The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yup.

Yeah, the Canucks have been acting a lot more cap-conscious lately.  

Which makes sense as they look to make a push for the playoffs.  

They obviously want Myers.. and will overpay him a bit, but probably more to the tune of 6.5 x 6 rather than a true blue 7 x 7 (or the “7-8” canuck Twitter is starting to inflate it to) 

31 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, the Canucks have been acting a lot more cap-conscious lately.  

Which makes sense as they look to make a push for the playoffs.  

They obviously want Myers.. and will overpay him a bit, but probably more to the tune of 6.5 x 6 rather than a true blue 7 x 7 (or the “7-8” canuck Twitter is starting to inflate it to) 

I don’t think one signing with Edler really counts as a trend of being cap conscious.

At the same time, I really hope we don’t overpay for Myers.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

are you saying that is a misquote?

I shall neither confirm nor deny(!).  Already listened to it once, and it did have a bit of a different tone to how the tweet sounded.

But we do know that Zaitsev is a hot commodity, and teams are lining up to take him on and flood the Leafs will all manner of asset goodies.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yup.

Refresshing to see...

I hope no big dollars here, some speculations have him at 8mil for 7 years. I doubt the Canucks would or could actually do that.

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don’t think one signing with Edler really counts as a trend of being cap conscious.

At the same time, I really hope we don’t overpay for Myers.

I feel like it’s a little more than that.  

A key component of the Miller acquisition is the cost certainty regarding his contract.  Bo’s contract is well done, also.  He’s letting Hutton go to FA due to his contract situation.  They’re taking their time with Brock’s deal.  Talk about jettisoning Loui. 

Yeah, there’s a lot of superfluous dead weight on the payroll right now... but the offseason is still young.  

Im hopeful for a bit of restraint when it comes to the cap.  

I think Pettersson helps keep the contracts down since he’s a talent people will want to play with.  We’ll see.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

He may be the best RHD, but can he regularly play 22+ minutes, and at a high enough level?

13 hours ago, stawns said:

I think so.

Granted we take our own media with chunks of salt, but...

Perhaps best if our top-4 are fairly equal in minutes.  Greener can sort it all out as he goes along, but we don't likely want to keep Edler and Tanev playing as many as they have.

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

It's interesting that Friedman elects to say there are no teams  with the "want or will".   And he qualifies it with an  "I just don't know"....

If he'd said there's only one team in position to make this signing and serious, that would be one thing - but he does a little troll thing suggesting that there aren't any other teams that would have the want either - while just not knowing.

I find that borderline absurd - is he honestly tying to suggest that a Leafs team with a cap dump material Zaitsev and nothing else on their right side would not "want" Myers, even if they had the cap flexibility to fill a need of theirs - and in a deflated market with few serious suitors?   Hmmm.  That no other teams would want Myers if they were in a position to pursue him?   Well done if his point is to insult the player.   Poor Canucks fans - they only get the players that no one else wants - and of course, pay way too much for them, right.  Hmmm.  I'm just not sure this is Elliot's finest moment.

Almost makes me hope this deal happens and that Myers crushes it here.  Like I've said, he's not necessarily my first choice, but a large part of my hesitancy is due to the speculated terms - I should know better by now than place any signficance in the noise - and wait until we see what actually happens.

Anyhow - I guess the Canucks can send him a thank you note for undermining Myers' negotiating position - at least publiclly.  The reactionary element can send him a thank you as well, for helping substantiate their fears around a potential signing where Benning has leverage but doesn't use it, of course..  And Myers can send him a fk you for suggesting that no one else wants him.

Of course Myers' agent would know this - if it's in fact true.

Maybe there's an undercurrent here - of bitterness/envy - as his imploding Leafs are in no position to compete for anyone - want or not.

One of my good friends at work is a die hard Leafs fan from growing up in TO and it's actually sad to see him crashing down to earth through the playoffs and now what's happening in the off season.  Through the regular season he was on a high, now he's starting to realize what's happening there.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Talk about jettisoning Loui. 

Benning should win the GM of the year should he be able to do that without taking a cap dump in return for that alone.  Not going to happen this upcoming season.  More likely the following season.

Whoever has a twitter account needs to do their part, spam Aquilini repetitively until it sinks in that Canucks fans will riot if they give Myers what's reported. Calling him a top 4 defenceman is a stretch. He doesn't deserve more than Edler if getting term as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Granted we take our own media with chunks of salt, but...

What he says in this tweet is pretty much common knowledge. This is not a young player with untapped potential or something.

He is what he is, an average player, and yes he's right: we will suffer if he gets anything close to what's rumored lol. We've suffered enough over the past 4 years, make it stop.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Benning should win the GM of the year should he be able to do that without taking a cap dump in return for that alone.  Not going to happen this upcoming season.  More likely the following season.

Oh, like Wunderboy did with Marleau?  Amay-zing.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Oh, like Wunderboy did with Marleau?  Amay-zing.

Touché.  (Though I think we’re done with dealing away 1st round picks for a bit....even Gillis only traded one away during his entire time here)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

So does the Luongo cap recapture limit JB's buying power over Myers?

I hope so, cause hes not worth more than 6 in the short term and 5 with term.

Could be one last great save Luongo! (I stole this analogy, I seen it on here earlier)

I heard that Lu let Benning know months ago, so I doubt it changes anything. Not sure if that true or not though.