The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Myers l #57 l D

-DLC-

I’ve wanted him gone for years BUT I think he could flourish in a more sheltered role, with no PK time because he’s a clueless fool out there, playing a safe, simple game on the third pairing in a contract year. 

the only question is can they afford him under the cap. I’d say he’s more important than one of the excess wingers, need that D depth. 

Edited by Sylas
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/12/2023 at 4:13 AM, Alflives said:

Pearson is not playing anymore. He will finish this contract with insurance paying the bill. Because of the nature of his injury though he must continue to make every effort to come back and play so the insurance coverage will continue. Lots of players, who are on LTIR, end up on Robideau Island. Pearson is on the island and building a house. He’ll be moving in soon enough. 

Can you explain this “Robideau Island” to me? I’ve seen it mentioned a lot lately, but I don’t know what it is.

43 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

Can you explain this “Robideau Island” to me? I’ve seen it mentioned a lot lately, but I don’t know what it is.

I believe Robidas was the first player to be put on LTIR for multiple years to end his career following the implementation of the cap.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2023 at 4:27 PM, Bure_Pavel said:

I hope we dont trade Myers for a forward, would be dumb. We only have 5 proven and capable NHL dmen, if we trade Myers we are down to 4. When injuries hit our paper thin D depth will get exposed. We have a lot of plug ins like Juulsen, Breezy, Woo, Johansson, Hirose, Wolanin, Rathbone but none of them have proven they can be a consistant NHL Dman nevermind lock down a top 4 spot. One or two of them may get there in time but need at least one more year to find out. Wolanin is probably the closest to being an regular NHL D man.  

trade myers for anything, dude has zero value , getting paid like top 4 dman.

1 hour ago, Citizen Erased said:

24 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

I believe Robidas was the first player to be put on LTIR for multiple years to end his career following the implementation of the cap.

Indeed. To say a player is going to Robidas Island is a reference to Stephane Robidas, who was famously put on LTIR and retired that way. It's used to imply a player's injuries or illnesses are ending their careers and that they're likely going to be on LTIR indefinitely until the end of their career, no longer playing any more games.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ex: 

To ARZ

Myers ( owed 1 million, cap hit 6)

To VAN 

Dumba

2 million in cap space 

similar players 

dumba slightly better 

owed more actual money but lower cap hit 

Myers still can be flipped at TDL for a pick like a 3rd or 2nd if he’s really killing it 

im sure nucks have spoken to ARZ about this 

only potential hang up we could guess is if ARZ is on his no trade list…

dumba at tdl could get a 2nd but I doubt ARZ would care about that if they get to save 3 million 

Edited by Canucks Curse

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

Bear if you cannot use the cap to get the much needed top 4 d man that would actually make us a bottom tier playoff team 

target 

JJ Moser 

Mrosissey 

Pesce if he will sign with us 

Pionk 

Dhillon

Demelo 

Morrissey would need a massive overpayment to get.

RHD do not grow on trees, nor to teams like trading them unless you overpay.

Pesce has a 15 team no trade, why would he want to play here? And for all you know if you offer him $6 million it might turn out to be a Myers redux.

I hate Myers contract, and he's overpaid for what he brings. But unless you want to pay through the nose, I don't see much options.

• Upvote 1

There are a lot of random guys out there who could be signed on the cheap...Klefblom, Gardiner, Nemeth are probably the big free agents left, Bear is obviously still out there but then there's also guys like Koekkoek, Pysyk and Michael Stone. We're probably talking only a couple of mil here and there if that.

To be honest though I wouldn't be against seeing what Myers can do with a full off-season under new tutelage. I really wanted to see what OEL could have done and if we could have re-started his career, but never got a chance. To be honest I doubt Myers will come back reformed like a new Karlsson. I think the main thing will be sheltered minutes - if we get him down to 17-18 minutes a night (if that) then he may play really well for us. Obviously 6M for that is ridiculous but it happens a lot around the league and you wouldn't want to give up too much to get rid of just 1 year's worth of that, IMO it's not that bad.

Of course if Pearson is healthy we have to do something to get the cap down...

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Morrissey would need a massive overpayment to get.

RHD do not grow on trees, nor to teams like trading them unless you overpay.

Pesce has a 15 team no trade, why would he want to play here? And for all you know if you offer him $6 million it might turn out to be a Myers redux.

I hate Myers contract, and he's overpaid for what he brings. But unless you want to pay through the nose, I don't see much options.

I think nucks are a good top 4 d away from:

1. being a perennial playoff team 

2. being competitive enough to resign Petey 

3. stability which we haven’t had in 10 yrs 

id “overpay” pay for that 

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

I think nucks are a good top 4 d away from:

1. being a perennial playoff team 

2. being competitive enough to resign Petey 

3. stability which we haven’t had in 10 yrs 

id “overpay” pay for that 

We have at best 2 solid forward lines, and 2 solid defencemen, and a solid goaltender. And 4 possible question marks on defence.

We are no where near as close as you think.

I'd rather try and get a defenceman who is unproven in the NHL but is ready for a breakout.

Maybe be smart with our moves. Not lose assets for a hail mary.

I don't think we're in a rush to move him now, let the trades come to us. Other teams will looking at a steal of a deal 1M, and if we retain 1 or 2M in cap. He's going to save alot of energy in a lesser role. And he's a beast I'm the playoffs. And he has better coaches now that can help him.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't think we're in a rush to move him now, let the trades come to us. Other teams will looking at a steal of a deal 1M, and if we retain 1 or 2M in cap. He's going to save alot of energy in a lesser role. And he's a beast I'm the playoffs. And he has better coaches now that can help him.

As much as he was a gong show last year, he's going to be playing for his next contract. And like you say, he's working with better coaches in a lesser role. 

Depending if we're in a playoff position, trade him at the TDL. 

• Cheers 1

On 9/1/2023 at 7:21 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

In various posts over the past several months I have expressed the opinion that I think Myers should be traded as soon he becomes "tradeable" due to paying his bonus on Sept. 15 and I have said that I think that is what the Canucks will do.

At this stage, I am revising my opinion. There are three reasons.

1. I thought the Canucks needed cap space to upgrade the 3C position. But the Canucks managed to sign Suter and Bluegar on cheap contracts that fit under the cap without needing to get rid of any significant contracts.

2. It has become clear that Poolman will start the season on LTIR.  That was always expected but there was some uncertainty.

3. With Poolman on LTIR, the Canucks can be cap compliant even if Mikheyev and Pearson (and Myers) are on the active roster to start the season, although they would need to have a 22-man roster to do it. But with Abby so close, I do not see a significant problem with going with just 22 guys instead of 23. 

4. There is some chance that Mikheyev will not be ready to start the season. If so, he could go on LTIR, eliminating any cap concerns to start the season. When he comes back, assuming everyone is still healthy (which is unlikely) the Canucks can then go to a 22-man roster.

5. While 6M is too high a cap hit for a third pairing D, it is likely that Myers would be a good 3rd pairing RD. His numbers were poor last year, especially on the PK. But with other guys being "first over the boards" on the PK and taking the tougher deployments at 5-on-5, Myers numbers would almost certainly improve.  And if Foote and Gonchar can get through to him and make him  play a smarter and more conservative game (fewer bad pinches, fewer bad penalties, etc.) he could be quite valuable. There is no-one out there who the Canucks could easily acquire who would be an obvious improvement. And his attitude seems very good right now. I would give him a shot.  I would like to see him paired with Wolanin on the 3rd pairing.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

In various posts over the past several months I have expressed the opinion that I think Myers should be traded as soon he becomes "tradeable" due to paying his bonus on Sept. 15 and I have said that I think that is what the Canucks will do.

At this stage, I am revising my opinion. There are three reasons.

1. I thought the Canucks needed cap space to upgrade the 3C position. But the Canucks managed to sign Suter and Bluegar on cheap contracts that fit under the cap without needing to get rid of any significant contracts.

2. It has become clear that Poolman will start the season on LTIR.  That was always expected but there was some uncertainty.

3. With Poolman on LTIR, the Canucks can be cap compliant even if Mikheyev and Pearson (and Myers) are on the active roster to start the season, although they would need to have a 22-man roster to do it. But with Abby so close, I do not see a significant problem with going with just 22 guys instead of 23. 

4. There is some chance that Mikheyev will not be ready to start the season. If so, he could go on LTIR, eliminating any cap concerns to start the season. When he comes back, assuming everyone is still healthy (which is unlikely) the Canucks can then go to a 22-man roster.

5. While 6M is too high a cap hit for a third pairing D, it is likely that Myers would be a good 3rd pairing RD. His numbers were poor last year, especially on the PK. But with other guys being "first over the boards" on the PK and taking the tougher deployments at 5-on-5, Myers numbers would almost certainly improve.  And if Foote and Gonchar can get through to him and make him  play a smarter and more conservative game (fewer bad pinches, fewer bad penalties, etc.) he could be quite valuable. There is no-one out there who the Canucks could easily acquire who would be an obvious improvement. And his attitude seems very good right now. I would give him a shot.  I would like to see him paired with Wolanin on the 3rd pairing.

Exactly what I was thinking. And also the part about utilizing our Abby dmen.

• Cheers 1