The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade Ryan Callahan, 2020 5th-round pick to Senators for Mike Condon, 2020 6th-round pick

2 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

I mean, I don't like the guy either, but yikes

Damn, worst since Messier? That covers a LOT of bad players!

I'd take Eriksson over like, Isbister or Jeff Cowan! Or Pouliot xD

(Yes I know Cowan was a Canucks legend)

Then again I don't think Isbister or Cowan had a 6M payday but you know, inflation and all that etc.

Cowan at least tried.  Eriksson is not only a bad player, he has a bad attitude.  That digs a deep hole here.

Fans here will rip a guy hard for being a lazy bum, but you're a legend if you have mediocre talent but a ton of heart.  Look at how much people still love Gino.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Sure but they are at least playing on the team or LTIR. Ours we dont even want them on the team and they ain't on LTIR 

Its not really a lot different for many teams. The Luongo thing is a one off BS league move.

Spooner good riddance

Eriksson still plays for the Canucks and if he is here he likely will again.

26 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

So a guy who is one of the first off the ice in practice, refuses to throw any hits, and whines about his role in the media is a good fit for the 4th line?  Sorry , but LE is worse than useless at any price.  The days of soft cupcakes infesting our bottom six with laughably poor efforts are over.  I'd be ok with allowing him to compete for a spot in the press box in camp if he hadn't beaked off to the media and made excuses for refusing to put in the necessary effort to actually belong on an NHL team.  Green should have sent him to the press box far more often last year because the entitled waste of a uniform still doesn't understand that the way he plays the game is simply unacceptable.  Even inviting this locker room cancer to camp is an insult to all the players who actually give a damn and conduct themselves like professionals.

I sense you might be mildly biased against LE.

The numbers just don't support what you're feeling about him.  He's not a physical guy, but he's made a very solid career within three feet of the net........you're not successful there if you're a "coward". 

His effort level slides up and down, as it does for most players, especially older ones, but he's a cerebral player, so he tends to rely on being patient and reactive.........I'm not disagreeing that it can be frustrating as I prefer an uptempo, aggressive style myself.  I don't see it as lazy though, just a different approach.

The rest of your post is just personal, misguided vitriol, imo.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I sense you might be mildly biased against LE.

The numbers just don't support what you're feeling about him.  He's not a physical guy, but he's made a very solid career within three feet of the net........you're not successful there if you're a "coward". 

His effort level slides up and down, as it does for most players, especially older ones, but he's a cerebral player, so he tends to rely on being patient and reactive.........I'm not disagreeing that it can be frustrating as I prefer an uptempo, aggressive style myself.  I don't see it as lazy though, just a different approach.

The rest of your post is just personal, misguided vitriol, imo.

When you're making 6 million a year, don't score, and don't hit, there is zero excuse for not putting in an acceptable effort level.  Sliding from floating around to asking the  water boy to install a La-Z-Boy on the bench isn't a good fluctuation.  Even his best effort simply isn't good enough to justify his job over numerous players in our system who deserve a shot more than an entitled, selfish bum.  If your effort level slides down while you're  a marginal player and then you moan about the coach, you don't belong in the league, especially when you weren't breaking a sweat to begin with.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Eriksson's floating and mouthing off to the medias is ridiculous.  If he has the audacity to show up in camp I hope he's booed out of the building.  There is literally zero reason for this lazy piece of garbage to be wasting ice time that could be given to actual NHLers.  Useless passengers are not welcome here.

Sounds like you own the team or are the GM. Please do tell me which one it is.

Do you actually read the stuff you post, ask yourself how you must come off to those who read what you post. Do you really think that JB thinks that Eriksson is a lazy piece of garbage? Do you think your tone is a good response or do you maybe think your reaction is over the top.

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I'm fully on board with them moving him, best thing for both sides.  However, the probability of that is very low, imo......in which case, he'll likely be in the lineup.

Leivo is better in a top 6, even top 9 role.......but I think LE is better in a 4th line/defensive role than JL is.

There's zero chance they waive a younger, cheaper and at this point, arguably better Leivo, to keep Eriksson.

He doesn't fit the team's play style, he doesn't want to be here, we don't want him here, he's going to be a constant distraction if he is here and he's not needed to ice a (arguably better without him) team.

You need to be doing some pretty serious mental gymnastics to not see the writing on the wall here.

50 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

When you're making 6 million a year, don't score, and don't hit, there is zero excuse for not putting in an acceptable effort level.  Sliding from floating around to asking the  water boy to install a La-Z-Boy on the bench isn't a good fluctuation.  Even his best effort simply isn't good enough to justify his job over numerous players in our system who deserve a shot more than an entitled, selfish bum.  If your effort level slides down while you're  a marginal player and then you moan about the coach, you don't belong in the league, especially when you weren't breaking a sweat to begin with.

bobs burgers grasping at straws GIF

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's zero chance they waive a younger, cheaper and at this point, arguably better Leivo, to keep Eriksson.

He doesn't fit the team's play style, he doesn't want to be here, we don't want him here, he's going to be a constant distraction if he is here and he's not needed to ice a (arguably better without him) team.

You need to be doing some pretty serious mental gymnastics to not see the writing on the wall here.

This may all be true but if Benning cant find another home for him theres not much they can do. Send him to Utica I guess.

1 hour ago, Silver Ghost said:

This may all be true but if Benning cant find another home for him theres not much they can do. Send him to Utica I guess.

Utica, loan to another AHL (or SHL) team, retire or mutual termination.

Precisely why Loui shouldn't be 'blocking' ANY trades.

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

You'd sit Leivo to play Eriksson....?:blink: What in Gordie's name for? The constant media distraction?

The distraction is probably bigger in the stands, err, on CDC, than it is in the dressing room.

I'm sure they are well aware of it?  But I doubt Horvat, nor Pettersson, will let down their training worrying about Loui Eriksson.

BTW, we have 14 currently signed forwards.  Roussel is injured, Boeser will get signed. Still 14. Another will be injured in training camp.  The odd's Leivo loses a roster spot is minimal.  

Odd man out is Biega.  Who will clear waivers like he has the last 5 years. And possibly Goldobin. 

Goldy could knock Leivo out of a roster spot?  And if he does, good for him!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

The distraction is probably bigger in the stands, err, on CDC, than it is in the dressing room.

I'm sure they are well aware of it?  But I doubt Horvat, nor Pettersson, will let down their training worrying about Loui Eriksson.

BTW, we have 14 currently signed forwards.  Roussel is injured, Boeser will get signed. Still 14. Another will be injured in training camp.  The odd's Leivo loses a roster spot is minimal.  

Odd man out is Biega.  Who will clear waivers like he has the last 5 years. And possibly Goldobin. 

Goldy could knock Leivo out of a roster spot?  And if he does, good for him!

Yeah I'm not suggesting that Loui would be an active distraction 'on his own'. Fans WILL boo him. The media WILL be constantly asking the players, coaches and management about him, his play, his contract, the booing fans etc. 

You don't see how that could become a distraction to the team? Our crack media will practically ensure it does in fact.

I'd imagine Eriksson, Schaller and Goldobin are on the short list of players expected to be waived/13th F. Unless Leivo shows up in Wellwood shape, there's no chance they waive him over Eriksson.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You don't see how that could become a distraction to the team?

It shouldn't be.

Tune it out...

We don't have to read, or debate articles by Tony Gallagher, or JD burke either.  

Its only a negative drumbeat if you pick up the rhythm. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

right its cherry picked when it doesn't fit your idea :lol:

He was 4th in that stat among Fs btw. http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?report=skaterpenaltykill&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20182019&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&position=F&playerPlayedFor=team.23&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=shTimeOnIce

Granlund led in that stat. Do you miss Granlund from the lineup?

Honestly I don't care if you like him or not, the stats don't warrant the label of "garbage".

1st. You do realize fenwick only accounts for even strength. 

2nd. You do realize it’s no very accurately kept. 

3rd. It was created by an Alberta blogger that removes blocked shots as if that makes you better defensively. Haha 

Explain how in context how LE’s fenwick stat means he’s better defensively then jay beagle. I’ll wait potentially since you seem to think LE is a top 20 PKer haha 

Loui only averaged 1:11 on the pk per game. AGAIN 6th amongst forwards on our team. Learn how to read. Heck Tyler motte averaged 1:43.  Beagle and Sutter were both 2:49+.

You quoting total TOI is funny. Sutter almost played more total SH TOI in a whopping 55 LESS game haha. 

Now why would green use those players ahead of the oh so good super defensive skilled LE, who happens to be stellar in fenwick. Haha green must be off his rocker hey?  

Next.....

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

It shouldn't be.

Tune it out...

We don't have to read, or debate articles by Tony Gallagher, or JD burke either.  

Its only a negative drumbeat if you pick up the rhythm. 

Colorado improved pretty signifigantly after they moved Duchense.  Same with the Islanders and Tavares.  The players are human and it's good to get rid of unwelcome distractions, especially when they don't contribute on the ice.

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah I'm not suggesting that Loui would be an active distraction 'on his own'. Fans WILL boo him. The media WILL be constantly asking the players, coaches and management about him, his play, his contract, the booing fans etc. 

You don't see how that could become a distraction to the team? Our crack media will practically ensure it does in fact.

I'd imagine Eriksson, Schaller and Goldobin are on the short list of players expected to be waived/13th F. Unless Leivo shows up in Wellwood shape, there's no chance they waive him over Eriksson.

How about don't boo him? And don't feed the media trolls. These two actions by so called "fans" are only hurting the team. It's not like he ran down the entire organization and the fanbase and how often does the media know what they're talking about, so why care about them now?

I'm not suggesting we should waive Leivo for LE, but if LE is on the opening day roster, it's because he earned it out of camp. The Canucks management have demonstrated that they will waive those who don't earn their spot.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Colorado improved pretty signifigantly after they moved Duchense.  Same with the Islanders and Tavares.  The players are human and it's good to get rid of unwelcome distractions, especially when they don't contribute on the ice.

Islanders improved because they got a legit coach who implemented pretty much a modern day trap system, not because Tavares left as a distraction.

I don't know if it's solely on Duchene leaving that made Colorado better or maybe more along MacKinnon finding another level to his game and clicking with a young Rantanen.

33 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Leivo, there's no chance they waive him over Eriksson

I wouldn't expect so.  

But they'll have training camp.  Motte beat Gagner out of a job last year. Jake was sent to Utica his sophomore year. Even though we did not have a Leivo to replace him? I took a lot confidence from that. That it is competition, jobs can be won and lost. Motte also beat out Leipsic. You have to earn a job. 

It will simply play out.  The contract part is already done. But the coach will get the autonomy to pick the team, regardless. 

I'm happy we could be waiving somebody better than Jason Megna. Not fretting over that. Benning is improving.

12 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

How about don't boo him? And don't feed the media trolls. These two actions by so called "fans" are only hurting the team. It's not like he ran down the entire organization and the fanbase and how often does the media know what they're talking about, so why care about them now?

I'm not suggesting we should waive Leivo for LE, but if LE is on the opening day roster, it's because he earned it out of camp. The Canucks management have demonstrated that they will waive those who don't earn their spot.

Who said I was going to boo him or consume the media?

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Whether you think it's 'sad' or not, burying your head in the sand about it isn't going to change it. Some fans WILL boo him. Media WILL constantly be be asking questions about it.

The team doesn't need the distraction.

And Eriksson is not a better player than any of the younger, cheaper guys we'd have to waive to keep him on the roster. The team doesn't remotely 'need' him to compete. We have equal or better options who are both younger and cheaper AND won't be a distraction.

He's done here.