The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Jim Benning

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Jim Benning  

460 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for or against the Managment of the Canucks team under Jim Benning?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/2019 at 10:51 AM

I've been critical of this regime so I voted against, but honestly I think it really stems down from ownership. I don't pin my frustration all on Jim.

Its seemed like the goal has been all over the place. Early on they thought they could turn things around quickly, & after 2015 they were cutting corners trying to make the playoffs. Then 2 years ago after we had totally bottomed out they gave into the rebuild, now we are back going for it again.

This whole time I've felt we needed to manage our assets as perfectly as a possible, and build this thing slowly so we have the personnel and/or assets to one day be a true top cup contender. 

I've been up & down with this regime. Early on I didn't like some moves, then through the 'rebuild' part I thought they were doing really well, now I'm starting to doubt them again. 

As I said, voted against, Its the minority but I won't pretend I've had a different opinion.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Bare cupboard, too many NTC/NMC handed out by previous management.  Many unwilling to waive such clauses cough, Edler, cough.

Drafting well.  Few decent trades, few bad trades.  Cuts bait pretty quickly but seems to give players a chance to improve. 

Probably honest to a fault.  

Honestly that's not bad considering this has been his first gig as a GM and handed a aging handicap off the get go so he's learning which people aren't prepared to want to believe it but after LE is gone that's the last bad contract so see how it goes, but he's done ok.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

First.  Season wins and loses are what count. This is professional hockey and winning games  is the goal.

Second - Always good plan to blame the boss before you. Happens in every business i have seen.

Third - last years few extra wins largely game from our better than average goaltending we got.

Fruition -  acquiring / planting  many good healthy young  plants ( drafts  with lots of extra  picks )  , nourishing with water and nutrients. ( development on a quality AHL team  ) .  patience while the plant grows ( icing a young club with good coaches  ) .... then enjoying the spoils after the fruit is ripe ( making our playoff run lead by our young core ) 

First you want results 

Second you argue you want wins 

third you argue enjoying the spoils when the fruit is rip

how do you get results

1st you pick the right players how do you do that fail at the results. did that already you showed it to us.

2 you contradict yourself you what to enjoy the spoils and win at the same time. Gillies wanted to win and gave up the spoils as any GM would when the teams window is open.

JB had no spoils to ripen till we failed and got to acquire and plant the healthy seeds.

So you think there is a GM out there that could have come In here and won and got top draft picks, what world are  you living in cause if it exists I will join you,

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I disagree I think

First, It will show that the majority support JB and the way this team is being managed

and Second well that's for me to know and write about in a few days when we have the results of the poll where there is a hypotheses there comes the evidence and soon a conclusion.

Sorry, I was just being sarcastic.....hope the thread doesn’t turn ugly lol

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

First.  Season wins and loses are what count. This is professional hockey and winning games  is the goal.

Second - Always good plan to blame the boss before you. Happens in every business i have seen.

Third - last years few extra wins largely game from our better than average goaltending we got.

Fruition -  acquiring / planting  many good healthy young  plants ( drafts  with lots of extra  picks )  , nourishing with water and nutrients. ( development on a quality AHL team  ) .  patience while the plant grows ( icing a young club with good coaches  ) .... then enjoying the spoils after the fruit is ripe ( making our playoff run lead by our young core ) 

I got a question for you Hughs Boeser and Pettersson should these guys be in the AHL that's old school of thinking.

So some knowledge to you old school thinkers what JB did on day 2 draft day he has to do just like what he is trying to do on July 1st he has to acquire players to surround his future stars cause his Future stars are also the stars of to day. It is the biggest change in the new NHL and thankfully so with these guys making and contributing to the team as they do, rebuilds don't have to take 10 years however the complication becomes that you have to fill the holes around them or you lose these years of competitive years from them. I hate to use this example again but just look at EDM and maybe Buffalo might get there head around it this season. 

Edited by Arrow 1983

Copy and pasted from another thread but applies here as well. Totally against this regime. It’s has been ran really really bad for the past 5 years and the miller overpayment doesn’t do anything to alleviate my fears. This team isn’t winning jack until he is gone. 

I don’t see how people can defend him. Going into our 6th season. We made the playoffs once and a grand total of 0 of his trades will have any bearing on our 6th season and whether or not we make the playoffs or not.

clendenning, Bonino, Sbisa, Prust, Leipsic, Vey, Dowd, Poulliot, Baertschi, gudbranson, Granlund , Dorsett, motte, etc will have basically no role in our success of the 6th season. So Benning has been basically spinning his wheels and chasing his tail like a dog for 5 years. How anyone can defend trading high 2nd rnd picks and 3rd rnd picks and much younger prospects for that stuff is beyond me. I know for sure that a few of those picks, or in the very least Mcaan, would contribute to our 6th season and beyond.

Just to put things into perspective. We basically traded...

Mcaan, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd,2nd, 3rd, and a conditional 1st with not much of condition for Pearson, Vey, Dorsett, Baertschi, and Miller.  Sorry, but that’s terrible asset management. If baerschit goes on LTI like he might, even worse.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 6

Happy to see the results thus far. Still happy with Benningtons leadership of this franchise. I'm still not thrilled about trade out first round pick before we know the team is going to be better, but I trust the organization knows enough to safely assume we will. Just don't sign Myers to a 7 and 7

15 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Copy and pasted from another thread but applies here as well. Totally against this regime. It’s has been ran really really bad for the past 5 years and the miller overpayment doesn’t do anything to alleviate my fears. This team isn’t winning jack until he is gone. 

I don’t see how people can defend him. Going into our 6th season. We made the playoffs once and a grand total of 0 of his trades will have any bearing on our 6th season and whether or not we make the playoffs or not.

clendenning, Bonino, Sbisa, Prust, Leipsic, Vey, Dowd, Poulliot, Baertschi, gudbranson, Granlund , Dorsett, motte, etc will have basically no role in our success of the 6th season. So Benning has been basically spinning his wheels and chasing his tail like a dog for 5 years. How anyone can defend trading high 2nd rnd picks and 3rd rnd picks and much younger prospects for that stuff is beyond me. I know for sure that a few of those picks, or in the very least Mcaan, would contribute to our 6th season and beyond.

Just to put things into perspective. We basically traded...

Mcaan, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd,2nd, 3rd, and a conditional 1st with not much of condition for Pearson, Vey, Dorsett, Baertschi, and Miller.  Sorry, but that’s terrible asset management. If baerschit goes on LTI like he might, even worse.

What do you think McCann is going to become 

If Baertschi is injured long term JB is suppose to know this at the time of the trade

what do you think you get when you trade a 2nd or 3rd draft pick a prospect, What do you think you draft when you pick a 2nd or 3rd pick a prospect. They can either hit or miss. I haven't done the research as to who got picked at those spots but I'm sure if one of them was a star in this league a guy like you would have already pointed it out. Oh but I have looked there all not in this league so your point is mute. I will give you a list of them coming in the next few days in a new post.

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

What do you think McCann is going to become 

If Baertschi is injured long term JB is suppose to know this at the time of the trade

what do you think you get when you trade a 2nd or 3rd draft pick a prospect, What do you think you draft when you pick a 2nd or 3rd pick a prospect. They can either hit or miss. I haven't done the research as to who got picked at those spots but I'm sure if one of them was a star in this league a guy like you would have already pointed it out. Oh but I have looked there all not in this league so your point is mute. I will give you a list of them coming in the next few days in a new post.

Lol how is my point mute? All the people we traded picks for contributed nothing to our organization.

There is no way of telling how those picks would turn out but based on the law of averages, at least one or two would contribute vs the ZERO the trade pieces contributed.

You can’t look at what other teams drafted with those picks because the Canucks would have taken different players but I am sure there are some decent prospects from those picks. While none of the older players we traded for I would call decent.

Mcaan is already a top 6 player in Pittsburgh, he is fitting in quite well and he is much younger than Pearson so expect him to eclipse him soon. 

Edited by Tomatoes11
  • Wat 2

Benning's strength is scouting and picking good young prospects, but he took the shortcut and threw away draft picks for not-so-awesome young players wishing they could contribute.

His weakness is doing trade with another team. He absolutely got robbed by Tampa Bay for the JT-Miller trade knowing that the Lightning needs to dump some salaries. To those people who thinks JT Miller can play in the top 6, I seriously believe he is one Brandon-Sutter injury away from playing in the bottom 6 and got stuck there because Green likes it that way.

7 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Lol how is my point mute? All the people we traded picks for contributed nothing to our organization.

There is no way of telling how those picks would turn out but based on the law of averages, at least one or two would contribute vs the ZERO the trade pieces contributed.

You can’t look at what other teams drafted with those picks because the Canucks would have taken different players but I am sure there are some decent prospects from those picks. While none of the older players we traded for I would call decent.

Mcaan is already a top 6 player in Pittsburgh, he is fitting in quite well and he is much younger than Pearson so expect him to eclipse him soon. 

Linden vey or roland McKeown does it really matter, McKeown is a 23 year old AHLer

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Jim also picked up that second round draft  pick by getting rid of Jason garrison 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wow! You should be a GM, or a gardener?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

What better title could I come up with then "Jim Benning" when this Post is finally going to decide if the fan base on this forum is for or against Jim Benning.

you need to send a note to 1040 and ask them to make this a twitter question. My bet is the result on a twitter poll will be mostly negative toward Jim. I'd be very interested to see the comparison. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Derek dorsett for keegon Iverson. Wow Iverson is just lighting things up in the nhl nope not one game played

But of course Benning should have known Derek was going to get hurt

• Cheers 1