The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

39 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

win a round....or two ;) 

Truly I'm under zero delusions. I'm not expecting that at all. I think it's going to be a challenge to make playoffs. 

But I think these moves needed to be made. EP needs a heavy power forward and some protection. 

Boeser is a shooter. He doesn't dig pucks in corners not the best back checker. We need a heavier forchecker on both top 2 lines. 

Let's see how it goes. I'll be ok with making playoffs. Not happy if we get swept but even win 1 game or 2 in 1st round. 

Let's see how it unfolds but this team has a chance at playoffs so it's good. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

EP is a better passer than Aho just from eye test. Just looks that way. Haven't looked it stats.

Aho benefited from ferland on his line. Let's see what happens to EP with a heavy player with a high  motor. 

How many times did play die on the boards with EP and Boeser. I think that will change. 

I think Miller will end up with Bo and Pearson line. He's a bit more skilled can pass the puck too. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Truly I'm under zero delusions. I'm not expecting that at all. I think it's going to be a challenge to make playoffs. 

But I think these moves needed to be made. EP needs a heavy power forward and some protection. 

Boeser is a shooter. He doesn't dig pucks in corners not the best back checker. We need a heavier forchecker on both top 2 lines. 

Let's see how it goes. I'll be ok with making playoffs. Not happy if we get swept but even win 1 game or 2 in 1st round. 

Let's see how it unfolds but this team has a chance at playoffs so it's good. 

It's a step in the right direction, I think as well. 

I kid about winning two rounds. I know how difficult and challenging it can be to win a round, let alone two rounds. But perhaps with some experience after this season, they make it to round 2 in the next few seasons. I'm not convinced that this team is Cup Contender just yet, but, I think there is a solid core now to build around, and continue to get the right pieces at the right time for a Cup run. I'm excited :) EP40 definitely going to be better than he was last year, Brock as well, Horvat seems to always and continually be making strides to getting better, and then you have the complimentary pieces like Virtanen, Gaudette, Motte, Miller, Ferland, etc. It's honestly looking like a pretty solid roster as of right now. 

I think they're going to be fun to watch this year

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

182 / Ferland

97 / Myers

115 / MIller

124 / Benn

518 hits last year - added to

Motte's 200

Virtanen's 154

Pearson 128

Edler 127 (in 57 games)

Beagle 102 (in 57 games)

Biega 101 (in 41 games).

(lost Gud's 132.)

Sorry,  can’t help myself here..   Tryamkin (rookie season)- 145 hits in 66 gp. 2016-17.      ... just sayin ;) 

Biegga a Wolverine! 

Edited by SilentSam
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

It's a step in the right direction, I think as well. 

I kid about winning two rounds. I know how difficult and challenging it can be to win a round, let alone two rounds. But perhaps with some experience after this season, they make it to round 2 in the next few seasons. I'm not convinced that this team is Cup Contender just yet, but, I think there is a solid core now to build around, and continue to get the right pieces at the right time for a Cup run. I'm excited :) EP40 definitely going to be better than he was last year, Brock as well, Horvat seems to always and continually be making strides to getting better, and then you have the complimentary pieces like Virtanen, Gaudette, Motte, Miller, Ferland, etc. It's honestly looking like a pretty solid roster as of right now. 

I think they're going to be fun to watch this year

I know after 2011, being soooooooooo close to tasting SC victory, we fiend for that feeling again. Lets just sit back and agree that we will finally have entertaining hockey to watch again.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

EP is a better passer than Aho just from eye test. Just looks that way. Haven't looked it stats.

Aho benefited from ferland on his line. Let's see what happens to EP with a heavy player with a high  motor. 

How many times did play die on the boards with EP and Boeser. I think that will change. 

I think Miller will end up with Bo and Pearson line. He's a bit more skilled can pass the puck too. 

Tell you right now there won’t be too many Matheson-type aggressions against Pettersson again...

FERLAND - PETTERSSON - BOESER

MILLER - HORVAT - PEARSON

This is a very respectable top 6.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I like this signing, and I think MF will be grest for the toughness he will bring and he is also able to score. My one observation in all of the fighting videos I've seen is that he likes to lead with the uppercut. Another smart tough guy will figure that out and he'll get tagged. He needs to mix up his punches a bit and not be so predictable. I'm knit picking I know....

On 7/11/2019 at 10:58 AM, falcons said:

Going to be in so cal end of October . Just checked schedule and they play both the kings and ducks . Wife won’t let me see both games. Which game should I choose ?

Cross the desert and see what happens in Vegas?  B)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On July 11, 2019 at 1:25 AM, filthycanuck said:

That would be awesome if a nitwit GM would offer us a 1st and a 3rd round pick to take care of our cap problems

Wow, what an amazingly stupid post, even from you. Your implication that Miller and LE have similar values is so ridiculous that even your fellow trolls are not brain dead enough to try that one.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

Hey Reilly and Barrie - meet Mr Firkland.

You're gonna love him.

But no worries.  Jason Spezza's got your back.

I hope he's nicer to Barrie, I'd like to get him as a UFA next year and free him from the Laffs. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, The Lock said:

With all this Sutter talk, here's the way I see it between our bigger contracts that could be out the door:

- Eriksson has to go one way or another. However, burying him in the minors still means we have 5mil against the cap as opposed to 6mil (thus, only a 1million in cap savings) but it's what might have to happen if a trade doesn't get done.

- Sutter is expensive, but he has a niche on the team and is of more value to us than Eriksson. He's going to be hard to move, but he at least provides our team with a solid defensive game and a guy who really does help on the penalty kill.

- Tanev is probably worth the most value of the 3 and probably our best bet at actually getting some cap space. On top of that, he only has 1 year left so he could be a good rental for a team looking to get into the playoffs or even just looking for a more stable defense.

I think, with the 3, Eriksson needs to get out of town, but I don't think anyone would disagree in thinking it will be difficult to do. Tanev has the contract that's easiest to trade while Sutter's somewhere in the middle of all of this,

Beautifully summarized.  

Benning is more positive about Eriksson in conversations at least.  But I doubt he plays one more game with the team.  It's the Gagner treatment for this guy I imagine. I think it's the minors and then hope he opts for getting out of his contract.  It is worth noting that Benning managed to trade Gagner for Spooner.   Which seemed like a hockey trade, until the Canucks bought out Spooner.  Which also seemed odd at the time -- why trade for a guy and ten minutes later you buy him out?  I think Spooner's contract was shorter than Gagner's which meant the buyout was practical, unlike the one that would have been needed for Gagner.  So... assuming this is correct, it may be that the Canucks will trade Eriksson to another team for a player with an equally bad contract, but shorter, so more workable for a buyout?

Sutter can actually play. You are right.  He probably deserves a chance to play a year of hockey. He is probably motivated too, and he is a Sutter.  This team is starting to look like a team a Sutter would like to play on.

Tanev is the best trade material (for a hockey trade, not a money move) and I think will be gone by this year's Trade Deadline. Provided that Woo or Juolevi (or even Tryamkin) can become a regular. Which means, imo, the odds are in favor of a Tanev trade, and earlier than the TDL.  

So... if Tanev is traded, then what do we get back?

Assuming the rebuild is over, do they look for a depth forward who is NOT prone to injury?  

Or do they bring back a draft pick or a prospect, because the rebuild is only 90% over?

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, he’s like Tanev at this point, with injury woes it’s tough to really count on him (and easy to forget him) but those two HEALTHY really cement our C depth and give us at least an nhl caliber top 4 defence.  He was effective once we stopped trying to play him with the twins or trying to use him as a top 6 C.

As much as we’re improved, 65+ games apiece from them might be one path to us making the playoffs this year.  

Gaudette is just pure gravy at this point but it’d be nice to see him work on his scoring touch in all-situations in Utica if he isn’t needed to start the year.  If Gaudette and Juolevi are on the farm until injuries happen that could facilitate a nice bounce back for the comets.  

I think last year was a real learning experience for Gaudette.  Easy to forget that while these older rookies are a year or two older than the Linds, they are still rookies.  He had to get used to not only the type of game that's played in the NHL, but also the length of schedule, and the intensity of some of the games when a team is working to make the playoffs.  If he got through the season without too many niggling injuries, he should have had the summer to train, look at video of his play... become twice the player he was last year.   

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, blackpluto96 said:

who cares what the Leafs nation is writing about...

Sweet deal for the type of player we need, in his prime, who wants to come to Vancouver. I'm just gonna put up my feet and enjoy this.

I've never been more excited about the Canucks.  Worst that can happen is that the team takes longer than expected to come together and they miss the playoffs.  They certainly won't finish with fewer points.  Look at the tangible additions: Ferland, Miller, Myers, Hughes and Benn.  Look at the growth: Pettersson is a year older and now more physically prepared, Boeser is starting the year without missing summer training, and Virtanen now knows he is a legit NHLer who will get ice time.   

And look at the intangibles: Sutter to start the season!!  Tanev and Edler not injured!  And Horvat in possession of 2 legit top 9 players to play with that he didn't have last year.

It will be an absolute joy to watch these games.

I think San Jose is vulnerable, Anaheim is not rebuilt, Calgary knows they can't win in the playoffs (something is wrong with the type of team they built), Edmonton is surprisingly much like last year's team (really is a surprise) -- all of which means we really can challenge for a playoff spot, not just a wildcard.  I can see us finishing 3rd in the division and being the kind of team that no one wants to play. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I hope he's nicer to Barrie, I'd like to get him as a UFA next year and free him from the Laffs. 

The meaner he is the more likely Barrie will sign here. "I'll leave a couple mil on the table to not have Ferland take my lunch money anymore. :( "

It's a shame Colorado didn't keep him this year. He's safer in Toronto.

• Cheers 1