The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Playoff Odds

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well, I can't open the link at work, but predicting the Canucks at #10 is laughable. How did they come up with these rankings? Just looked at last year? lol

Canucks at #10 is actually pretty realistic, they are not quite there yet and are relying heavily on teenagers and 20 year olds to carry this team. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's a good thing this game is played on ice instead of on paper, otherwise we'd never win.  

The only thing that matters is if our players believe we can win.  If Benning and Green can get our players to buy into that, they have a decent chance of actually doing it.  Believing that one can win is a necessary first step to actually doing it.  Go Canucks Go!

Edited by nux_win

47 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well, I can't open the link at work, but predicting the Canucks at #10 is laughable. How did they come up with these rankings? Just looked at last year? lol

People assuming this team is a playoff team is laughable.  Sure if everything pans out the way we want, maybe but there are a lot of what ifs.

• Wat 3

2 minutes ago, JamesB said:

The odds really fall into echelons.

The bottom echelon is Anaheim, LA, Columbus, Detroit, and Ottawa. The fact that Columbus is in that group shows that the oddsmakers are not just on last year's standings but are thinking about changes that have occurred. I think of this as the F echelon.

The Canucks are in the next echelon up from the bottom, tied at 60-1 odds with Minnesota, Montreal, Buffalo, and Edmonton. I think of this as the D echelon.

The next echelon up includes the Islanders, Carolina, the Rangers, Arizona, New Jersey, Philly, and Chicago, all at either 20-1 or 30-1. This is the C echelon.

I won't mention the higher - A and B - echelons.

The question is, are the Canucks legitimately in the C echelon instead of the D echelon? I bet that almost every fan of every team in the D echelon thinks that their team is improving -- young guys are getting better and old guys aren't getting any worse, prospects will have breakout years, off-season acquisitions will improve the team, etc. -- pretty much exactly what the general view on CDC of the Canucks is. And they all think their team should be higher up in the odds.

If these odds are accurate assessments of relative quality, the Canucks would end the season somewhere between 22nd and 26th in the league standings. That is where the Vegas oddsmakers see them. That might be influenced by betting propensities -- there are more big gamblers who like to bet on the Leafs or Rangers than on the Canucks, other things equal. Maybe an objective assessment not influenced by better propensities would have the Canucks in the low end of the C echelon. That is where I would put them.  But to make the playoffs the Canucks would have to get to top of the C echelon, passing teams like the Islanders and Rangers. So I think making the playoffs is probably still significantly less than 50-50 and I think that will be reflected in various betting lines.

And it does not seem to me like 60-1 to win the Cup is unreasonable.

Sorry I don't follow, why would the Canucks need to pass teams like the Islanders or Rangers to make the playoffs? You do realize they are in different conferences and are not competing with each other for playoff spots?

Top 3 of the Pacific Division or Top 8 of the Western Conference is all that matters in terms of a playoff spot for the Canucks. 

Maybe you are just talking about Cup winning odds and not the odds of getting to the playoffs? 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'd give us 50/50 odds to make the show as of now. I have us right on the edge of the playoffs.

Id say more like 33% chance to make it as there are at least 5-6 other teams in the same range as us completing for the last 2 wildcard spots. 

Vegas had the odds of St. Louis winning the Stanley Cup at 250-1 in January. A St. Louis fan bet $400 and won $100,000.00.............60 to 1 for the Canucks to win the 2020 Cup almost seems like a sure thing in comparison. :towel:

Berry placed the bet on the Blues to win the Stanley Cup during a work trip to Las Vegas back in January. At the time, the team ranked last in the NHL, and theirodds of winning the Cup were listed at 250-1.

Edited by Rick Blight

46 minutes ago, mpt said:

People assuming this team is a playoff team is laughable.  Sure if everything pans out the way we want, maybe but there are a lot of what ifs.

touche ;)

The Canucks were in a playoff position in Janaury, but then the D especially suffered injuries, and the youth couldn't carry them. Pettersson was figured out a bit and he wasn't producing as much down the stretch. They never had good enough depth either. I think they'll be better this year with the upgrades on D. Pettersson will prepare himself for the little time and space he gets now. Boeser will finally (hopefully) be healthy. Add in Miller and Hughes. They should be entertaining and competitive. Luckily for the Canucks, other teams in their division lost key players and could struggle.  

2 hours ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nhl/odds/futures/

As of the first week in July/2019 most odds makers have the Canucks finishing as one of the bottom 10 teams in the league.

There is always a chance the "Pesky Canucks" can prove the odds makers wrong I think they finish in the top 16 NHL teams 

if they are a better team then last season

and i think they are

if they are a healthier team then last season

and it is hard to imagine they can sustain the same injury count

then really, why would they end up in a similar playoff position as last year

we were 9th worst team (or 22nd best)

i cannot see that being repeated

some other teams will improve

some will fall off a bit

i think the nucks will slot somewhere between 14 and 18th best team.. playoff cusp team

i think with their additions and improvement from within (young prospects maturing)

give them a realistic playoff shot this season

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

touche ;)

The Canucks were in a playoff position in Janaury, but then the D especially suffered injuries, and the youth couldn't carry them. Pettersson was figured out a bit and he wasn't producing as much down the stretch. They never had good enough depth either. I think they'll be better this year with the upgrades on D. Pettersson will prepare himself for the little time and space he gets now. Boeser will finally (hopefully) be healthy. Add in Miller and Hughes. They should be entertaining and competitive. Luckily for the Canucks, other teams in their division lost key players and could struggle.  

I agree, but on the flip side, 

What if:

Boeser isn’t his old self

Pettersson has a sophomore slump

Markstrom can’t repeat his breakout season

Miller doesn’t find chemistry

Hughes struggles in a top 6 role

Tanev and Edler go down with injuries

Then this year will be a bottom feeder.

We all hope everything goes well and everyone performs as best they can but likely some of these what ifs do happen.

All I can say is I’m excited for next year and getting rid of Eriksson and Sutter would push me over the top.  Especially if they can add some muscle

59 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

They'll squeak into the playoffs, as long as they stay moderately healthy during the season. I predict that it will depend the most on how much San Jose falls off the map this year.

With Winnipeg falling as well. I think Calgary slides in the standings too, having lost four straight to Colorado in five games.

That embarrasment will weigh on their minds as teams know what Gaudreau and Monahan are made of...feathers.

• Cheers 2