The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Oscar Fantenberg

I don’t want to pretend he will suddenly blossom into a top 4 guy for us at 27 years old, but he sure looks like a solid depth guy and someone who can play the 3rd pairing consistently if we have injuries.

Just excited to have new faces on the blue line!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/7/2019 at 1:52 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

He has a crazy hits average per game. Which would be effective against a big body team. But he would have to be developed which puts him a couple years away. Plus I thought Jake was going to be a hitter. But maybe his shoulder took a lot of abuse already. 

Isn't Jake the team leader in hits over the last three years?

5 hours ago, stawns said:

Isn't Jake the team leader in hits over the last three years?

Tyler Motte was our leader last year.  Why you gotta make me do math?  :) 

On 8/13/2019 at 3:41 AM, N4ZZY said:

hockey players are so humble and down to earth. one of my favorite athletes. they're very different from say, NBA players. 

i remember when we had the Grizz here, and star players just treated the media here like garbage. they were rude, and unpleasant to deal with. 

You clearly haven’t met most chl players.    Duchebaggery isn’t foreign to hockey players at all my friend. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Big Country and Shareef were class acts.

Miss those two players. Big Country was decent, but Shareef was such a good player for us, even when we were losing a ton. 

I miss the Grizzlies. 

• Cheers 2

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Biega was a fan favorite and for good reason but OF look like a very solid # 6

I really liked Biega, and knew nothing about Fantenberg so to me it was a lateral move at best... if not a potential downgrade.

But yeah - OF looks solid.

The thing is, I feel we need more than just "solid" players. We need guys who really bring a skillset that allows Green to deploy them accordingly.

Examples:

Edler: Brings a higher-than-average level of everything.

Hughes: Obviously drives our play from the blueline. Extremely dynamic.

Tanev: Supreme shutdown guy.

Then we have guys like Benn and Myers - who aren't bad players but I personally haven't seen what I've wanted to see from them. Both should be putting up more points imo to become more rounded assets. Myers really should play bigger than he does - but we all knew that was the way he played when he was signed.

Stecher: While he is a smart player, he doesn't have high end skill nor does he bring much physicality.

This is why I would like to bring in Tryamkin. He simply scares guys and hurts them out there, and should be able to hold his own otherwise. I would like to see us have 1 more true scoring guy other than Hughes once Edler leaves. Edler is decent in the meantime I suppose. When he's playing.

To me, a good roster is all about having role players on the team. I believe it contributes to a team identity, and gives the coach clear-cut tools to work with.

But yeah... Fantenberg... :)