The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Playoff Odds

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Vegas had the odds of St. Louis winning the Stanley Cup at 250-1 in January. A St. Louis fan bet $400 and won $100,000.00.............60 to 1 for the Canucks to win the 2020 Cup almost seems like a syre thing in comparison. :towel:

Berry placed the bet on the Blues to win the Stanley Cup during a work trip to Las Vegas back in January. At the time, the team ranked last in the NHL, and theirodds of winning the Cup were listed at 250-1.

nvm

Edited by RRypien37

Naturally the playoff teams aren't necessarily the top 16 in the league, we're only concerned with the West. If we fall into the wildcard race, I think we will be in trouble

the central will be strong.. I'd assume the top 3 in some order are Dallas, St Louis, and Colorado, with Nashville, Winnipeg and maybe Chicago fighting for WC 1 & 2..  Minny should be awful.. 

Vegas and Calgary should be 1 & 2 in the Pacific.. LA & Anaheim should be terrible.. that leaves SJ, ARI, VAN & long shot EDM fighting for that 3rd spot. 

Assuming EDM is out of the race, are we going to beat out SJ & ARI for the 3rd? who knows, but if we don't, are we really going to beat out 3 of SJ/ARI, CHI, WIN & NAS for a wild card spot? 

I think it's a crap shoot, but sadly no.. 

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If people think the Canucks are unfairly rated in the betting odds, the best thing to do is bet on them. 

Thats exactly what the odds are about. Vegas wants even bets across all teams so they make the odds attractive enough so people bet on even the worst teams.If a bunch of betters choose the canucks the betting line changes to less odds... if nobody is betting on them they keep increasing the odds.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mpt said:

People assuming this team is a playoff team is laughable.  Sure if everything pans out the way we want, maybe but there are a lot of what ifs.

Your gonna end up in someones sig.

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Your gonna end up in someones sig.

I don’t see why I would be, I didn’t say we wouldn’t, I’m saying a lot of things need to happen to make the playoffs and we would need a lot of negatives to fall into the bottom 5.  How is that not the truth?

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

I've got a gut feeling (or maybe it's just a genuine desire) that we'll actually finish with more points in 19-20 than the Leafs. I think their roster got worse, plus they're due for their own slate of injuries, and our roster got better. Wouldn't that be sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!?!

4 hours ago, mpt said:

I agree, but on the flip side, 

What if:

Boeser isn’t his old self

Pettersson has a sophomore slump

Markstrom can’t repeat his breakout season

Miller doesn’t find chemistry

Hughes struggles in a top 6 role

Tanev and Edler go down with injuries

Then this year will be a bottom feeder.

We all hope everything goes well and everyone performs as best they can but likely some of these what ifs do happen.

All I can say is I’m excited for next year and getting rid of Eriksson and Sutter would push me over the top.  Especially if they can add some muscle

Ah, the glass is half full! Excellent!

6 hours ago, Aladeen said:

Sorry I don't follow, why would the Canucks need to pass teams like the Islanders or Rangers to make the playoffs? You do realize they are in different conferences and are not competing with each other for playoff spots?

Top 3 of the Pacific Division or Top 8 of the Western Conference is all that matters in terms of a playoff spot for the Canucks. 

Maybe you are just talking about Cup winning odds and not the odds of getting to the playoffs? 

Good point. Yes, the Canucks are not literally competing with the islanders and Rangers for a playoff spot. I just meant that, in terms of point totals, they would need to be at that general level. I will edit my post.

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

People underating this team are going to be in for a surprise. This roster has been substantially upgraded from what it was at this point last year.

Out-

Leipsic (barely NHLer)

Granlund (bottom 6 forward)

Schaller (4th line/healthy scratch)

Del Zotto (bottom pairing Dman/healthy scratch)

Gudbranson (bottom pairing Dman)

Pouliot (bottom pairing Dman/healthy scratch)

Hutton (bottom pairing Dman)

Nilsson (poor backup)

In-

Miller (top 6 forward)

Pearson (middle 6 forward)

Leivo (bottom 6 forward)

Myers (top 4 Dman)

Hughes (top 4 Dman)

Benn (bottom pairing Dman)

Demko (solid NHL backup)

That's a pretty significant upgrade, however you slice it. Add in the fact that the schedule isn't going to be as bad this year, which will (hopefully) help alleviate some of the injuries. Also, the extra offense that the D is likely to provide can't be overstated. It's entirely likely that Edler, Hughes and Myers will all finish with 30+ points, which is production we haven't seen from our back end in years (the 2011/2012 season is the last time we've had 3 defensemen with more than 30 points). The extra offense from the blueline should carry over to the forwards as well, meaning more points for Petey, Brock, Bo, etc....

There are still issues with the roster that need to be addresses over the next couple of years, but I think it would be foolish to underestimate this group. Playoffs are a very real possibility. Maybe not a given, but the suggestion that this group isn't significantly improved from last season is objectively false.

What a difference from last year that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nhl/odds/futures/

As of the first week in July/2019 most odds makers have the Canucks finishing as one of the bottom 10 teams in the league.

There is always a chance the "Pesky Canucks" can prove the odds makers wrong I think they finish in the top 16 NHL teams 

How can anyone take odds seriously for a league where no team has they starting lineup in place whatsoever.   Compare times in early July last year to what started in October - lots of change can still occur.    Further, look at the odds from last year at this time - they failed on nearly 1/2 of the playoff teams.

Even some Canucks fans are pretty down on this team. They seem to feel this team still sucks and will be a bottom feeder again. I don't agree with that, and actually think the Canucks will get in this year. But if I'm wrong, then I suppose another Top 10 pick wouldn't be so bad.   

12 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How can anyone take odds seriously for a league where no team has they starting lineup in place whatsoever.   Compare times in early July last year to what started in October - lots of change can still occur.    Further, look at the odds from last year at this time - they failed on nearly 1/2 of the playoff teams.

The odds are serious because people are betting right now and for the next 11 months. They make the odds to get even bets across the board on all teams. If no one bets on Calgary, they just increase the odds until people do bet on them... they want the same bets on Calgary as there is going to be on St.Louis etc.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

My hope is we can monitor the odds as the year progress' and they just keep getting better

As a team gets better and more people place bets on that team, the odds get better. Its all based on people placing bets on that team.

On 7/8/2019 at 7:51 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

People underating this team are going to be in for a surprise. This roster has been substantially upgraded from what it was at this point last year.

Out-

Leipsic (barely NHLer)

Granlund (bottom 6 forward)

Schaller (4th line/healthy scratch)

Del Zotto (bottom pairing Dman/healthy scratch)

Gudbranson (bottom pairing Dman)

Pouliot (bottom pairing Dman/healthy scratch)

Hutton (bottom pairing Dman)

Nilsson (poor backup)

In-

Miller (top 6 forward)

Pearson (middle 6 forward)

Leivo (bottom 6 forward)

Myers (top 4 Dman)

Hughes (top 4 Dman)

Benn (bottom pairing Dman)

Demko (solid NHL backup)

That's a pretty significant upgrade, however you slice it. Add in the fact that the schedule isn't going to be as bad this year, which will (hopefully) help alleviate some of the injuries. Also, the extra offense that the D is likely to provide can't be overstated. It's entirely likely that Edler, Hughes and Myers will all finish with 30+ points, which is production we haven't seen from our back end in years (the 2011/2012 season is the last time we've had 3 defensemen with more than 30 points). The extra offense from the blueline should carry over to the forwards as well, meaning more points for Petey, Brock, Bo, etc....

There are still issues with the roster that need to be addresses over the next couple of years, but I think it would be foolish to underestimate this group. Playoffs are a very real possibility. Maybe not a given, but the suggestion that this group isn't significantly improved from last season is objectively false.

Ferland probably helps too.

If Petey comes in stronger and doesn’t fade like last year.

if Quinn gets the PP going and stays healthy and isn’t a D liability. 

If Markstrom continues from where he was last year. 

If we can stay fairly healthy. 

Then yes I think we could scrape in.