The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

10 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

OJ will be a big minute dman who can play PP minutes, severely underrated and if you listen to 650 he's maybe going to crack the top 6? Guy is top four material.

He better be to select him over Tkachuk. 

• Wat 1

11 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

OJ will be a big minute dman who can play PP minutes, severely underrated and if you listen to 650 he's maybe going to crack the top 6? Guy is top four material.

Juolevi is a going to be a very very good Dman. An Alex Edler type slightly less physical but very defensive sound with possibly higher offensive upside. 

If Tkachuk wasn't taken directly after I think more people would give Juolevi praise. Kids gonna be a stud.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

aside from injuries, everything about OJ's development thus far indicates he won't disappoint.

Other than his play without the puck which hasn’t developed (though in his defense (pun intended heh), being injured a lot hasn’t helped. The good thing is, you can always learn that skill.  Give him at least one healthy season on the Comets and you’ll see progression.  The offensive skills he does have (probably NHL level right NOW), you can’t learn.  You either have it or you don’t.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Agree wholeheartedly.

Gardiner is far superior offensively.

I’d even argue he’s sneakily better defensively, despite him having some atrocious eye test moments during some individual games over the past few years.

Certainly his microstats profile looks better, especially when it comes to entry defense:

Gardiner is 100% the better D-man. He's a legit 2nd-pairing guy, which Myers has not proven to be.

The only thing Gardiner doesn't have is Myers' size and handedness, and the former doesn't even matter because Myers does not consistently use his size to his advantage.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, amplified0ne said:

Sadly this is what happens when you don't draft your own D prospects and don't have enough assets to trade for them.  You always overpay in FA trying to outbid other teams in both dollars and term.  Whatever they do, they better not put us in a position where it exposes one of our young players to an offer sheet when the time comes.  

Exactly. Management did an atrocious job rebuilding this defence over the past 5 years now they're scrambling.

Look up the history of UFA signings, more often than not they are soon to be buyout candidates. Look at the likes of Ladd, Backes, Eriksson, Neal, Lucic and the list goes on and on.

Initially they are justified as "upgrades" and "must pay a premium for UFAs" but it quickly becomes clear how much of an anchor they are.

This team should be good in 2-3 years. We absolutely do not need a bottom half of the depth chart D-man making 6+ million during that time. I don't care how weak our defense is right now or what the cap will be in 2-3 years, it's a ridiculously dumb idea.

1 minute ago, Beluga Whale said:

This has probably been posted already, but this is all you need to look at:

Screen-Shot-2019-06-23-at-9.24.59-PM.png

You're not allowed to post stats or facts here if they go against the "Canucks can do no wrong" mentality.

You will be vilified no matter how much sense you make.

Sense in general is frowned upon.

• Haha 1

The longer this goes on, the more I am terrified by it. I cannot help but think about Mitch Hedberg's feelings about pancakes. In the beginning you are all excited, but at the end you are sick of them. Even if he signs a reasonable deal like 6x6, I still cannot help but think we will regret it in three years when he is toiling away on the bottom pairing. If he signs the rumored 7x7, he might as well be the soggy flapjack on the bottom of the pile.  

#ripmitchhedberg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

This is where the whole “we shouldn’t sign Myers” argument gets a life of its own and people will crap on him his whole tenure with the Canucks just to validate their own opinions. 

Sadly true, and regardless of how much he signs for.  As a defenceman, any and all gaffes will be magnified and in short order he will be given pejorative nicknames while mocked and ridiculed, with only stays of silence when he plays well.

And we all know who here will compose that crowd.  Fortunately I have a good number of them on ignore already as inoculation.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How about neither? 

Yes there are other options but I needed a rosier outlook on this potential signing. There are enough cry babies on here already ;) 

Edited by Gnarcore
grammar
  • Haha 1