The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

shocking - you couldn't produce a "hater" quote.

no worries - it's ttotally in-vogue to posture victimization incessantly.   understandable how often that posturing is parroted.

The "fake news" is out to get meee!!

but that too, I suppose, is just part of Benning's 'plan', right.

Dnr

rarely do

If I had a yawn for this, it would be more than I usually give towards your perspectives. Really, have the last word and get it out of your system, if you need to, do your thang. 

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Those who think Baertschi is going to play with Petey and Brock don’t understand what Benning is trying to do. He came from Boston, remember?  He just signed Micheal Ferland, J.T. Miller, Tyler Myers and Jordie Benn. Those guys aren’t smurfs. They are big bodies who play a heavy game. 

This team is going to be quite different this year than in prior years. It’s gonna be a hard team to play against and we are going to have a nasty edge to our game. 

Petey and Brock will be playing with one of the big boys. Miller or Ferland. Guaranteed.  That’s why they are here. My bet is Ferland gets first dibs. The days of Petey being rag dolled without retribution are over.  Imagine Matheson trying to rag doll Petey while Ferland and Benn are on the ice. He’s not going to be able to just skate away to his bench unharmed and get away with it. It ain’t happening anymore. 

This is is a new team with a new plan and a new direction. Benning has gone all in. He has added the missing pieces. Playoffs here we come. I’m pumped. 

I can tell you Ferland won’t be a coward like Guddy and Sutter were 

so many times last season we had guys that were not team players enough to standup for smaller teammates 

Guddy is gone, just have to dump Sutter now

Matheson will be conveniently injured and will miss all games against the Canucks next season.....oh and that punk cock a nemi  in Montreal better watch his back as well 

these new Canucks are gonna leave a mark ..... literally 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

With JV, Miller and even JL as wingers for the top 9, there are some terrific combinations available for TG to put together. It will be interesting to see where players find chemistry.

Shot attempts from the D is going to go through the roof, IMO. Need some accuracy though... and no shin pads, Eddy. 

Keep your shin pads on Eddie.

6 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

5.5... dreaming.  Not likely.  

I think the biggest problem with a 2 year contract would be having to reup EP QH and BB all in the same year. I'd say it needs to be a 3 year term minimum. But yeah he's not signing for under 6.5 I'd imagine even in a bridge scenario. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Dnr

rarely do

If I had a yawn for this, it would be more than I usually give towards your perspectives. Really, have the last word and get it out of your system, if you need to, do your thang. 

:bored: = more efficient.

DNR = do not resuscitate. Fitting acronym for the #proper-rebuilders.

21 hours ago, BlastPast said:

This is actually pretty funny. I'm guessing Jeff isn't a numbers guy.   I can see him going to a Bentley dealership with a 10K budget and wondering why he can't get a deal done.

But, but, but his wife is a lawyer, so that makes him smart too. :bigblush:

8 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

I think the biggest problem with a 2 year contract would be having to reup EP QH and BB all in the same year. I'd say it needs to be a 3 year term minimum. But yeah he's not signing for under 6.5 I'd imagine even in a bridge scenario. 

they do have 6 UFAs and over 20 million in cap expiring that summer - Edler, Sutter, Baertschi, Pearson, Benn, Stecher - good support/foundation, but some not necessarily core or irreplaceable players at that point.

Additionally, LE - if he's (unlikely) still here, would have one year of term remaining.

Even a two year bridge is probably manageable - and moreover, the precedent of a bridge might apply - even to that emerging core, particularly if they are competitive or contending and want to continue to. 

Players like Boeser - cashing in on an 11 million bridge at this point - is pretty much more money than they could possibly spend in two years, even if they were to set up each and every member of their extended family - that is a whole lot of security/financial certainty, even for a bridge.

I hope Benning sets that precedent here.

When I look at Horvat, I'm not necessarily concerned about him walking, but I'd rather have had him on a bridge and then bought more years of his free agency - as it stands, he expires in 4 years, at age 27. 

22 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

5.5... dreaming.  Not likely.  

Why? Is he better at anything than Bo? I dont know if you noticed but Bo out scored him. Look at who they play on a line with and the minutes they play. And Bo still put up more points. 

• Cheers 2

58 minutes ago, xereau said:

How about Brock takes 5.5m, what the captain makes, for two seaons.

It would show character and a willingness to build the team.

A true show me bridge deal. 5.5 is still crazy money.,

Then we re-up him for big bucks if he can prove he is that big money guy.

The system has to buck at some point.

Bridge deals need to become the norm again.

If brock scores 35-40 twice give him the world. Bridge deal or bust.

Ha man.... I wouldn't take a 28% pay cut. Why should he? 

• Wat 2

21 hours ago, BlastPast said:

This is actually pretty funny. I'm guessing Jeff isn't a numbers guy.   I can see him going to a Bentley dealership with a 10K budget and wondering why he can't get a deal done.

He's not a "half order" guy either.

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I guess it's a question of his worth. Is it 5,6, or 7? I think it's around 7.

Why? Did he score 30+ does he hit? Does he backcheck? Is he super speedy fast? Why 7? Is he better than Timo Miers? Why? Is he better than BO most definately not. Why 7?

Edited by hammertime

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

I have some info that the cap is going to be HUGe in 3 or 4 years. Don't have a link but things Bettman himself said at the draft and some media coverage of, like an expiring TV rights deal for the NHL that is due for HUGE increases..and media rights globally being rolled out in the same timeframe..the cap is going way up in the new CBA because the money coming in is going way up about the time of the new CBA

side note: I am not a trevor linden fan, and I am curious if its a coincidence that the GM is doing "better" by my accounts since Linden left? Hrm.

I have always wondered if we would have won the cup if the injured Linden sat and let a healthy guy play in his place in the final? I know: sacrilege. haha

Im not a big fan of Linden either, but I met him as a person twice and I found him a bit standoffish and I have heard this from other people. But to say that he shouldnt have played in the finals is absurd!! He scored the 2 goals in the final game!

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

• Wat 3