-in-on-the-canucks-2020-draft-picks/%3famp

Either way, the joke still stands on his assessment of Hoglander.

Just now, theo5789 said:

Either way, the joke still stands on his assessment of Hoglander.

I mean I don’t necessarily disagree to an extent. Hog might need another season of seasoning but it’s hard to draw any conclusions on whether or not he needs that now.. We will have to wait and see how good he is come camp. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I mean I don’t necessarily disagree to an extent. Hog might need another season of seasoning but it’s hard to draw any conclusions on whether or not he needs that now.. We will have to wait and see how good he is come camp. 

I actually expect Hogs to play lights out in camp since he will be in mid-season form, although not used to NA ice surface. But I agree some caution is warranted. He's not a sure thing to pan out, he might need more seasoning and it could also be he's great for 10-20 games but can't keep it up.

I do hope he's at least a middle 6 winger and a fan favourite within 2 years though.

The commitment this kid shows in the gym to prepare himself to be ready is like no other prospect we have. On top of that aside from Petey might be the most gifted with the puck on his stick. I think he’s going to look great in camp and wouldn’t be surprised if he earns a couple games. I think ultimately Benning will give him another year due to contract flexibility and once we shed a couple more contracts he’s on the team.

• Upvote 3

A bit of a cold spell offensively for Hoglander right now in the SHL. 

After putting up 4 assists in the first 2 games he has gone the last 5 games without registering a single point and still doesn’t have a goal in 7 games. 

He did have 7 shots in the last 2 games and his ice time is up a bit this year. 

Hopefully he can pot one soon and build up some confidence. His next game is on Saturday. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2020 at 10:59 AM, Junkyard Dog said:

in his words they

Can you take some quotes out of it? No access. 

Sorry I'm not that athletic. :bigblush:  :lol:

Edited by Rush17

I am a big fan of Hogz but do people really think that he is ready for a place on the Canucks this season?  I think he is going to need a year in Utica to get used to the North American game.  I would be excited to see him in this season but I wonder if some are setting the bar a little too high.  I suppose we will have to wait and see. B)

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, dpn1 said:

I am a big fan of Hogz but do people really think that he is ready for a place on the Canucks this season? NO.  I think he is going to need a year in Utica to get used to the North American game. 1 year at the least.  I would be excited to see him in this season but I wonder if some are setting the bar a little too high. IMO, there's a large, vocal group of members here who mean well, but don't actually know much about player development and think every player drafted is going to play and contribute.  I'm talking about the members who thought Cassels was going to be an impact player for us because as a 20yo he shut down a 16yo McJesus in the Mem Cup lol....  I suppose we will have to wait and see. B)

• Cheers 1

I really like how some people in this thread don't think that Nils can play on the team this year and believe that he will need at least a year in the AHL, like there is going to be an AHL season this year. But at the same time want him to come and learn the NA game and play on a smaller ice surface. It just seems like some people forget there is a global pandemic going on. I hold no expectations from him for this coming NHL season but I do think that with a half of a season in the SHL under his belt when he comes to camp, whenever that is, he is going to be one of the biggest surprises regardless of if he makes the team or not. Either way, and I know how CDC is, people need to quit the hand wringing and let our prospects develop on there own path.

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Can you take some quotes out of it? No access. 

Sorry I'm not that athletic. :bigblush:  :lol:

Joni Jurmo: "His weaknesses aren’t as debilitating as his strengths, especially at Pick 82. This guy had early second-round potential all day so to get him in the late third is a heck of a swing and something that I’d put on a stamp on too." 

Jackson Kunz: "The thing about Kunz is if he ever makes the NHL, he’s going to be a fourth-line grinder. And you look at the players available to them in the fourth round, I just don’t think the juice is anywhere worth the squeeze."

Jacob Truscott: "I think what the Canucks did was they looked at his package of skills — he can skate well, he’s got good size, decent shot, can move the puck — he’s shown in spurts that he can put it all together and be something of a modern transitional defenceman. The question is if he can harness his skill on a game-to-game basis and I think that’s going to be the challenge."

Dmitry Zlodeyev: "His skill level isn’t especially high, but that’s not what he’s projected to do at the NHL level anyways. He’s going to be, if anything, a third or fourth-liner who can find teammates relatively well but provides a ton of value on the penalty kill and in defensive situations."

Viktor Persson: "He’s kind of one of the generals on Brynas where you can see that he’s kind of dictating how things are going to get set up, even when he doesn’t have the puck. He has the skating ability, he’s an intelligent kid, has a nice playmaking element where he can see how things open up instead of rushing his first pass. I think he has NHL upside and really liked this pick." 

Jurmo and Truscott were the most well liked picks. 

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

Realistically where in the Canucks lineup would a small rookie with zero North American experience fit in the 2021 Canuck line? He needs time in Utica before the Jump to Canucks roster.

Im a huge Hoglander fan but i see him as a Canuck down the line. See how he plays in Utica first and see if Canucks have a spot available. If Canucks do have a spot available it means Canucks are in trouble in 2021 with injuries. Kole Lind is more likely to be in the Canuck lineup before Hoglander imo.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CallAfterLife said:

Jackson Kunz: "The thing about Kunz is if he ever makes the NHL, he’s going to be a fourth-line grinder. And you look at the players available to them in the fourth round, I just don’t think the juice is anywhere worth the squeeze."

Dmitry Zlodeyev: "His skill level isn’t especially high, but that’s not what he’s projected to do at the NHL level anyways. He’s going to be, if anything, a third or fourth-liner who can find teammates relatively well but provides a ton of value on the penalty kill and in defensive situations."

I guarantee they didn’t draft Kunz to be a fourth line grinder. His high school numbers show he has offensive instinct with almost a goal per game. The question will be can he translate that to the USHL level and then the NCAA level. Im sure similar things were said about Jamie Benn.

As for the quote about Zlodeyev not sure who made that quote but it strongly contradicts Craig Buttons opinion of him which was that he’s an elite offensive player. I’ve also seen reports that he is very good on the power play. So I think that persons opinion might be based on limited intel.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1