The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Luongo Retires

Rate this topic

23 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yet 90% of fans seem to be fine with Bennings direction. (Last I saw on the poll)

While our previous GM just stuck the team with $3 million for 3 years on the salary cap. 

I have always been 50/50 with Benning.  I still think he's a whipping boy for the Aquillinis and does what he says on trying to make the playoffs when the team really needs to rebuild properly.

On 6/27/2019 at 3:51 AM, IBatch said:

Hey I have that too, and did back when I was their age as well, no frigging way he can play the game if it’s serious.  MRIs state how bad it is, from mild-crippling, he’s probably played with it already for years and now has problems putting his skates on.    Who knows how bad it is, the point is if it’s bad no way can he play or should he be playing pro sports, the risks of it getting worse is extremely high.   

Have an aunt who had it so bad she was bedridden in the hospital for weeks.

Hey DDD Buddy!!

My discs are basically gone since I’ve had mine since 19. I still play semi competitive lacrosse, soccer, and hockey. It’s all fun and games but still grueling on the body. With the appropriate care, physical exercise, and core strengthening, anything is possible. 

I’m lucky enough to have avoided surgery thus far thanks to good doctors. 

My my point is that Callahan probably could’ve played through his contract with all of the docs they had available to get him through it. They probably saw an opportunity that appealed to both sides (his play would’ve dropped, that’s for sure). 

21 hours ago, IBatch said:

Bobs the man.  Pretty much says it all in a nutshell.  Bettman was right to say at the time it may be legal but it isn’t in the spirit of the CBA...of course Luongo wasn’t going to play 22 years in the NHL, no goalie does that.   MG must have thought he was pretty cute at the time ... same with Hossa.   One gets out on a technicality the other does not.  Someone has to pay and you better believe it will be us no matter what.   

I can say watching the fans boo and boo and boo was completely overboard at the draft.  I know it’s a thing that a lot of fans do around the league... but why?   Except for a select few rich owners and big market teams the cap helps everyone else.  When it was installed almost every fan was on the owners and NHLs side because salaries were getting completely out of control.  Have we forgotten already?  It’s starting again if anyone hasn’t noticed.

No hockey for a year was unbelievable, nobody ever thought that would occur especially the players,  but they were raping the owners so bad year after year what other choice did they have but to say enoughs enough and FU.  Why should they be making 75% of the revenue?  They rolled back 20% to make it work remember...

Since then the league has continued to grow and has actually prospered through a world - wide crisis that rivalled the Great Depression in the US at the time.. so many people lost their jobs and their homes around the world,  not here in Canada thank god because our banking laws weren’t insane.  I bet the NHL might of had to fold at that time if players continued to take the majority and most owners just hemorrhaged money to support their pet project, while their actual business was taking big huge hits.  Instead they got 15% raises while the rest of us working joes took the hit in our RRSPs etc. 

Bettman got his cost certainty, the cap had a floor and a ceiling which artificially keeps a bit of free market going within it, but small market teams were protected and big market teams with infinite dollars could no longer try to buy cups the way the NYR tried for years (go back and look at those late 90’s early 2000’s teams...how the heck didn’t they have a dynasty??!) unsuccessfully...much like the MLB NYY still do to this day with good results though.

Yet for some reason fans use Bettman as a lightning rod for all their hate and dettestment over the past.

FACTUALLY he is a hero.   I know the players still begrudge losing and having a cap (they are pros and losing isn’t in their nature) you can see it in their body language often when they are around him.  But we aren’t players, we actually won and won big time. Because we can compete with any other team in the league now ... Vancouver is and never will have the deepest pockets or be the biggest market.   No we aren’t small market...but their are a half dozen or so teams ahead of us at least and now we can compete on an even playing field with each of them.

I bet after the draft and the fans continually (and embarrassing themselves at the same time) booing the crap out of Bettman, it will still be fresh in his mind, and he will be smiling inside with the idea of a phone call from Benning for a free pass on his predecessor’s sins on the cap.   NO WAY are we getting out of it.   Just accept it for what it is.  And it was cap circumventing ... we should pay the price, thank MG for the memories and the money for either Erhoff or Hamhuis and move on. 

Simply an excellent recap iBatch of some NHL history. Any intelligent NHL player who resents Bettman should review his performance. Yes, he has served his bosses well but also the players as the NHL revenue has doubled in 10 years. By all indicators the renewed American media deals (2021-22) will/could drop +/- $18 mil into each NHL club. In the Canuck case that would be a real bonus as the young core re-upped on new contracts. Franchise cost from $500 mil for Vegas to Seattle at $650 mil!!! Media outlets in North America are desperate for content and sports rises above all others. What the NBA, MLB and the NFL garner makes the NHL take look paltry. If a bidding war starts on NHL broadcast my estimate of $18 mil per club could be low.   

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, IBatch said:

FACTUALLY he is a hero. 

I bet after the draft and the fans continually (and embarrassing themselves at the same time) booing the crap out of Bettman, it will still be fresh in his mind, and he will be smiling inside with the idea of a phone call from Benning for a free pass on his predecessor’s sins on the cap.   NO WAY are we getting out of it.   Just accept it for what it is.  And it was cap circumventing ... we should pay the price, thank MG for the memories and the money for either Erhoff or Hamhuis and move on. 

you're being quite generous there, and very skewed to the business side of hockey imo.

Why did people boo?

How about losing a year of hockey when we were a contender?

How about snubbing fans of an olympic experience?

Supporting teams like Arizona and Carolina when some days they probably had more staff than fans in the rink, and no Canadian expansion allowed.

How about revisionist punishment?

Or creating a lotto system where we're practically guaranteed to lose out?

Or the way league discipline benefits certain teams over others. 

Bettman knows hockey is like crack to many people and he can abuse the Canadian fan base in particular and we let him get away with it. There would be hockey without Bettman. The inference that he saved the league is a little laughable, sorry. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, apollo said:

Lol, as for the cup he's 2011 cup champ in my books anyways but that's thanks to the Sedins Burr Kes Edler Hansen and company. 

14 hours ago, apollo said:

Did you know that marian hossa signed the exact same deal except he had 4 years of 1 million at cap... None of which he played? 

This NHL is a joke. They aren't treating us fairly. 

The league and its referees chose the outcome of that series. The 2011 Canucks were miles better than any team that year, especially the bruins 

https://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2011/6/17/2228768/how-the-bruins-won-and-how-the-canucks-lost

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you're being quite generous there, and very skewed to the business side of hockey imo.

Why did people boo?

Supporting teams like Arizona and Carolina when some days they probably had more staff than fans in the rink, and no Canadian expansion allowed.

Bettman knows hockey is like crack to many people and he can abuse the Canadian fan base in particular and we let him get away with it. There would be hockey without Bettman. The inference that he saved the league is a little laughable, sorry. 

I would suggest that the CAP system saved the NHL and in particular Canadian clubs faced with an exchange rate of 1.34 to the USD$. Pointing to particular USA markets that struggle is low laying fruit. What those markets deliver is a NHL selling tool to major broadcasters. It is a big reason why they are adding Seattle. The proof is in the current $200 mil/year which in all likely hood increases to $600 mil. That will more than compensate for weak clubs in the USA. 

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I would suggest that the CAP system saved the NHL and in particular Canadian clubs faced with an exchange rate of 1.34 to the USD$. Pointing to particular USA markets that struggle is low laying fruit. What those markets deliver is a NHL selling tool to major broadcasters. It is a big reason why they are adding Seattle. The proof is in the current $200 mil/year which in all likely hood increases to $600 mil. That will more than compensate for weak clubs in the USA. 

but the cap system also creates some market unfairness. No-tax US states have a huge advantage over all other teams. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Why did people boo?

Or revenue sharing that screws every team In Canada Gary is a piece of $&!#

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but the cap system also creates some market unfairness. No-tax US states have a huge advantage over all other teams. 

True. ie Florida. On the reverse side you can pick almost any Canadian province and also the Cali teams. I don't know how you get away from that. At least the Cap protects against ubber rich franchises and revenue sharing suppliments gate receipts.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

True. ie Florida. On the reverse side you can pick almost any Canadian province and also the Cali teams. I don't know how you get away from that. At least the Cap protects against ubber rich franchises and revenue sharing suppliments gate receipts.

you'd have to have a scheme to "normalize" the cap in terms of taxes... it would be hard to do and have a lot of in-fighting i'm sure. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you'd have to have a scheme to "normalize" the cap in terms of taxes... it would be hard to do and have a lot of in-fighting i'm sure. 

Yes...  so teams like Tampa and Florida can have a higher cap level because the players pay less tax therefore will sign for less.  Is this advantage fair to other teams in the NHL.  Screw you Bettman and your retroactive penalty on Luongos contract.  I hope that Francesco raises hell.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Sounds to me like no grandfather clause was included, where previous deals don't count toward the new CBA.

I doubt such a thing would hold up in court where you could retroactively apply a penalty that didn’t exist then.  And I have legal expertise on the subject.  I watched all the episodes of Perry Mason multiple times.:P

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I doubt such a thing would hold up in court where you could retroactively apply a penalty that didn’t exist then.  And I have legal expertise on the subject.  I watched all the episodes of Perry Mason multiple times.:P

Unfortunately I only have a Murder She Wrote education. 

Still don't get it though.

Edited by komodo0921
  • Cheers 2