The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

22 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

https://thecanuckway.com/2019/11/02/understanding-canucks-winger-micheal-ferlands-latest-concussion/

I just don’t see a punch from Clifford that looked significant enough to cause an injury. I thought this article was interesting. 

Every concussion you get makes it easier to get the next. That is why guys who have granite chins in MMA/Boxing in many cases end up being easy to knock out in the twilight years of their careers. 

3 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

https://thecanuckway.com/2019/11/02/understanding-canucks-winger-micheal-ferlands-latest-concussion/

I just don’t see a punch from Clifford that looked significant enough to cause an injury. I thought this article was interesting. 

I think it also makes it pretty clear why we haven't seen any sign of the beast-mode Ferland we remember from the past.  It also raises some question as to whether we'll ever see that player again.

10 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

We still have Roussel as a deterrent.

Wow, i totally forgot, did not know, Roussel played in 2011 for the nucks?? Cool, they both looked so so young

Must be a cave dweller Alf

1 hour ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Wow, i totally forgot, did not know, Roussel played in 2011 for the nucks?? Cool, they both looked so so young

Must be a cave dweller Alf

Roussel was trying out for the team in the pre-season, but didn't make the big club, so he didn't play any regular season games.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Roussel was trying out for the team in the pre-season, but didn't make the big club, so he didn't play any regular season games.

I remember that pre-season well. I was very impressed by him. I really thought we would sign him, then nope gets released from the squad and lands in Dallas, plays on their farm team then makes the big club from there...always thought he was a younger version of Burrows that we let get away from us...just glad he showed appreciation for us giving him a chance back then, which is why we were high on his list when he became a UFA. Now that is loyalty! Love this guy and can't wait for him to get back into the line up!

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I remember that pre-season well. I was very impressed by him. I really thought we would sign him, then nope gets released from the squad and lands in Dallas, plays on their farm team then makes the big club from there...always thought he was a younger version of Burrows that we let get away from us...just glad he showed appreciation for us giving him a chance back then, which is why we were high on his list when he became a UFA. Now that is loyalty! Love this guy and can't wait for him to get back into the line up!

I loved his style of play when he was in Dallas. Glad we signed him 

But... He didn't sign here because of some perceived loyalty because he played 3 exhibition games for Canucks 8 or 9 years ago before being cut... Reality is he had a pretty bad season with 6 goals in his UFA year. We offered him 4 yrs at 3 mill per with signing bonuses. No other team likely came close to that. Same as Beagle. That's the reason he signed here.

I'm glad he did sign here.. Every team needs a Roussel. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

But... He didn't sign here because of some perceived loyalty because he played 3 exhibition games for Canucks 8 or 9 years ago before being cut... Reality is he had a pretty bad season with 6 goals in his UFA year. We offered him 4 yrs at 3 mill per with signing bonuses. No other team likely came close to that. Same as Beagle. That's the reason he signed here.

He's been a pretty consistent 25-30 point player every other year who's solid defensively and is a giant PITA to play against who works hard EVERY day. The entire DAL team had a bad year that year and it was pretty clearly an outlier.

I think you're kidding yourself a bit that we were the only team likely targeting/willing to pay him or with some idea of what they'd be getting from him as a player. By most accounts he (rightly) had multiple suitors. By all means, we may have offered the most $$ and/or term (and glad we did) but I have little doubt there were other teams not far behind.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's been a pretty consistent 25-30 point player every other year who's solid defensively and is a giant PITA to play against who works hard EVERY day. The entire DAL team had a bad year that year and it was pretty clearly an outlier.

I think you're kidding yourself a bit that we were the only team likely targeting/willing to pay him or with some idea of what they'd be getting from him as a player. By most accounts he (rightly) had multiple suitors. By all means, we may have offered the most $$ and/or term (and glad we did) but I have little doubt there were other teams not far behind.

It was in an interview when he signed he stated that he always appreciated what the Canucks did for him to kick start his career. He went on noting his close friendship with Burrows as to why he chose the Canucks as well...and of course money, we did offer him a very solid contract after having an "off" year with Dallas...I don't have a link or anything to back up my claim, sorry. Maybe loyalty is not the word to choose, but he didn't forget about us giving him his first crack at an NHL roster as he stated so himself during the interview after we signed him. 

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Exactly what I'm saying.  Not sure where we disagree ....

I never said no one else offered him a deal. 

4 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Just found it, HNIC interview. Will link it. Mentions Burrows and the chance with the team way back when we had him at training camp, around 2 min mark. @WHL rocks

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hours-canucks-antoine-roussel-thriving-canadian-market/

I don't need to see that article. I believe you. And ofcourse he's going to say that. That was his connection to the team from 8 yrs prior.. it's pretty routine generic stuff. All players say things like that. 

But he didn't sign here because of that.  He signed here because we offered the best contract.

But rest assured if DAL offered him same contract he would have stayed there. 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't need to see that article. I believe you. And ofcourse he's going to say that. That was his connection to the team from 8 yrs prior.. it's pretty routine generic stuff. All players say things like that. 

But he didn't sign here because of that.  He signed here because we offered the best contract.

Okay thanks, just showing proof cause people really call posters out if you say something with out backing up...you know no pic or vid, no proof. Was just trying to ensure you I wasn't talking out my ass lol. For sure, I agree that most players can say that. But the way his eyes light up talking about Burrows and our team is what makes me believe him. I don't think it's just an "off the shelf" comment from him, I actually think he meant it. But of course that's my opinion. Cheers.

• Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I think at some point, Roussel said he wanted back into a Canadian market, missed the fan intensity. No matter the whys, just glad he is on the team. I also thought he would get a contract the year he tried out in Chicago. The Wolves were disfunctional.under MacTavish. Ownership more than MacT I think. Baumgartner was on that team.    

I'm a little concerned about Ferland. He was brought in to be a physical player with size, but who could also help provide some offence. I wonder if these concussion issues will follow him the rest of his career, because of the style of game he plays. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm a little concerned about Ferland. He was brought in to be a physical player with size, but who could also help provide some offence. I wonder if these concussion issues will follow him the rest of his career, because of the style of game he plays. 

Probably why he came cheaper than what he initially was asking for.

On 11/2/2019 at 12:47 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

My guess is that he had post-concussion syndrome all along,

Every player goes through a physical at the end of the year and one at the beginning of the next year that both the player and team must sign off on.  The reason is to prevent players from claiming injuries from non hockey related injuries suffered in the offseason.  If Ferland was concussed this whole time then both the Hurricanes and the Canuck training staff missed it, I find that unlikely.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hate to make this comparison of sorts, but I can`t help seeing the subtle similarities. This kind of reminds me of Loui. Benning brought Eriksson in to play with the team`s best Swedes on the top line. Loui has been unable to get close to his 30 goal season in BOS, and is now considered an expensive 13th forward. He`s never lived up to expectations, and may be untradeable.

Benning also brought in Ferland, who produced 40 points a season over the last two years and was considered one of the leagues tough guys, and who would play with the team`s best Swede on the top line. Ferland has struggled to produce so far, and now he`s out with a concussion (his 4th?). He was taken off the top line early in the season and has struggled to find his groove. 

Can Ferland get back on track? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hate to make this comparison of sorts, but I can`t help seeing the subtle similarities. This kind of reminds me of Loui. Benning brought Eriksson in to play with the team`s best Swedes on the top line. Loui has been unable to get close to his 30 goal season in BOS, and is now considered an expensive 13th forward. He`s never lived up to expectations, and may be untradeable.

Benning also brought in Ferland, who produced 40 points a season over the last two years and was considered one of the leagues tough guys, and who would play with the team`s best Swede on the top line. Ferland has struggled to produce so far, and now he`s out with a concussion (his 4th?). He was taken off the top line early in the season and has struggled to find his groove. 

Can Ferland get back on track? 

Every UFA signing can be compared to some level to LE.  However it's the differences that are important.  Furley was signed to play at a much younger age, for a different role, for less term, and for less dollars.  Furley, unlike LE will contribute to winning whether he is playing that enforcer role or not.  LE either plays top six and produces points, or he is nothing more than taking a roster spot.

I see a lot more differences than similarities between the two signings and players.  

Oh, and all other Canadian cities that have NHL teams are crappy, cold, bug infested, dirty, smelly places to live.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Every UFA signing can be compared to some level to LE.  However it's the differences that are important.  Furley was signed to play at a much younger age, for a different role, for less term, and for less dollars.  Furley, unlike LE will contribute to winning whether he is playing that enforcer role or not.  LE either plays top six and produces points, or he is nothing more than taking a roster spot.

I see a lot more differences than similarities between the two signings and players.  

Oh, and all other Canadian cities that have NHL teams are crappy, cold, bug infested, dirty, smelly places to live.  

Ding ding ding, Ferland like Jake will be worth their weight in gold come playoffs. The team is doing well, best thing we can hope for now is Ferland comes back fully healthy.

Alf I hate your basketball takes, but more often then not I agree with you when it comes to hockey talk.

• Like 1