The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

9 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

not a valid source.  But their lost if they didn't want to offer 4.  He's only 31 when his 4 years is up.  

Why is local mainstream sports media not a valid source.  

Plus it's not the age it's his concussion history the reason teams weren't offering 4 yrs.  

Edited by WHL rocks

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There. I fixed it even better for you too ::D

I think it would be a mistake to trade Tanev just yet.  The depth at rd is pretty shallow; especially for a mid pairing.  I like Stech, but not alongside Hughes, for obvious reasons.  I like Edler/Meyers   Hughes/Tanev   Benn/Stecher.  Taking Tanev out of that lineup is not improving the team.

I think JB is desperately hunting down someone who will take Eriksson + Schaller (and maybe Baer, but I think not) off his hands.  He will most likely have to package them with a sweetener or 2 though.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think it would be a mistake to trade Tanev just yet.  The depth at rd is pretty shallow; especially for a mid pairing.  I like Stech, but not alongside Hughes, for obvious reasons.  I like Edler/Meyers   Hughes/Tanev   Benn/Stecher.  Taking Tanev out of that lineup is not improving the team.

I think JB is desperately hunting down someone who will take Eriksson + Schaller (and maybe Baer, but I think not) off his hands.  He will most likely have to package them with a sweetener or 2 though.

Any Tanev move would be under the assumption they were adding another body. Either back in trade or UFA.

He's gone either during or at the end of the year anyway. People best get comfortable with that.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

12 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

After all, anyone from the bottom of their depth chart would have easily scored more than the lousy 2 goals Linden scored in game 7. Stands to reason.

D'uh, I am a "reasonable fan", I am entitled to my opinion, I don't have to pay attention to no stinking facts. Hahaha

One would have thought that "I dont friggin care to discuss this with you" sId politely would be enough but apparently you want a fight. Haha I am not giving you one. I admitted my post was not popular and that my opinion on the matter wasn't based on anything but how I have felt since about the 5th minute of the 3rd period 25 years ago...give it a rest. 

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:54 PM, WHL rocks said:

Also reported was huge reason for Ferland coming here was we were the only team to offer 4 yrs. I read it in the Province.

Apparently his concussion history was reason teams were not willing to go 4 yrs. 

one other team offered 3 yrs. 

He's young still in his prime. Cap hit is good. 

Hopefully he can stay healthy. One or 2 more concussions and he's going to have to start thinking retirement. 

As far as I know, If he has to retire because of injury, we don't have a contract, therefore contract length isn't an issue.  Or is it long-term injured reserve?

In any case, I assume length of contract isn't an issue? 

Other players have been able to put concussions behind them and have careers.  Not sure of the percentage (my fear is that it's not good) but some do have careers.  Crosby is our most famous case, as everyone knows.  The guy missed an entire season.

Sometimes I wonder if the league wouldn't have been better off if he had retired from this cause.  Might have brought about some really big changes.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gameburn said:

As far as I know, If he has to retire because of injury, we don't have a contract, therefore contract length isn't an issue.  Or is it long-term injured reserve?

In any case, I assume length of contract isn't an issue? 

Other players have been able to put concussions behind them and have careers.  Not sure of the percentage (my fear is that it's not good) but some do have careers.  Crosby is our most famous case, as everyone knows.  The guy missed an entire season.

Sometimes I wonder if the league wouldn't have been better off if he had retired from this cause.  Might have brought about some really big changes.   

Plus MF is in huge man, who is in great shape.  He’s able to play top line minutes!  That takes a real commitment to off ice work, especially for such a heavy body.  MF is a beast, and we are so much better having him.  

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Plus MF is in huge man, who is in great shape.  He’s able to play top line minutes!  That takes a real commitment to off ice work, especially for such a heavy body.  MF is a beast, and we are so much better having him.  

Battles hard, adds toughness 

micheal-ferland.jpg

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So was Lindros... and Pronger.   Today's players need better support from the league.

But, yes, I think Ferland is committed to being a top-line player.  I remember interviews where he stated that clearly.  And he won't have to be the only protector with the Canucks, as quite a few of the UFA signings and at least 2 of the recent draft picks will share the load with him.  Beagle, Benn, Myers, Roussel and the likes of Woo will share that load.

He doesn't get hit much in the fights I've seen him in, lol.  The problem is the physical game in general: he hits like a truck.  This attracts other trucks.

I watched Canucks hockey nervousley last season. Every time Pettersson was on the ice, I feared he would be targeted and a few times he was hammered or taken down with cheap shots, while Gudbranson and Hutton looked on. Luckily, he's wirey and recovers quick. But now, with the Canucks adding size and grit (Ferland, Myers, Benn and Miller), I wonder if other teams will now have tro keep their heads on a swivel. And it'll be interesting to see if Pettersson continues to be targeted, or what will happen if he is. I suspect Ferland etc will nip that in the bud. Adding these players was a great move by Benning. He not only added speed, skill and size to the roster, he added confidnce and possibly some swagger.   

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I watched Canucks hockey nervousley last season. Every time Pettersson was on the ice, I feared he would be targeted and a few times he was hammered or taken down with cheap shots, while Gudbranson and Hutton looked on. Luckily, he's wirey and recovers quick. But now, with the Canucks adding size and grit (Ferland, Myers, Benn and Miller), I wonder if other teams will now have tro keep their heads on a swivel. And it'll be interesting to see if Pettersson continues to be targeted, or what will happen if he is. I suspect Ferland etc will nip that in the bud. Adding these players was a great move by Benning. He not only added speed, skill and size to the roster, he added confidnce and possibly some swagger.   

Mutual assured destruction -- deterrence, Cold-War style, lol.

If Ferland is on his line, and if either of Myers or Benn is around.... a message will be sent.  Especially valuable every time you play a team the first time -- and I'm guessing this is true for same-Division teams most of the time.  Ferland and Miller might deal with things as they develop on the ice, while Beagle, Roussel, Myers and Benn will be watching from the bench and will see what has to be done. An instigator penalty and at worst a short suspension vs. seeing Pettersson have his career ended.  Pretty obvious what guys like Ferland and Myers will be thinking. Very significant that Ferland like Travis Green. 

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

He's gone either during or at the end of the year anyway. People best get comfortable with that.

That's merely an assumption.  Tanev could be gone - but you're premature in stating it as a matter of fact people need to get comfortable with.

You might want to get comfortable with the possiblity they re-sign him.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Battles hard, adds toughness 

micheal-ferland.jpg

needs to tuck his elbow in for a more compact, quick and direct punch...lol; it's all in the technic of how to throw a punch (however, not bad form).

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I noticed fans last year were calling for our players to attack the players who targeted our stars after the fact. That's a bad strategy that brings the Bertuzzi/ Moore incident to mind. The better strategy is to target the other teams stars if they target ours. Once we do that a few times, other teams will be less likely to take liberties with our smaller players. Word will get out not to mess with our guys or they will be putting their stars at risk.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Will not go well for Hamonic.....  and secondly that would be a great trade off for the Canucks.....

Probably not. Ferland may not be as tall as Gudbranson, but he weighs the same, if not a couple of pounds more, and can throw.