The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Myers l #57 l D

-DLC-

53 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Gudbranson is around 30% and similar size and points

Gudbranson plays almost 4 minutes less per game--he is more of a #4 guy, whereas Myers is being used as a 2/3 guy right now. Gudbranson also has worse defensive numbers than Myers generally speaking and is actually used in a highly offensive role, which gives a boost to his offensive numbers. His oZS% is over 60%, which is very high compared to Myers at 45.3%.

• Cheers 1

On 5/13/2022 at 10:25 AM, -AJ- said:

Gudbranson plays almost 4 minutes less per game--he is more of a #4 guy, whereas Myers is being used as a 2/3 guy right now. Gudbranson also has worse defensive numbers than Myers generally speaking and is actually used in a highly offensive role, which gives a boost to his offensive numbers. His oZS% is over 60%, which is very high compared to Myers at 45.3%.

Well, then you have to compare the D partner etc. Much of the difference depends on who they play with and wich role they have in the team.
Do you believe Myers would play as much in the Flames?

On 5/13/2022 at 1:25 AM, -AJ- said:

A guy paid like Myers needs to carry his pairing.  He doesn’t unless it third pairing minutes.  He is the guy who needs a high end partner in top four minutes.  

3 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Well, then you have to compare the D partner etc. Much of the difference depends on who they play with and wich role they have in the team.
Do you believe Myers would play as much in the Flames?

Probably not, due to to the depth of their team, but I do think he would be relied on more than Gudbranson currently is for the Flames.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

A guy paid like Myers needs to carry his pairing.  He doesn’t unless it third pairing minutes.  He is the guy who needs a high end partner in top four minutes.  

Do you think we could find a free agent Myers replacement that's as good as he is for less than $6M? I'm not so sure it could be done unless a hidden gem is found.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Do you think we could find a free agent Myers replacement that's as good as he is for less than $6M? I'm not so sure it could be done unless a hidden gem is found.

Wouldn't the team we hope to trade Myers to be better off just going after that free agent, assuming one exists (unless we retained part of Myers salary, which negates the benefit)

5 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Wouldn't the team we hope to trade Myers to be better off just going after that free agent, assuming one exists (unless we retained part of Myers salary, which negates the benefit)

Yes, that does make sense to me. Even if we trade Myers for a replacement defenseman, I'm not sure he would be as good as Myers if he were cheaper than $6M, and, if he were, we would likely have to add on our end to get him. I suppose the key is if Allvin can find a defenseman that is being undervalued by his team's GM and acquire him in a trade. At the end of the day, it all comes down to identifying value where others don't and that is much of how GMs build super teams with reasonable contracts.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Yes, that does make sense to me. Even if we trade Myers for a replacement defenseman, I'm not sure he would be as good as Myers if he were cheaper than $6M, and, if he were, we would likely have to add on our end to get him. I suppose the key is if Allvin can find a defenseman that is being undervalued by his team's GM and acquire him in a trade. At the end of the day, it all comes down to identifying value where others don't and that is much of how GMs build super teams with reasonable contracts.

The way I'm looking at it right now is that if we can get a slight downgrade on Myers for half the salary it gives us the space to bring in an upgrade to play with Hughes. The OEL-Myers pairing was a great shutdown pairing this year, but I think not having a d partner that can sustainably play top 4 minutes with Hughes hurts us much more than a slight downgrade on Myers.

I definitely don't think Myers is a useless player, and I liked his play this year, but I'm just wondering the best way to structure the defense.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DanielCloutier said:

I like Myers and I don't think overpaid for what he brings but I wouldn't be surprised if we get rid of him for pick + prospects and replace him with someone of equal or lesser cap hit in free agency who's a bit more of a "stay at home" type to free up OEL offensively.

Looking at highlights, a lot of OEL's goals in the past came from him sneaking in down low in the offensive zone and ripping a shot, and I'm sure that play also resulted in a share of assists from rebounds or opting for a cross crease pass. This year we didn't see much of that. It was more shots and plays from the point, and I think it's partially because Myers plays somewhat of a similar risk-reward kind of game and OEL had to play more balanced as a result. I think if we pair OEL with someone who sits back more he might be able to press a bit more and get his point totals back to his career norms.

And give more values to balance his cap.

19 hours ago, Googlie said:

The key is to free up some cap space. The perfect replacement doesn't have to come instantly.

For now it suit us to find another Schenn or similar for around one mill.

Just to let OEL get into some action more. 

19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I enjoy every ones spreculation of lets trade Myers and replace him with a equal but less expensive and young D'man ...... LIke who or should that be whom :) Sounds so simple but t isn't because if some other team a has a player with all these criteria  why would they send to Vcr. Doesn't make sense

Edited by Fred65

51 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I enjoy every ones spreculation of lets trade Myers and replace him with a equal but less expensive and young D'man ...... LIke who or should that be whom :) Sounds so simple but t isn't because if some other team a has a player with all these criteria  why would they send to Vcr. Doesn't make sense

I hope you don’t include me on that list.

I just want the six mill off the cap. Whatever Allvin does with it is up to him.

We got Hughes and OEL as the offensive Ds

They both need partners that stay behind and those can be pretty cheap.

Putting Myers on 3rd pair seems expensive.

9 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Personally, my spreculation is that they try to move his contract in the offseason, and then pick up a big, defensive UFA defenseman. I said in an earlier post that Myers isn't really a role player. He does some of this, some of that, but doesn't excel in any particular area. (Except perhaps besides leaning against guys on the boards). Still, he does enough on the defensive side that he needs to be replaced by a role, defensive-first player. As has been pointed out, we have Hughes and OEL for scoring, and hopefully Rathbone can find a permanent spot on the left. That means everyone on the right should be a defensive compliment. Schenn is a keeper in a lower pairing, but we need a truly solid defensive guy for the top pairing with Hughes, and to support our PK. 

#1 on my list is Manson. Chiarot might be my second choice. 

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

Personally, my spreculation is that they try to move his contract in the offseason, and then pick up a big, defensive UFA defenseman. I said in an earlier post that Myers isn't really a role player. He does some of this, some of that, but doesn't excel in any particular area. (Except perhaps besides leaning against guys on the boards). Still, he does enough on the defensive side that he needs to be replaced by a role, defensive-first player. As has been pointed out, we have Hughes and OEL for scoring, and hopefully Rathbone can find a permanent spot on the left. That means everyone on the right should be a defensive compliment. Schenn is a keeper in a lower pairing, but we need a truly solid defensive guy for the top pairing with Hughes, and to support our PK. 

#1 on my list is Manson. Chiarot might be my second choice. 

Manson is absolutely the target. Basically just a pure shutdown defender. 

37 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Manson is absolutely the target. Basically just a pure shutdown defender. 

I like Manson but he's a short term fix. He's 31 this coming season, and a minus player with the Avs, how about  Zadorov, big 6'6"/235 27 years old and mean to go with it and yet is a plus player, UFA. Even Gudbransson seems to have cleaned his game up and frankly most of his problem in Vcr was the game Green wanted him to play, looking good in Calgary, he's 29 and a UFA. I can't imagine Calgary not signing** one or both of these guys, there's the rub. I could see BB bringing the best out of GUdbransson

** Calgary like many are in a Cap crunch and need to re sign Tkachuk, Gaudreau& Magipane this summer

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I like Manson but he's a short term fix. He's 31 this coming season, and a minus player with the Avs, how about  Zadorov, big 6'6"/235 and mean to go with it and yet is a plus player, UFA. Even Gudbransson seems to have cleaned his game up and frankly most of his problem in Vcr was the game Green wanted him to play, looking good in Calgary, he's 29 and a UFA

Zadorov and Gudbranson are benefiting from being on a great team, their play probably drops off anywhere else they go. We see this with free agents all the time. 

Manson is deployed in a pure defensive role, takes the hard matchups, barely gets any offensive zone starts, it makes sense for him to be a minus player. 

I'd say both Gudbransson and Zadarov are Defensive players. I agree they're on a quality team but Manson is playing with Colorado, not exactly bottom of the barrel. I might add Myers is a plus player

Edited by Fred65

40 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I'd say both Gudbransson and Zadarov are Defensive players.

I'd tend to agree with this, but for whatever reason, they seem to be used in offensive situations a ton. Both guys have over 60% oZS% this year with the Flames, which is higher than both Hughes and Makar. It stands to reason that this would push their offensive numbers up a bit and may be part of why they both had personal bests in points this year.

18 hours ago, DanielCloutier said:

Implying we'd have to give up assets to trade him because of his cap hit? I don't think we'd need to. We might not get anything earth shattering but he's a top 4 defenseman with size who can play pk and 2nd pp if you need him to and only has 2 years left at $6M. He's aged better than we thought he would when we signed him initially and I think other teams see that. I'd bet we get a positive return for him. If you can get a 3rd for Hamonic at $3M then surely you can get something for Myers at $6M.

A little misunderstanding.

I meant get rid of Myers and  ”I think if we pair OEL with someone who sits back more he might be able to press a bit more and get his point totals back to his career norms”

That decision free up around 3-5 in cap.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I'd tend to agree with this, but for whatever reason, they seem to be used in offensive situations a ton. Both guys have over 60% oZS% this year with the Flames, which is higher than both Hughes and Makar. It stands to reason that this would push their offensive numbers up a bit and may be part of why they both had personal bests in points this year.

Sutters hockey seems to work that way.

First game I saw with them I was surprised how much Tanev was in offensive zone.

With us he was almost always left behind. 

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Sutters hockey seems to work that way.

First game I saw with them I was surprised how much Tanev was in offensive zone.

With us he was almost always left behind. 

It's a bit surprising to be honest. He uses stay-at-home defensemen offensively. An interesting tactic to be sure.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It's a bit surprising to be honest. He uses stay-at-home defensemen offensively. An interesting tactic to be sure.

Apparently Calgary often starts play in the offensive zone. Chris Tanev, who had the lowest offensive zone start percentage among Flames regulars, was at 49.6% oZS