The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

Can’t agree more, it wasn’t even a year ago that we were told by ownership to preach patience and a rebuild is a slow and gradual process. These tweets look pretty dumb now, fans aren’t stupid. We want to be better and competitive for a long time, not a short time. A few playoff dates is not the same as a cup victory. If playoffs are the goal then this signing will help, when our Woos,Hughes and other D need to get signed, this will cause big problems with our cap. 

Before any jump on me and ask what I would do instead of $!€%#ing about it. I would do some shrewd free agent deals like a Stralman for 2X5 and a Jordie Benn for 3.5X2-3 also make a deal with Vegas for Colin Miller as they are now really over the cap (by 8 million I believe) so it wouldn’t take much to take him on.  Sure none of these guys really move the needle but neither does Myers. Just a bit more short term pain for long term gain. But unfortunately it looks like the short term pain ship has sailed on Saturday and Jim is going all in to save his job and not this teams cap structure a few years down the line.

9C2A0DE5-FAC5-4D7A-A920-B4F12A70207E.jpeg

A5D120EB-14A4-46E7-89DF-6B71C80B7BA9.jpeg

Not the first time we've received mixed messaging from this regime. Makes you really wonder if they just take it year-by-year.

44 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

OK I am confused - are you saying you'd get Stralman to sign for $2 million x 5 years or $5 million x 2 years - cause I don't see either of those happening anywhere other than on NHL 19.

Also Colin Miller is not going to be given away for free and other teams would be bidding for his services if he is available.

25 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

You’re probably right that we can’t get Stralman for only 2 years as he will be one of the few decent D man on the free market. We won’t really know what term he would get. Two years only is wishful thinking, until the first few weeks of July come and go to see what’s left at the bargain bin, I doubt Stralman will be this years Cody Franson. As @48MPHSlapShot has already pointed out, we can take the David Clarkson contract from Vegas for cap relief in return for Millers services. We have cap space that other teams don’t have the luxury of. One year of LTIR clarkson and 3 years of 3.85 Colin Miller sounds good to me.

Stralman at 2 years @ 5M doesn't seem like a stretch. I'd go up to 6M if need be. The important thing is we keep the term to a minimum; 2 years probably works the best because that's when EP's next (massive) contract kicks in. Hypothetically, 12M comes off the books from Edler and Stralman and EP takes all of it.

I can't see Stralman getting a much bigger contract elsewhere. He'll be 33 when next season starts and his best days are behind him. We'd probably be offering him the most money and largest role. Only catch here is that he prioritizes winning and signs for cheap with a real contender.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Canucks-12 said:

Plans change. Petey changed everything.

Last I checked, Petey isn't a #1 D-man, or a #2 D-man or a #1 LW.

Throwing stupid money at Myers won't change that, either.

We're far away, and changing the plan now is asinine.

6 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Last I checked, Petey isn't a #1 D-man, or a #2 D-man or a #1 LW.

Throwing stupid money at Myers won't change that, either.

We're far away, and changing the plan now is asinine.

We’re not far away. That’s why plans changed and Petey plays a big part in that. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Canucks-12 said:

We’re not far away.

I'll believe it when I see it in the standings. So far what I've seen is the worst team in the entire league on aggregate for the past 4 seasons.

The only team with less points is Vegas and they only played for 2 of those seasons.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Canucks-12 said:

We’re not far away. That’s why plans changed and Petey plays a big part in that. 

Pettey makes our strengths look stronger but our weakness are just as glaring.

We need a number one D man who can provide some offence and pair against the top line.  Edler is still the best we have.  

If we sign Myers, Stralman or any of the other D men available it doesn't change that calculation but it does make it harder to eventually find that guy in the draft or through trades and FA by reducing cap flexibility.

These are moves to make us a playoff team not a contender.

If we are letting Hutton walk for free, wouldn't take PK because we wanted them to retain salary and spend big on Myers or Gardiner, we have taken one step towards the playoffs and two away from building a perennial cup contender.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

OR Vegas chooses to put him on LTIR for themselves - not really a bargaining chip

Yes but they have to be cap compliant before they put him on LTIR to get the benefit of it.  Essentially they have to paper down whoever they can and see if they can get to 81.5.  They may not have enough waiver eligible contracts to do that.

I was listening to the GM on the radio recently and he did stay they would likely still try to move Clarkson's contract.  Not sure you would get Miller for doing it but everything is negotiable.  Just wish we had better negotiator.

• Cheers 1

Thing I don't understand is everyone being so upset with Benning under the belief the rebuild is over. He has a boss who is the owner of the team - so if the direction from Acquilni is make the playoffs guess what - Jim better do his best to try and build a team that makes the playoffs. Wanna be upset at someone - direct that rage towards the owner.

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Last year I saw a team that was supposed to finish dead last in the league perform well above expectations, despite the fact that it was the first season in nearly 20 years that the Sedins didn't suit up for. 

Different strokes I guess.

If 2-3 more of our prospects that currently aren't on the team do what Pettersson did, I'll be on board.

As much of a beacon of hope Petterson is, he alone doesn't take us from a tire-fire to a legit contender.

Edited by kanucks25

1 minute ago, MikeBossy said:

Thing I don't understand is everyone being so upset with Benning under the belief the rebuild is over. He has a boss who is the owner of the team - so if the direction from Acquilni is make the playoffs guess what - Jim better do his best to try and build a team that makes the playoffs. Wanna be upset at someone - direct that rage towards the owner.

The owner can give a GM a window to make the playoffs and they can still make reasonable moves. Myers at $7x7 would not be a reasonable move. Let's hope JB is reasonable. 

7 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Sorry, not buying the narrative. This is the same thing Benning's done from the start. Build depth/youth from below while simultaneously improving the NHL roster at any opportunity.

Evolution of the plan? Sure. Changing plans? Nope. 

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sorry, not buying the narrative. This is the same thing Benning's done from the start. Build depth/youth from below while simultaneously improving the NHL roster at any opportunity.

Evolution of the plan? Sure. Changing plans? Nope. 

:lol:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

If 2-3 more of our prospects that currently aren't on the team do what Pettersson did, I'll be on board.

As much of a beacon of hope Petterson is, he alone doesn't take us from a tire-fire to a legit contender.

I don't think anyone is saying we're a legit contender this season, but you have to learn to walk before you can run. This was never going to be a situation  where we were the worst team in the league, and then we shot up the standings and became a legit contender the next year. 

We still have a glaring hole on our blueline. A legit top pairing right handed Dman, and it's not a hole Myers is going to fill, but other than that I think we're in pretty damn good shape moving forward. I can see a scenario playing out where our top 6 and top 4 looks looks like this in a few years.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Podkolzin

Hughes ______

Woo    Juolevi

Sure, it requires some faith in guys like Hog and Woo, but for the first time I truly believe that the finish line is in sight. 

That being said, I don't want to see us blowing our load on someone like Myers, who's contract will likely come back to bite us in the ass right when we're putting the finishing touches on our core and making a legitimate push for the cup. Even if the young, top pairing right D we need isn't available right now, it's difficult to believe that there aren't any better stopgaps available than Myers on some ludicrous contract. If this goes through, I pray the contract doesn't looks as bad as what's being suggested. 

• Upvote 2