The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

What's interesting is how quickly it CAN be improved.  Recall a few years back how bad it was, then suddenly Hutton emerged and Tryamkin came in and some clouds lifted.  There are only 6 spots, so you change out a couple and things suddenly look bright.  One good trade and a quality UFA signing and it can make quite the difference.

Isn't this an argument against signing Myers, since you argue things can change quickly, so why sign a bad long term contract this summer? I actually haven't read the whole thread so am not sure if you're in favour of a 7 year 49m deal for Myers.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The players just want the best chance to win, and having Myers helps with that.  He's not going to get EK crazy money.  Loui is done here.  

Of course they do. Myers might help with that and might hinder that. It's not certain.

Seeing as how nothing outside of a dinner has taken place, there's no telling what'll happen. I'm hopeful in any event that Benning remains cognizant of the needs he's laid out.

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

They don't need an elite, scoring dman, they need someone who can prevent goals and someone who can take some of the hard mins from eddie and bump tanev down the depth chart on the right side......desperately.  A depth dman won't do that and when tanev inevitably goes down with an injury, there'll be no one to handle those top 3 mins again.

But Myers isn't that guy, which is the point.  From all accounts he struggled badly when big buff went out with injury and he was forced to play more minutes against the other teams top lines.

Edited by FireGillis
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

You have to play the cards your dealt. A trade just doesn't seem possible with the assets we have so what is JB to do? It seems your happy keeping things the same except its not your job or reputation on the line is it? I appreciate JB trying to do something to improve the team and understand you have to go with what your dealt. Theres only so many FA defenseman, you have to make your chioce and go with it because if you delay and think about it before you know it there all gone and we have to sign crap for too high a cap hit. At least Myers or Gardnier are not crap.

Trust me, if Benning signs Myers to something even close to 7x7, it's not going to help his reputation.

The Podkolzin pick helped his reputation; he took a project player that is minimum 2 years away despite his job clearly being on the line. 

Him doing what's best for the organization now and for the long-term will look good on his resume. Him making a panic move and having an another albatross contract on the books will not.

If he's managing to save his job, we're sunk.

10 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

What's interesting is how quickly it CAN be improved.  Recall a few years back how bad it was, then suddenly Hutton emerged and Tryamkin came in and some clouds lifted.  There are only 6 spots, so you change out a couple and things suddenly look bright.  One good trade and a quality UFA signing and it can make quite the difference.

I mean our defense was still bad. But there was hope atleast.

Its gunna take a bit more than Juolevi proving he can play a sheltered role & Tryamkin returning. I used to think adding Tryamkin could be like putting a top 4 guy in, but now im not sure what to expect from Tryamkin.

I dont see the assets for a a really good trade, but hopefully.

Seems to be a foregone conclusion they'll get someone in Free Agency, whether the contract is good or not.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

4 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

Isn't this an argument against signing Myers, since you argue things can change quickly, so why sign a bad long term contract this summer? I actually haven't read the whole thread so am not sure if you're in favour of a 7 year 49m deal for Myers.

Myers is a solid top-4 dman and improves this defence immediately.  Of course term is an issue, but you deal with it.  The alternative is you don't sign him, and instead fill the gap with plugs... like we've been doing the past 4-5 years.  Yes we have prospects coming, and perhaps a trade can be made, but as long as steps are measured you have to keep pushing forward, and oft times that means taking some risks.  Reality of the cap world, where sometimes you ditch assets for nothing and other times you have to overpay to play.

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

True. Outside of being a terrifying piece of business physically, Chara has had great positioning and awareness. 

He was a good defenseman for Ottawa before Boston signed him as a free agent when he was 29. Ottawa chose to let him go. Ottawa could only afford to keep one of him or Wade Redden. They chose Redden. Big mistake. But in reality, Chara became Great while playing for Boston after his 29th birthday

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

But Myers isn't that guy, which is the point.  From all accounts he struggled badly when big buff went out with injury and he was forced to play more minutes against the other teams top lines.

He sure looked like it in the playoffs to me, he was their best dman in that series.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

He sure looked like it in the playoffs to me, he was their best dman in that series.

I didn't watch that series, so can't say anything about that.  However, that's not even the argument since big buff was there soaking up all the minutes and Myers was routinely getting around 4th in ice time among dmen, so if he looked good to you it helped that he was playing sheltered minutes.  I'm fine with Myers being a 4th dman for us.  I'm not fine with paying a 4th dman 7m.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Myers is a solid top-4 dman and improves this defence immediately.  Of course term is an issue, but you deal with it.  The alternative is you don't sign him, and instead fill the gap with plugs... like we've been doing the past 4-5 years.  Yes we have prospects coming, and perhaps a trade can be made, but as long as steps are measured you have to keep pushing forward, and oft times that means taking some risks.  Reality of the cap world, where sometimes you ditch assets for nothing and other times you have to overpay to play.

And if Myers at 7 x $7-$8 plays out similarly to Eriksson at 6 x $6?

Cause that's an awful lot how this whole thing feels to me...

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

They don't need an elite, scoring dman, they need someone who can prevent goals and someone who can take some of the hard mins from eddie and bump tanev down the depth chart on the right side......desperately.  A depth dman won't do that and when tanev inevitably goes down with an injury, there'll be no one to handle those top 3 mins again.

Stralman likely could.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Myers isnt a long term fix for the D. Hes a short term fix, you'll have to sign him long term to get him, but hes a now move. Id agree hes a servicable #4 who can help out on your 2nd PP.

This is going be Jim Benning's biggest challenge to fix this defense quickly & adequately.

The defense really should be primarily built through the draft, and Benning has a decent stable of Hughes, Juolevi, Woo, Rathbone, and Tryamkin (hopefully) to show for it. If Benning has the opportunity to trade for a solid foundational piece, he should. The FA period always seems to be where average players values are drastically inflated with this year seemingly no different.

Fixing something quickly doesn't usually mean it's been adequate.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nzan said:

And if Myers at 7 x $7-$8 plays out similarly to Eriksson at 6 x $6?

Cause that's an awful lot how this whole thing feels to me...

Ain't it just part of the fun finding out?  That is, if you let things unfold and just enjoy the game rather than fretting over all the possible negatives (considering we can't change it anyway). Never know how things will turn out, Loui had just come off a 30-goal season after a consistent productive career.

16 minutes ago, bassetgreg said:

He was a good defenseman for Ottawa before Boston signed him as a free agent when he was 29. Ottawa chose to let him go. Ottawa could only afford to keep one of him or Wade Redden. They chose Redden. Big mistake. But in reality, Chara became Great while playing for Boston after his 29th birthday

And Myers is 29...….

raw

• Haha 1

I think we need to sign Myers if the term is fair (under 7 years). He is a solid top 4 defenseman that offers rare size and right handedness. We need to make bold moves in order to become a playoff team the next two years, so that we don't surrender a top 15 pick in the JT Miller trade. 
I can envision him playing with Hughes or Edler. 

Edler - Tanev
Hughes - Myers

Looks good to me. 

2 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

I think we need to sign Myers if the term is fair (under 7 years). He is a solid top 4 defenseman that offers rare size and right handedness. We need to make bold moves in order to become a playoff team the next two years, so that we don't surrender a top 15 pick in the JT Miller trade. 
I can envision him playing with Hughes or Edler. 

Edler - Tanev
Hughes - Myers

Looks good to me. 

I'd prefer Stralman with far more cap flexibility moving forward.

Edler, Stecher

Hughes, Stralman

UFA (Benn?), Tanev/UFA

Though I'm not opposed to a reasonable deal on Myers either.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Ain't it just part of the fun finding out?  That is, if you let things unfold and just enjoy the game rather than fretting over all the possible negatives (considering we can't change it anyway). Never know how things will turn out, Loui had just come off a 30-goal season after a consistent productive career.

Yeah, Loui had a much more impressive resume than Myers and look how that turned out. 

The result in signing Myers to a $7M+ deal over 7 years is not just the brutal contract and subpar play that the Canucks will be straddled with, it's also the opportunity cost of tying up that space when it could be utilized for a true Top 2/3 player that could help the team rather than hinder it. Everything about giving a contract like that to Myers is a disaster. 

Just now, aGENT said:

I'd prefer Stralman with far more cap flexibility moving forward.

Edler, Stecher

Hughes, Stralman

UFA (Benn?), Tanev/UFA

Though I'm not opposed to a reasonable deal on Myers either.

Overpaying Stralman slightly for 3-4 years would be so much better than any Myers contract. Please JB be reasonable! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maketherightmove said:

Overpaying Stralman slightly for 3-4 years would be so much better than any Myers contract. Please JB be reasonable! 

Might even be able to swing him for 2-3 years. Then we Have Tryamkin returning next spring/the following fall to replace Tanev and hopefully Woo pushing for a spot in the next couple years to replace Stralman. Juolevi splits time with Benn until he's ready to take over. Followed by Rathbone as Edler ages out.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Might even be able to swing him for 2-3 years. Then we Have Tryamkin returning next spring/the following fall to replace Tanev and hopefully Woo pushing for a spot in the next couple years to replace Stralman. Juolevi splits time with Benn until he's ready to take over. Followed by Rathbone as Edler ages out.

Now this kind of progression is palatable.

• Upvote 1