The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

5 hours ago, Odd. said:

At least I won't be hating on the contract, but my concern is just how much of an impact Myers will be and is he going to improve our defense.

I feel like even with the Myers signing, we've only marginally improved our defense. 

No one knows what impact he will have just yet, but if the contract is good then as long as he's not a Pouliot then he's an improvement. There wasn't a lot out there without giving up a ton through trade or adding a Karlsson that would've significantly improved the defense.

I like the idea of our top 4 being

Edler, Myers, Hughes and Tanev

With Markstrom and Demko in net we are much better

Last season our starting Defence was

Edler, Tanev, Del Zotto, Stecher, Gudbranson, Pouliot :(

Edited by Mackcanuck

5 hours ago, Silver Ghost said:

Edler's instincts are pretty average on the PP and his shot would be better if it hit the net lol. Edler is a serviceable PP option but if we can upgrade while reducing his minutes overall ut will hopefully help him stay healthy. 

I dont think people here appreciate just how much of an offensive toolbox Myers has should he be given more opportunity in Van to use it. His shot is better than Edler's and his offensive instincts probably are too. 

If Van signs Myers for 6 mil i certainly hope its not to be a Tanev replacement. Help reduce Tanevs minutes for sure, but Jordie Benn can probably do a serviceable job on the pk if he is signed. Let Myers help drive the offense. 

If Myers adds a significant offensive boost, then that's an added bonus IMO. The reason why I'm suggesting that he takes on some of Tanev's minutes is because they're both RD. Hughes should be driving the offense on the defense, but he's the LD and probably easing Edler's minutes there. So unless we are going to a 2 dman PP set up which we haven't done in a while, not sure if there's a lot of available minutes because at the very least, Edler would get 2nd unit minutes. Not saying Myers shouldn't be on the PP, but if he is and does well, that only makes his contract look even better.

5 hours ago, Odd. said:

I know, it's a food for thought kind of opinion, and I'm trying as hard as I can to not sound like it's something factual and that it's not like he wont improve. We won't know until we see him play. 

I'm just trying to argue that many think he's going bolster our defense and I don't exactly see that. Also, I did not suggest Myers was a bad defenseman, not at all. He's decent. hough it's a positive rather than a negative. The contract is fair, and so I'll live. 

I doubt Myers would have been that much of a difference maker though.

Odd,

Myers is a very serviceable top 4 rhd with a large frame.  Something we currently lack completely.  

As of this minute, we have Tanec, Stecher and Woo on the right side.  

Schenn is been rumored to go elsewhere and can this team survive next year without a top 4 rhd addition?

Myers can either play until he is 35 or retire.  Same for Gardiner.  Both have imperfections and need d partners that can cover off their weak areas.   That's normal.  

The team can handle a 6 to 6.5 per year deal with 5 to 6 years.  Adding a legit top 4 d man along with Hughes would give Vancouver 4 actual top 4 d men.  Radical.  

It's either sign one or two, draft them, trade for them or live without.  

You can have 2 of the following 3 things, cheap, good or fast.  

If it's good and cheap it wont be fast.  Non top 3 draft picks.  

If it's good and fast it wont be cheap.  Trades.  Trades cost the most in terms of assets.  We could trade for a top d man, pay up.  Oh and have a bigger cap hit on top of it.  

If it's fast and cheap, its won't be good.  Free agents.  Now the issue is need over want.  We desperately need a top 4 RHD.  We haven't produced one thru the draft since Bieksa and Tanev (undrafted FA).  Woo is 1 to 2 years away at best.  

So the club is going to head on down to the Walmart and compare off the shelf RHD's and they are never on sale, even at Walmart.  

This doesn't stop the club from still pursuing the other 3 options, but those dont come on demand.  

So be prepared for either Myers and or Gardiner.  We have no choice and it will be an improvement over Tanev Guddy Stecher Biega and then Schenn.  Oh and Poops alot played the right side too.  

• Upvote 1

If this is true and it is 5X6M it is a lot better than I had hoped. 

Fair to set the cap at Edler's contract and say he is our number one, you are not getting more.

Even if he doesn't work out that well it is not a big overpayment and if we can dump Loui not going to interfere with anything moving forward.  Frankly, I would rather have Myers at $6M than Guddy at $4.5M.

I hope he comes in and is the perfect partner for Quinn and we have a pairing set for the next five years.  

Still would like to see Tanev moved but I think Tanev and Sutter seem more like in season deals, they need a couple months healthy to show clubs they still play hockey.