The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Jim Benning

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Jim Benning  

460 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for or against the Managment of the Canucks team under Jim Benning?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/2019 at 10:51 AM

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Clearly its time to fire Jim Benning.

His drafting has been 5 out of 10 with of course the home runs  of EP and BB  ....

Other than that Dim Benning has been a disaster for our club.

Time to move one.  Who will be the next GM of the Canucks ?  Will it be next Dec ?

Your sarcasm is awesome. 

37 minutes ago, reyezone said:

Isn't it interesting that whilst the negativity is devastatingly loud on these forums, the majority of us support Benning.

This microcosm sums up a lot of the problem with human behavior/culture and the www..

Very interesting indeed!  

It's why some issues that I find ridiculous may seem like they get a lot of traction when in fact it's just a vocal minority that is causing it.  

Man. The Benning defenders are hopeless. They actually truly thinking pissing away our future for middling players was the right move. Wow. Just wow. 

Ferraro said it best in that video. Dim Jim doesn’t even know what this team is and should be. He is like a buyer rebuilder which is just baffling because that direction is inherently flawed. Shocked how people can agree with this direction. Sad sad times if this is what our fan base has become.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3
  • Upvote 1

attack of the killer tomatoes coolidge after midnite GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

12 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Man. The Benning defenders are hopeless. They actually truly thinking pissing away our future for middling players was the right move. Wow. Just wow. 

Ferraro said it best in that video. Dim Jim doesn’t even know what this team is and should be. He is like a buyer rebuilder which is just baffling because that direction is inherently flawed. Shocked how people can agree with this direction. Sad sad times if this is what our fan base has become.

You're like a ray of sunshine!

4 hours ago, Josepho said:

I don't think it's delusional to be highly skeptical of his asset and salary cap management at all and it's hard to take comments like this seriously when you're just insulting anyone who disagrees with you.

Mirror mirror on the wall....

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Josepho said:

This is a discussion board and I'm more than willing to hear everything you have to say about what I've said.

I understand that these players have an alleged purpose -- they simply aren't very good at fulfilling these purposes. If a plumber was hired to unclog your sink and all he did was loosen the piping, do you think you're going to be happy with him or the person who brought in the plumber?

Erik Gudbranson was an abomination of a hockey player who did absolutely nothing to contribute to the teams' success, the fact that he was physical was clearly a bad thing to prioritize and this falls on Benning. As I'm about to show below, the entire team spent more time in the offensive zone and scoring when 44 wasn't on the ice.

image.thumb.png.67057dcc48d9deb5d126255826ac272d.png

image.thumb.png.9fb177bb4d8c3b3b170bb4f6cdbe916d.png

image.thumb.png.d6618a236580f074c5e951aba110272c.png

Why would physicality matter if you're performing this badly and dragging your teammates down?

Furthermore, there's plenty of comparable players with cheaper salaries as well as players in our own farm system and on waivers who could fulfill the roles of the players Benning gave these hefty contracts to. I'll list a few examples.

Jay "One 5v5 Goal All of Last Season" Beagle 

Kyle Brodziak (Signed cheap and short deal in Edmonton)

Matt Stajan (Went to Europe)

Brendan Gaunce (Consistently pushed play to the other end of the rink despite starting an obnoxious amount of time in his own zone, also is young and physical)

Brad Richardson (Signed in Arizona despite being a very efficient 3rd liner, even has the "cup winner" pedigree if you're into that)

Derek Ryan (Signed in Calgary for a comparable term and salary, put up nearly 40 points)

Tim "Zero Goals against 29 Different Teams" Schaller

Zack MacEwen (Interesting skilled farm option, played well in his limited sample size in Vancouver)

Darren Archibald (Produced at a 1/3 p/g pace in 2017-2018 despite being littered with defensive zone starts, also brought physicality to the table)

Jack Skille (Was a good enough energy depth player here)

Loui Eriksson

Adam Gaudette (Really shouldn't be anyone else -- guy deserved way more icetime than he was given)

Thomas Vanek (Signed cheap and short deal with the Red Wings in the summer of 2016)

Eric Staal (Signed short deal with Wild, produced more than Eriksson)

Erik Gudbranson

Virtually everyone is better at hockey than Gudbranson, but Biega in particular has been wildly underrated and also brings the same element of physicality to the backend.

JT Miller, once again, is an overpayment because it was a contract Tampa was forced to get rid of and there are tons of comparable trades around the league suggesting that this simply wasn't the market value for the player. It is also wildly risky for a team coming off a bottom 10 finish to give up a 1st in the future -- if this was, say, guaranteed the 20th overall pick, this transaction would be far more forgivable.

Erik Haula was just traded for a middling prospect in Nicolas Roy. Is he as good as Miller? No, but he went for 5% of the price that Miller did.

Jacob Trouba was just traded for a 20th overall pick. He is a significantly more valuable asset and player than JT Miller. 

Colin Miller is another player who plays a more important position than JT and he went for a 2nd and 5th multiple years into the future.

And the people who constantly praise Benning's drafting in particular should be upset with this deal because it takes away a chance for him to make one of these picks.

I don't think anyone will unconditionally play here. But players would absolutely rather play here than in our farm system or in Europe, where I'm sure there are plenty of decent options to cheaply acquire for the team. 

Again, the actual best teams in the league do not distribute their salaries like this. I'll list some teams and how their bottom 6 is laid out.

Tampa Bay: $4.5M to pay for Killorn, a player who got 40 points last season (aka a top 6er who is forced to play a smaller role in a stacked lineup). The rest of the players are home-grown and on deals with an AAV of less than $1M. Their money is invested into their actual star players, something we'll soon have to do with Pettersson and Boeser.

San Jose: $1.5 to pay Marcus Sorenson. The rest of the players are less than $1M.

St. Louis: $5M to pay Tyler Bozak, a player who scored at over a 0.5 P/G pace, another top 6 player forced to play down in a stacked lineup. Another $5.75M to pay Alex Steen, who is paid 2M or so too much, but still outproduces his role on the team significantly. The rest of their players are less than $1M.

Washington: Just over $6M to pay Hagelin and Eller, who have established themselves as some of the best 3rd liners in the league. The rest of their players are less than $1M.

Pittsburgh: $5.3M for Hornqvist, who's actually scoring at a 2nd line pace, and $4.1M for Bjugstad. The rest of their players are less than $1M.

Pettersson and Hughes have their entry level deals expiring soon and Boeser's already has -- how do you expect to keep our truly talented players if we keep on glutting the team with pricey 3rd/4th liners?

I've actually explained myself here; maybe this time your response can be a little more extensive than "if you don't agree with my assessment of this player then you're stupid".

Are you in for or against JB's drafting....?

And the trade for Miller suggests Benning are trying to give EP and Boeser a good player to play with, no?

All the expensive third and forth liners you mentioned, are they holding back Bennings ability to pay EP, Boeser or QH?  By the time EP and QH's next contracts are to be signed, a mix of Sutter, Baertschi, Pearson, Spooner, Leivo, Schaller, Hutton, Edler, Tanev and god knows who else will be off the books, with Rousell and Beagle the year after... Of these Beartschi and Pearson does score at decent second line pace...

Hopefully a few of the young players from the system will be pushing for a starting slot at that time....

So which expensive 3rd and 4th lines are going to hold Benning back from signing them?

Luongos 3 mill cap penalty was a spanner in the wheel, and could be an issue, but this was hardly the fault of Benning...

Its Benning faultless...far from it. But at least Aquilinis seems to understand where the team is heading. And thankfully they are in charge. If nothing has improved in 2 years time I can see a change, but for now I see no reason to change anything.

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Are you in for or against JB's drafting....?

It's fine, but drafting is mostly done by the scouting team and if you watch any of these videos you'll see what I'm talking about. I also don't think drafting good players with top 10 picks is enough to overcome his other deficiencies at all -- The 2010s Oilers, 2000s Blue Jackets, 2000s Thrashers and 1990s Islanders also drafted good players with high picks but I don't think anyone would argue that those teams were awfully managed.

These three videos show that Benning is primarily deferring to the scouting team and he didn't even know where Tryamkin was playing in his draft year -- which for the record I don't actually think is a problem for a GM, it's just reiterating my previous statement. However I will absolutely give him credit for shaking up the scouting team by promoting Judd Brackett, since a big part of managing a team is surrounding yourself with intelligent people.

And the trade for Miller suggests Benning are trying to give EP and Boeser a good player to play with, no.

Yes. I like JT Miller as a hockey player and it wouldn't surprise me to see him put up 60+ points on a line with Pettersson and Boeser, it's just that potentially trading an unprotected first is very risky. And again, Tampa was in a cap crunch and everything indicates that Benning just unhesitantly paid the price that Brisebois requested without negotiating it further.

All the expensive third and forth liners you mentioned, are they holding back Bennings ability to pay EP, Boeser or QH?  By the time EP and QH's next contracts are to be signed, a mix of Sutter, Baertschi, Pearson, Spooner, Leivo, Schaller, Hutton, Edler, Tanev and god knows who else will be off the books, with Rousell and Beagle the year after... Of these Beartschi and Pearson does score at decent second line pace...

Hopefully a few of the young players from the system will be pushing for a starting slot at that time....

So which expensive 3rd and 4th lines are going to hold Benning back from signing them?

No, but they're interfering with our ability to do other things with the salary cap -- cap space matters at all times. We could've been the team being paid a 1st round pick to take on Marleau's contract from Toronto instead of Carolina -- perhaps we could've even flipped that 1st round pick to Tampa for Miller instead of our own, since Toronto's pick will most likely be lower than ours. Even this year, Benning is going to be unable to sign Nyquist, Myers and Boeser because of all these bad contracts littering the team. Two of those contracts are more than likely going to suck so I'm relieved, but it shows that Benning has screwed himself over with how he's managed the salary cap.

It's also discouraging since I doubt Benning is going to just abruptly stop signing players to these inflated deals. History tends to repeat itself and there's nothing indicating that he's going to stop paying these players. And if he's not doing his due diligence already by trying to get his players on fairer deals -- then I really don't see any argument for this man being fit to run an NHL team. It also shows an inability to pro-scout since basically all the players I said have performed better than the bottom sixers we've acquired.

If he stops signing these bad contracts, I'll be far more forgiving of Benning -- but we've already missed a chance to really load the roster with talent while Pettersson/Boeser/Hughes are still on their ELC's and god knows what could happen in the future.

Luongos 3 mill cap penalty was a spanner in the wheel, and could be an issue, but this was hardly the fault of Benning...

Its Benning faultless...far from it. But at least Aquilinis seems to understand where the team is heading. And thankfully they are in charge. If nothing has improved in 2 years time I can see a change, but for now I see no reason to change anything.

I am not blaming Benning at all for the stupid Luongo recapture penalty.

I also doubt anything will improve significantly in the next two years due to Benning's inability to pro-scout players (especially defenceman) and manage the salary cap.

Edited by Josepho
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

A part of me does want to bring in a guy like Mike Gillis to oversee the signings. 

Keep Jim Benning and instead of bringing in a president, bring in a guy that’s allowed to oversee signings and or trades. 

On 6/25/2019 at 9:33 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Great results....

2015–16 82 31 38 13 75 191 243 6th, Pacific Did not qualify
2016–17 82 30 43 9 69 182 243 7th, Pacific Did not qualify
2017–18 82 31 40 11 73 218 264 7th, Pacific Did not qualify
2018–19 82 35 36 11 81 225 254 5th, Pacific Did not qualify

Gee , and to think all we got was a brand new core 

• Upvote 3

From the noise on the boards I'd have thought 50:50.

But it's the same handful of guys posting the same thing in different words 5 times every ten minutes that create the noise

I am actually amazed it is 10: 1

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, reyezone said:

Isn't it interesting that whilst the negativity is devastatingly loud on these forums, the majority of us support Benning.

This microcosm sums up a lot of the problem with human behavior/culture and the www..

Totally agree. The poll turned out to be a very interesting social (media) experiment with a lesson that can be applied to life. The loudest voices get heard but are not truly representative of the views of a population.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Totally agree. The poll turned out to be a very interesting social (media) experiment with a lesson that can be applied to life. The loudest voices get heard but are not truly representative of the views of a population.

I read it more as the sheep in our society can get so easily manipulated by the mainstream media.......

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I read it more as the sheep in our society can get so easily manipulated by the mainstream media.......

Or the majority of people don't see the point in presenting logical arguments to people who are close minded and unreasonable.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1